Dell Pc based nvr

Jramosent

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Hey everyone I'm looking into upgrading a very old pc that lags at times when live streaming a Hikvision 4mp turret. I want to be able to record 247 and have at least 3 up cameras recording. I also will use this pc for gaming, internet use and movie streaming.

This is what I found-
Dell inspiron haswell i7 quad 16gb ram
It's the 4th gen i7 for 599

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Hey everyone I'm looking into upgrading a very old pc that lags at times when live streaming a Hikvision 4mp turret. I want to be able to record 247 and have at least 3 up cameras recording. I also will use this pc for gaming, internet use and movie streaming.

This is what I found-
Dell inspiron haswell i7 quad 16gb ram
It's the 4th gen i7 for 599
that is a terrible deal. You can get the optiplex systems with full 3 year warranties for 429-500 when on sale at the outlet.
Also, I would highly recommend dedicating a pc to VMS. What software will you be using?

Jramosent

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I was going to use the client software that came with the Hikvision camera. I'll check the outlets and go from their. Any specific processor I should keep and eye out for?

Jramosent

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I saw you mentioned a stand alone pc for the recording. How about a stand alone nvr where I won't have to deal with pc and recording at the same time. Any suggestions with a budget friendly nvr. Doesn't need to be anything extreme as I will only have 3-4 max.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I saw you mentioned a stand alone pc for the recording. How about a stand alone nvr where I won't have to deal with pc and recording at the same time. Any suggestions with a budget friendly nvr. Doesn't need to be anything extreme as I will only have 3-4 max.
If you are going to be using 3-5 hikvision 4mp cameras just get a haswell i5-4590 or 4590s and dedicate it to a vms. The optiplex 4590 or hp elitedesk 4590 can be had for about 300 on ebay or dell outlet.

Interpon

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I use t20 dell server with xeon..seems to work well...goes on sale for like 249.00 add digital drive ..it runs win 10..
no experience on pc but fenderman helped me and all good advice

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
There are numerous threads that discuss the advantages/disadvantages of pc based vms over an nvr. If you just want basic recording them an NVR is just fine (though pc's still offer advantages)...they do use more power though. It really depends on your needs. Personally I use blue iris because it offers lots of custom options simply not available on nvr's. I would suggest reading those threads and getting a feel of what your needs are.

Jramosent

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Interpon, with your setup is their room for a drive? And hdd?

sprucecams

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Thoughts on this? The price is $709 less 25% (coupon)
Inspiron 3847 Desktop
  • Processor: Intel Core 4th Generation i7-4790 processor (8M Cache, up to 4.0 GHz)
  • Windows 8.1 Pro (Free Upgrade to Windows 10 Pro)
  • 2TB 7200 RPM SATA Hard Drive 6.0 Gb/s
  • 16GB Dual Channel DDR3 at 1600Mhz
  • Tray load DVD Drive (Reads and Writes to DVD/CD)

Interpon

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
6 drives if you remove dvd player..i use the 1 tb for cam storage and digital 256mb for op system..works real well and low usage and memory..i think i have 4 gb ram..can add more but expensve and see no need for now..