Dell Micro Form Factor BI PC

noxcuses

n3wb
Reaction score
My 10+ year old Blue Iris PC is starting to become unreliable. I was given a Dell 3060 Micro Form Factor PC that I'd like to use as a replacement. The Dell PC has a 2.5" SATA HD slot open. Does a 2.5" SATA to e-sata adapter exist that will allow me to use my 3.5" 12TB WD Purple drive?

Has anyone used one of these MFF PC's for BI? What do you use for storage?

My searches yielded mixed reactions to using a USB 3.1 port for external storage. Was hoping a SATA adapter exist to use that method.

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
The Micros are a poor choice for BI.
The storage situation is one, and the other is they basically have Laptop Processors in them. They will overheat and throttle down the CPU, which will cause BI issues'.
You can buy good refurbished Dell or HP pcs from Ebay for less than $150. Such as these: Ebay Pcs
Using a USB drive for external storage will cause issue's.

As an eBay Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
Interesting concept. I have never tried it before but I don't know why something like this would not work: Although you will obviously need to modify the PC case to get the cable out.

A dell Micro PC will work just fine as long as it is sufficiently cooled. They tend to use low power versions of CPUs and have limited cooling capability, but that should not be an issue if you don't run the CPU too hard. Use sub streams in Blue Iris and stuff like that. Optimizing Blue Iris's CPU Usage

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

SouthernYankee

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
The Micros are a poor choice for BI.
The storage situation is one, and the other is they basically have Laptop Processors in them. They will overheat and throttle down the CPU, which will cause BI issues'.
You can buy good refurbished Dell or HP pcs from Ebay for less than $150. Such as these: Ebay Pcs
Using a USB drive for external storage will cause issue's.

As an eBay Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

DsineR

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Been running a Dell 3060 for a few years as a dedicated BI machine with no problems, using a Synology NAS for storage.
Recommend maxing out RAM, and as bp2008 mentioned optimize BI CPU usage.