Dell Refurb desktop sale. 45% off with code: FALL45DESK

xmfan

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score

Rob2020

Known around here
Reaction score
Make sure you look at the Scratch n Dents at the same site. I have bought several S&D's and all have been perfect. I am guessing they just mark them as S&D so they can unload excess.

S&Ds offer the full factory warranty.

ETA S&Ds at a different site, adding link;

Dell Outlet

Capturesdell.PNG

Last edited:

xmfan

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
So, I've been doing a bit more thinking (thinking = trouble ) LOL.

While these refurb dell's can be a good deal, I read elsewhere that these boxes are limited to expandability or replacing parts. For example, the power supply can only be replaced one from Dell. I may start with the stock configuration but recently, I came to learn about deepstack and would like to add a GPU to take advantage of it. Adding a GPU that requires additional power, the connector may not be available on these dell boxes, or for the fact the PSU may not be adequate to support it.

The more I'm thinking (and quite possibly, I may be overthinking), the best option for me would be to build by buying my own components (case, mobo, cpu, ram, etc. etc.). I will have the flexibility to change the P/S, if needed. Add whatever graphics card, now or down the road, my choice for that decision as well.
This will come at a higher cost than buying of of these refurb dells but I would have the most flexibility.

my end goal is to successfully run up to eight 4K cams

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
You're right, these mass produced boxes tend to use some non-standard components. You can usually count on things like the CPU and hard drives and PCI express cards being replaceable, but motherboards may be custom designed for the case, and power supplies custom designed for both the case and the motherboard. I think most "desktop" mini towers can handle a GPU being added, but only if that GPU gets all its power from the PCI-E slot and does not require a connection to the power supply. It is also rare for a prebuilt dell/hp/etc box to have bays for more than two hard drives.

Building your own computer can also be fun, if you're into that kind of thing. But also stressful when something does not work right because it is all your responsibility to fix it.

xmfan

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
You're right, these mass produced boxes tend to use some non-standard components. You can usually count on things like the CPU and hard drives and PCI express cards being replaceable, but motherboards may be custom designed for the case, and power supplies custom designed for both the case and the motherboard. I think most "desktop" mini towers can handle a GPU being added, but only if that GPU gets all its power from the PCI-E slot and does not require a connection to the power supply. It is also rare for a prebuilt dell/hp/etc box to have bays for more than two hard drives.

Building your own computer can also be fun, if you're into that kind of thing. But also stressful when something does not work right because it is all your responsibility to fix it.
Thank you for your input. I am very comfortable putting PC's together, been doing that off and on for many years so no worries there.
Yeah, its time to go component shopping :p