DH-IPC-HDBW4431R-ZS

frank10

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Isthis model with motorized lens (varifocal) a zoom one? How much? about 5x?
And, especially, is it driven by BI?
I mean, could you zoom inside BI on some events?

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
12mm, Zoom is a meaningless term.. but its closer to 4x

doubt it; and definitely not.. far too slow to zoom/focus.. the event will be long over before its done; its not a speed-dome PTZ

frank10

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
mmh, looking at a similar model (I think):

It seems not that bad, it's quite 5s of time to max "zoom". Having not to change your lateral view, you keep looking the same angle, so you still continue seeing what happens. More, if I have a long distance courtyyard in that direction I could take a BI event motion, little far off, and get proper zoomed portion when it needs. Of course it's different if the subject moves laterally.
In my case I think it's doable...
Anyway, apart the speed problems, is it doable inside BI and how specifically?

Kawboy12R

Known around here
Reaction score
Varifocal "zoom" in BI works by enabling ptz controls for that camera. The problem I find for zooming a varifocal is that it's usually pointed down and you're likely to want to zoom in on action in the distance, so when you zoom it crops it out of the frame. Centering on, say, the distant sidewalk generally puts too much sky and/or soffit in your wide "normal" FOV and not enough down low close to the camera. 4X makes a big difference in the FOV.

frank10

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Yes, that's another thing to keep in mind: tests needed. At worst I will have a lens at fixed good FOV for my particular needs...
Any other bad thing about this model? Is the rest all good? I had a 4421R-AS before, but I don't need audio in this one.

Kawboy12R

Known around here
Reaction score
I don't have an R-ZS so can't give specifics. I've got an HDBW4431M-I2 that the ONVIF is f****ed up on though. Video works in BI but ONVIF Device Manager doesn't work with it and BI can't see the alarm notifications because ONVIF is broken. Haven't figured out why though yet because I've got 4431 turrets on the same firmware revision that ODM sees and interacts with just fine. Try ODM and see if it works with yours just for giggles.