DeepStack ExDark - Detect objects in dark/night images and videos

hikky_b

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
To verify, just include the macro &JSON in a text or email 'On alert' action.

Here’s an example of the output... note that results are shown for all active models:
True! I completely forgot and I'm pulling that JSON for automation :brainfart:

tech101

Known around here
Reaction score
I was investigating also another issue whats up with temp .rdb files with Deepstack mine is now taking almost 160 gb of diskspace. Anyone else seeing anything like this ?

1622508125256.png

chatty84

n3wb
Reaction score
Curious what the solution ended up being here.

When I have DeepStack running and interact with it directly (using a Python script), it seems like you need to call the custom model directly to get the correct results. For example, sending image data to the default API endpoint "http://deepstack_host:5000/v1/vision/detection" yields quite different results than sending the same image to "http://deepstack_host:5000/v1/vision/custom/dark".

Since the AI configuration page in BI only asks for an IP and Port, I can only assume it's using the default API endpoints for detection and not the custom dark endpoint. So even though your custom model is loaded, it doesn't seem like BI is sending data to it.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
The page also asks you where your custom models are located and that is how it calls and pulls the custom models. You need to place them in its own directory.

Many of us have the custom models working.

chatty84

n3wb
Reaction score
The page also asks you where your custom models are located and that is how it calls and pulls the custom models. You need to place them in its own directory.

Thanks. I obviously missed that!

OfficerD00fy

Young grasshopper
Reaction score

I am having trouble getting custom models working. I've set the model folder with licence plates and dark models but not sure if im meant to specify "licence" under inside the custom text field. Can anyone advise?

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
If you want all models used, including the stock one, leave the custom models field blank in the AI config for the camera.

To specify a model list the name of the model. Multiple models can be listed and separated by commas.

Models can be avoided by listing the model followed by a colon and a zero, IE objects:0 Multiples can be avoided by listing them separated by commas.

No spaces are used between any of the punctuation.

Be careful to get the names correct, including capitalization if the model has any capitals. The case of letters must match, exactly, for DS to recognize them.

Don't forget to specify objects you want to detect for each model in use unless you want to search for and detect all objects in the model.

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
If you want all models used, including the stock one, leave the custom models field blank in the AI config for the camera.

To specify a model list the name of the model. Multiple models can be listed and separated by commas.

Models can be avoided by listing the model followed by a colon and a zero, IE objects:0 Multiples can be avoided by listing them separated by commas.

No spaces are used between any of the punctuation.

Be careful to get the names correct, including capitalization if the model has any capitals. The case of letters must match, exactly, for DS to recognize them.

Don't forget to specify objects you want to detect for each model in use unless you want to search for and detect all objects in the model.
Great explanation. Also, I'm not 100% sure... but it may be that Blue Iris needs to be restarted before DS model configuration changes in the Trigger Tab > AI take effect.

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
I should have added that it's best to shut down DS through the BI console before adding a model or making any changes to the model directory at all. The re-start DS from the BI console and confirm it is running again.

Knew I forgot something and couldn't think of what it was.

Jgree32

n3wb
Reaction score
I should have added that it's best to shut down DS through the BI console before adding a model or making any changes to the model directory at all. The re-start DS from the BI console and confirm it is running again.

Knew I forgot something and couldn't think of what it was.
Wish there was more control over models and when they're used.
Right now I'm successfully running stock DS model and the extra dark one but I get the double labels for people and person.
Be nice to have a schedule of when models are used.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Wish there was more control over models and when they're used.
Right now I'm successfully running stock DS model and the extra dark one but I get the double labels for people and person.
Be nice to have a schedule of when models are used.
There is if you set up profiles based on day and night.

Then you put in dark:0 for the day profile and only the stock DS model is ran during the day profile.

Then you put in objects:0,dark for the night profile and it only runs the dark.

And you can set the profiles up to auto change based on sunrise/sunset.

Or set up the profiles for different settings that fit what you are trying to accomplish.

Jgree32

n3wb
Reaction score
There is if you set up profiles based on day and night.

Then you put in dark:0 for the day profile and only the stock DS model is ran during the day profile.

Then you put in objects:0,dark for the night profile and it only runs the dark.

And you can set the profiles up to auto change based on sunrise/sunset.

Or set up the profiles for different settings that fit what you are trying to accomplish.
I appreciate the reply.
Specifically where would I be specifying dark:0 etc? In which settings box?
Right now I've just got custom models enabled and pointed blue iris to the folder on my desktop that holds the dark model.

Jgree32

n3wb
Reaction score
In each camera setting, you put in what you want in the custom model box:

View attachment 118099
I think I got it. Thanks!
So I'd run different trigger profiles for day vs night etc.
And in the trigger settings for each respective profile enable or disable the call to whichever model I want.
Only other thing I guess is figuring out exact model name for stock model. I assume custom model is just the name of the file?

Last edited:

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
That would be correct.

This then allows you to tweak motion detection settings based on day and night as well. Most of my cams are the same and the night profile follows the day profile, but in some instances they are different to account for things shadows or what not and allow you to better dial in the settings.

Jgree32

n3wb
Reaction score
That would be correct.

This then allows you to tweak motion detection settings based on day and night as well. Most of my cams are the same and the night profile follows the day profile, but in some instances they are different to account for things shadows or what not and allow you to better dial in the settings.
Had some luck with trying this. My night profile was working correctly only using the dark model when I put "dark,objects:0" into the custom models box.
I was having issues during the day though where it was still using both models even though I had "dark:0,objects" in the custom models box.
It seems it acts differently depending on which one you list first. dark,objects:0 & objects:0,dark should be equivalent but it seems the software doesn't act that way?
My maintenance plan had expired so I upgraded to be able to update BI since I hadn't since December. Maybe that will help resolve the issue.