DHI-NVR5216-16P-4KS2E

Night-Owl

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Really I only need a decent nvr with good bandwidth and 2 separate 1gb nics so I can still have my separate subnets and still connect from Internet as sooner or later 100mb ports taking the load of 9 cameras and growing through 1 port is going to cause a bottleneck. The benefit of using separate poe switches is I can move the nvr anywhere I like as long as I connect to any of the switches, otherwise I would have to reroute 9 cables when the wife fancies rearranging the room :).

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
Ok makes a little more sense now. The restriction I was talking about was powering more than a couple of cameras from a NVR PoE switch. But you’re not powering them as they are powered by the various network switches. I get it.

This is also interesting, do you use bridge mode?

Last edited:

Night-Owl

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Ok makes a little more sense now. The restriction I was talking about was powering more than a couple of cameras from a NVR PoE switch. But you’re not powering them as they are powered by the various network switches. I get it.

This is also interesting, do you use bridge mode?
Hello

No, I don't use bridge mode.

Night-Owl

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Hello All,

I have an update, concentrating on the switch on the back of the NVR their are 8 POE and 8 Normal, I gradually connected to everyone, all showed activity I.e I see flashing lights on the external switch it was connected too and all POE's powered up a test camera fine, however only 4 POE's out 8 POE's and 8 normal ports successfully connected and allowed me to see all cameras. So basically it is the NVR switch and I only have 4 out of 16 ports still working. Clearly the switch is breaking down in some way and I can only demise that the other 4 will go at some point, so I will be replacing the NVR. Thank you everyone for your help.

Night-Owl

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Hi, i am hunting for a new nvr, from what i can see, you can get a 5416-4KS2(V2.0) without drive for around £160 or a 5416-EI for around £450, both have 2 * 1GB ports and the later only has 54 Mbps more throughput than the later i.e 320Mbps vs 384Mbps. So what is all the extra money for, can someone enlighten me ?, thank you

Night-Owl

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
On board NVR AI mostly.
Thanks, that's a big uplift, not sure if I would even use it, but I guess as the older one is not getting any firmware updates, it's more of a forced situation if I want to keep up to date with things.

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
Yeah, I prefer the older models myself, 5216-16P-4KS2e as I do the AI on the camera.
I cant recall seeing more than 1-2 FW updates on most NVRs and frankly they EOL them so fast it doesnt seem to make a huge difference,

The newer AI enabled NVRs are helpful if you have non-AI cameras or if you want to enable more than one AI function on a channel. (one on camera +1 on NVR)

*BUT you lose up to 1/2 of the incoming bandwidth when you enable AI on the NVR

Night-Owl

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Just as a update, I got a 5416-4KS2(V2.0) now, only cost me £160 and does what I need. I wish I had checked out the size though, these things are big in width and length. No longer will fit in a TV cabinet, so had to be repositioned, somewhere temp until I find a TV cabinet big anough for it :)