Did I exceed my wireless router?

klasipca

Banned
Reaction score
I was just surprised that it works for you. I have been dealing with wifi performance for 5 of my 3MP cams and eventually gave up and went with wired setup for most of them. On wireless I was running them at 1080p 10 fps 3Mbps, with wired I went with 3MP 20 fps 8 Mbps

but most of cams run at 2.4ghz right?!?
Yes, most cams only supportl 2.4Ghz 150 Mbps, but newer routers offer up to 600Mbps on 2.4Ghz band and they are dual band. In my case I had only IP cams utilize 2.4Ghz band and the rest of traffic sits on 5Ghz band. My router is Netgear X6 r8000 and I have full coverage for my home as well without needing any extenders.

Last edited by a moderator:

Killer Kool

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I was just surprised that it works for you. I have been dealing with wifi performance for 5 of my 3MP cams and eventually gave up and went with wired setup for most of them.

Yes, most cams only supportl 2.4Ghz 150 Mbps, but newer routers offer up to 600Mbps on 2.4Ghz band and they are dual band. In my case I had only IP cams utilize 2.4Ghz band and the rest of traffic sits on 5Ghz band. My router is Netgear X6 r8000 and I have full coverage for my home as well without needing any extenders.

Okay well these are outdoor cameras- and range is limited, My newest camera is at the back of property 150ft away from inside router. So my current router is maybe 300bps with a slow processor...maybe I do need to replace router. I think adding a second rf source would also help if on different channels.

klasipca

Banned
Reaction score
Okay well these are outdoor cameras- and range is limited, My newest camera is at the back of property 150ft away from inside router. So my current router is maybe 300bps with a slow processor...maybe I do need to replace router. I think adding a second rf source would also help if on different channels.
Yes, it has a slow processor by today's standards and multiple HD streams probably capping it

On a related router subject I am looking at this monstrosity of the router now. It's on sale for $300 right now:

http://www.staples.com/NETGEAR-Nighthawk-X8-AC5300-Tri-Band-Quad-Stream-WiFi-Router-R8500/product_1904461

Killer Kool

Young grasshopper
Reaction score