Dell X1018P Switch thoughts

darrenph1

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I can pick up a Dell X1018P managed switch from friend for $65. Its strange as they are $750+ from the dell store but I see them for around $125 new on eBay. Does anyone have experience with this one? Is it a decent switch or should I steer clear?

Right now I'm gearing up for a 5 camera (HDW5231r-z) install that I'd like to put on a VLAN. I plan on adding 3+ interior cams in the future and 2 or 3 IP monitors so I figure 16 ports should be enough for future proofing myself.

You half to scroll about 1/4 way down to see the P model specs.

Dell Networking X1018P Switch | Dell

Thanks!

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
The key to these used switches is making sure you avoid a power hog, specs indicate operating consumption of ~28W, which is not great for a 16 port switch.. (my 48p is ~16W) but not too terrible either.. alot of these old enterprise switches can suck up over 100W at idle and they are not worth anything to anyone.

for $65 looks like a decent deal, if you want to do vlan's then you want a router that's capable of routing between em off a vlan tagged trunk... and you'll want vlan support on all your switching hardware.

darrenph1

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
@nayr how do I tell what the power consumption from the spec sheet of these switches?