Dell Outlet Sale 45% Off - Question Regarding PC Specs for BI

Flintstone61

Known around here
Reaction score
As an eBay Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

Flintstone61

Known around here
Reaction score
6 core/12 threads Processors. Wow. She oughta run 64 Cameras. 5.33 cameras per thread. Anybody running a 12 thread processor? I’m jealous. 32 cameras would be 2.66 cameras per thread. I suppose the bottleneck might become writing video to spinning drives.

Flintstone61

Known around here
Reaction score
If it gets bogged down, maybe you can put a few cams that aren't finicky on an NVR. If one system goes down you might still catch important stuff with the other system. What do I know......

ingeborgdot

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
This time I followed Fendermans recommendation and got the Hp Elitedesk SFF( Small form Factor) it is had 2 3.5" hard drive bays and runs windows from an NVME on board hard drive. This works better on my cameras as far as playback system response. Half the Camera's continue writing data happily while the other drive works hard to call up the video file for playback.
Makes my system more responsive and my CPU %age runs a bit lower with 2 drives.
So, will the HP be able to handle an SSD for the OS and 2 3.5" hdd? Does it have enough SATA ports and sata power plugs from the PSU? Basically what I'm saying is: The PC I'm looking at comes with an SSD. Will I be able to add 2 hdd's to this model? Thanks.

Flintstone61

Known around here
Reaction score
The PC I'm looking at comes with an SSD. Will I be able to add 2 hdd's to this model? Thanks.
[/QUOTE]
What pc are you loooking at? oh...duh..Yes. the HP Elitedesk 800 G4 SFF, i5-8500....
My Hp elitedesk is running 2 3.5” Hdd’s and windows resides on some Motherboard attached SSD or Nvme or whatever they call it now. All Sata power cables were positioned to accept the 2 hdd’s.
As far as the Sata data cables go, i dont remember if it had them or I added them.

Last edited:

Flintstone61

Known around here
Reaction score
the slim DVD drive is also using a SATA port i believe. So there would be at least 3 onboard SATA ports. check ebay for an eleitedesk 800 g4 SFF motherboard....then yu can see whats what.

ingeborgdot

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I'm kind of striking out right now. No room for 1 SSD and 2 3.5". I thought a Dell Optiplex 7040 Mini tower would work, but it has no more room either for 2 hdds, not that I could see from the manual. I may have missed something though. I may have to just build my own, I hope not though..

ingeborgdot

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
What about the HP Elitedesk? Do you know anything about it. I'm trying to find out info on that also. I'm looking at some info right now. I hope I find out good info.

ingeborgdot

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I just changed my rule of thinking. I'm going to go with room for 1hdd and 1ssd. That should help. Now just to find a good deal on a Dell or HP.

Flintstone61

Known around here
Reaction score
What about the HP Elitedesk? Do you know anything about it. I'm trying to find out info on that also. I'm looking at some info right now. I hope I find out good info.
I'm running an Elitedesk, if you dont need many cams, you could search for the Elitedesk 800 g2 SFF, or the 800 G3, or the 800 G4, in Small Form Factor (SFF) if you have room for a Tower
they make in that size too. the g2-g3-g4 have 2 drive bays for 3.5" drives, and an SSD mounted on a motherboard slot.

Flintstone61

Known around here
Reaction score

Flintstone61

Known around here
Reaction score

ingeborgdot

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Do you, or anyone else know anything about the Dell Optiplex 7040 Mini Tower? I know the board has 4 Sata ports, but I was wondering how hard it would be to get mechanical hdd in there. This has exactly what I want. i7-6700, 16GB ram, 512GB ssd. I would like to add the 1 hdd, but if it could, add 2 hdds. If only 1 is possible, I'm okay with that. I just can't seem to find anything that shows for sure.

Flintstone61

Known around here
Reaction score
I bought a 3040 MT for my friend. Same chassis. 1 Cage for 2.5” drive and 1 cage for 1-3.5” drive. Word.