Dell Optiplex - HD is protected by password authentication system

Sybertiger

Known around here
Reaction score
If you can't mount the drive because the BIOS will not allow it, the tools running under Win10 will never see the drive.

Flintstone61

Known around here
Reaction score
The Science guys on You Tube say that Neutrino's that are passing thru everything as we speak, sometimes weakly interact with something and a "bit flip" can occur. It's very rare, but That's why they call it Computer Science.

Flintstone61

Known around here
Reaction score
Has anyone researched the (sometimes Present) 6 pin interface on the WD spinner drives? way back in the day they had Slave/Master.Cable select(CS)
But I wonder if any combination of Jumpers applied to the WD drive would clear the internal password? maybe they don't have it anymore.

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
Neutrinos penetrate most everything, including lead, if I remember correctly, like it isn't even there. Most neutrino detectors are buried underground 100 feet or more.

unclepabs

n3wb
Reaction score
Well, this doesn't look promising LOL, but y'all may know if there's a resolution. I've recently picked up a Dell Optiplex 7060 from eBay. I did a fresh install of Window 10 Pro on the NVMe M.2 it came with. I installed a new WD purple 6TB drive and formatted it. I decided to use the Dell Command Updater to make sure the correct drivers were installed for the system configuration. After I downloaded the Dell Command Updater utility and ran it, it installed 5 components it found as missing or outdated. When I went to reboot the system I got the following message at bootup and it's referring to my new WD drive. The only way I can get around this is by unplugging the data cable to the drive then rebooting. But, that doesn't help my situation with my new WD drive. Not sure it the BIOS has locked access to the drive by putting the serial number into the BIOS or what.

Any resolution to this?

View attachment 126052
Did you resolve this? Should be able to turn off drive lock password in bios setting; try looking here where they say use latest commander version as there have been bugs in previous etc >> General Hard Drive and BIOS Password Information | Dell UK <<

Sybertiger

Known around here
Reaction score
Did you resolve this? Should be able to turn off drive lock password in bios setting; try looking here where they say use latest commander version as there have been bugs in previous etc >> General Hard Drive and BIOS Password Information | Dell UK <<
The final solution: Tell Amazon to take their chit back and give me a refund. Still don't know if it was a Dell Commander issue or the drive itself since the lock was clearly in the drive. As a solace to Amazon (who will tell WD to take their chit back and issue a refund) I ordered a more expensive/larger WD drive from Amazon....and it works perfectly thus far.

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
The final solution: Tell Amazon to take their chit back and give me a refund. Still don't know if it was a Dell Commander issue or the drive itself since the lock was clearly in the drive. As a solace to Amazon (who will tell WD to take their chit back and issue a refund) I ordered a more expensive/larger WD drive from Amazon....and it works perfectly thus far.
Well you would hope so, and it not end up in one of their Amazon Warehouse deals that are NEVER checked before they are resold. :banghead:

Sybertiger

Known around here
Reaction score
Welp, if one of you gets my old drive....you know "the final solution". :p