Dell OptiPlex won't boot... single beep

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
This morning, I rebooted my BI PC and it won't come back up. Unplugged the power and plugged it back in. It shows power, but the screen never turns on and I hear a single beep. Not very good at troubleshooting PC boot issues and could use some help. Thanks!

Sybertiger

Known around here
Reaction score
This morning, I rebooted my BI PC and it won't come back up. Unplugged the power and plugged it back in. It shows power, but the screen never turns on and I hear a single beep. Not very good at troubleshooting PC boot issues and could use some help. Thanks!
If you have a HD for storing your BI video unplug it. Try to boot up with just the drive used for the o/s.

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
I held down F12 and then powered it up. It finally came up. I then rebooted without F12 and it came up okay. BI is running but I'm concerned the old OptiPlex 3010 is telling me something. I need to find a good replacement PC with a strong GPU! I appreciate your help!

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I held down F12 and then powered it up. It finally came up. I then rebooted without F12 and it came up okay. BI is running but I'm concerned the old OptiPlex 3010 is telling me something. I need to find a good replacement PC with a strong GPU! I appreciate your help!
why do you need a strong gpu? I run cpai perfectly on the cpu and/or integrated gpu...with yolov5 .net...use the ipcam general model for even better times

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
why do you need a strong gpu? I run cpai perfectly on the cpu and/or integrated gpu...with yolov5 .net...use the ipcam general model for even better times
Thanks @fenderman. My characterization of a "strong" GPU is probably overstated. I currently have a NVIDIA P400. I was thinking something a little more capable would be benficial. I have 16 cams on the property, all running CPAI (ipcam general).

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
Hard drive may very well be failing.
Yep, was thinking that would probably be the most likely point of failure. I think it's time to finally look for something to replace it.

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
It's also possible it took that time (a reboot/restart) to install a Windows 10 or 11 update...I've worked on several in the last year that exhibited that behavior.
Windows has always been secretive and not give much visual feedback on occasions and can pick the worst time to install the update. And it WILL go to sleep in the middle of installing an update.....I know,pretty stupid, right?
Laptops seem to have this problem more than desktops also.
On customer's PC's I change the default 5 minute sleep time to 1 hour, solves a few problems for them.