Did they blur the camera on purpose?

The Automation Guy

Known around here
Reaction score
I don't think they artificially blurred the faces. I think the camera quality (or at least this video rendering) is that bad. You can see the block artifacts in just about every sharp line in the first video clips from Rite-Aid where the perps are hitting the cash registers and liquor. The clip where they break the pharmacy glass is not so "blocky" and I don't think there is artificial blurring of their faces in those frames. I suspect that footage is from a different store. Once again however, this video footage is appalling, but pretty normal for CCTV systems. A lot of systems are pretty old and to be honest the image quality has improved tremendously over the last 5 or so years. Anything before that was pretty crappy - even for professionally installed systems.

Last edited:

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
What are you guys even talking about? Nothing about any of that looks like it was intentionally blurred. It just looks like typical low resolution and low bit rate video. Wouldn't be a point to censoring faces anyway, they all had big masks on so you'd be hard pressed to identify any of them even if the cameras were perfect for it.

IAmATeaf

Known around here
Reaction score
What are you guys even talking about? Nothing about any of that looks like it was intentionally blurred. It just looks like typical low resolution and low bit rate video. Wouldn't be a point to censoring faces anyway, they all had big masks on so you'd be hard pressed to identify any of them even if the cameras were perfect for it.
^ This, some of the clips have been enlarged hence the crappy square blockiness. The cams must be old school VGA res.