DESIGN

blainet

n3wb
Reaction score
You can try this web site for cam coverage. Free version only lets you put 2 cameras in at once... but you can pick the model, drop in place and move them around to see the coverage they have. Should give you a good idea of what you're going to get. IPVM Designer / Calculator

I did a quick lay out, I'm new to this too and have a ton of questions, and here's a screen shot for you just as an example of what you can see... 1651300534398.png

dudemaar

Known around here
Reaction score
Going by what @sebastiantombs said with 8 outside cams per building, I come up with a rough layout for cutting building as to what it MIGHT look like. Cameras are 8 ft high off ground, one in the back (#6) is at 7 ft. camera lenses are all 3.6mm. Maybe use 6mm for fronts? this is why I like buying the varifocal lenses, you can always change the FOV if needed.

1651317302922.png

1651317091757.png
1651317362826.png
1651317484350.png
1651317566621.png
1651317621904.png
1651317696778.png
1651317774275.png
1651317813546.png

I can taste those pepperettes already. :D

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
We have a small house and I have found that 6mm lenses are best for watching the perimeter. Granted, there's some personal preference involved but the difference in detail is very significant.

snerland

n3wb
Reaction score
Going by what @sebastiantombs said with 8 outside cams per building, I come up with a rough layout for cutting building as to what it MIGHT look like. Cameras are 8 ft high off ground, one in the back (#6) is at 7 ft. camera lenses are all 3.6mm. Maybe use 6mm for fronts? this is why I like buying the varifocal lenses, you can always change the FOV if needed.

View attachment 126718

View attachment 126717
View attachment 126719
View attachment 126721
View attachment 126722
View attachment 126723
View attachment 126724
View attachment 126725
View attachment 126726

I can taste those pepperettes already. :D
Wow! That is amazing! I can't imagine how you did that. I like the overlapping field of views

snerland

n3wb
Reaction score
Is the house the building at the upper left of the photo? If so I think you can use an RF link to it from the roof of the large, white, building. It may take a 10 foot mast on each, but it should be doable. I'd also consider RF links between the buildings. That will provide electrical isolation to avoid differences in ground potentials and surge protection from lightning strikes, and those strikes don't have to be close or exceptionally powerful to fry electronics.

In terms of cameras, on the outside either the 5442 turrets or bullets with either 6mm or varifocal lenses. Inside the buildings the 5442 series would work very well also. Lenses inside could be 6mm, 3.6mm or 2.8mm depending on the area where each camera is installed. The number of cameras inside and outside depends on too many variables for me to speculate. That said, I would suggest at least eight cameras on the outside of each building, two per side at opposite ends of each side and pointed back toward each other so the views overlap and the cameras "watch" each other. More cameras on the outside might be needed to effectively cover doors and windows depending on the size of the buidings.

I'd suggest a 24 port PoE+ capable switch for each building or at least two eight port PoE+ switches for each building. The number of ports depends on the number of cameras of course. Everything could be hard wired between the buildings, but again differences in ground potential becomes a factor Alternately you could use fiber between the buildings to provide electrical isolation.

If you have an office or relatively "clean" closet/room in one of the buildings an NVR or PC running Blue Iris could be located there. That would make monitoring from the house relatively easy and require very little bandwidth making your cable connection much more feasable.
T9
That house is on the farm but a rental. Our house is a half mile away with timber between so no line of sight. I can see the placement of cameras on each building to get good coverage. If I'm understanding you correctly, I should put a pie switch in each barn and cutting building, connect the cameras to the switchs, then connect the switches to the nvr?
I like the variable focus idea.

Last edited:

snerland

n3wb
Reaction score
T9
That house is on the farm but a rental. Our house is a half mile away with timber between so no line of sight. I can see the placement of cameras on each building to get good coverage. If I'm understanding you correctly, I should put a pie switch in each barn and cutting building, connect the cameras to the switchs, then connect the switches to the nvr?
I like the variable focus idea.

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
Yes, the idea of a switch in each building is to aggregate the feeds into one line. Contrary to misconceptions, modern surveillance cameras don't use all that much bandwidth comparatively speaking. The 21 I have running, a roughly 50/50 mix of 2MP and 4MP, use less than 200Mb/ps and actually rarely get over 180Mb/ps. I do run them at high bit rates as well, higher than most run.

With a stand of trees in the way RF would have problems although you never know unless you test and try. In any event, if you can locate the NVR or VMS in one of the buildings that will further reduce the bandwidth needed to monitor the system at the house.

ron351

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I would add 4 more cameras 2 in the center on both sides of the long building criss crossed view to get better view of the center seeing distance from corners would be so faw away. Also a PTZ with auto tracking might be nice where it will zoom in automatically on motion and track movement then return to its position waiting on the next movement.

snerland

n3wb
Reaction score
I would add 4 more cameras 2 in the center on both sides of the long building criss crossed view to get better view of the center seeing distance from corners would be so faw away. Also a PTZ with auto tracking might be nice where it will zoom in automatically on motion and track movement then return to its position waiting on the next movement.
The wonderful thing about this forum is to get counsel from a variety of skilled individuals, and to see the problems through many eyes.

dudemaar

Known around here
Reaction score
The wonderful thing about this forum is to get counsel from a variety of skilled individuals, and to see the problems through many eyes.
I agree, I learn something every time I log in and browse/search the IPCT forum. I have been meaning to donate to IPCT one of these days, so I was thinking If you think my work has value, maybe make a donation to IPCT instead of sending me those pepperettes :)

PTZ added. shown at a 25mm focal length. not sure what that is in X__ zoom? and its mounted at 12 ft high.
meat4.PNG
meat5.PNG