Dedicated BI PC arriving today!

gilkman

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Hey all, thanks to recommendations here I ordered a Dell Optiplex SFF i7-4790 8GB RAM 500GB HD, and it is arriving today. It comes with Windows 8 but can be updated to 10 for free (not sure which is more optimal)

I will move my Blue Iris install over to this PC. It will be a dedicated BI server; I won't be running any other apps such as Plex Server, etc.

I will have 8 3MP/4MP IP cams when done with installs.

I want to tune the Windows environment to reduce processor workload so that BI can access maximum processing power.

I have read the BI Troubleshooting section in the help section and there are some good tuning recommendation in there that I will implement (like turning off aero theme, etc).

Does anyone have other tips/tricks to maximize server performance?

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
If you go with win10, do a clean install..first you will have to do an in place upgrade so that the license registers (win 10 does not require a key, one you have a successful in place upgrade, your system details are stored at MS and you never need the key again. Make sure the upgrade is activated. Then install windows 10 clean, using MS windows 10 media creation tool to create a bootable usb (make sure to select the proper windows version)...run windows updates and ensure that there are no missing drivers in device manager.

gilkman

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
excellent advice fenderman...One follow-up Q if I may...thinking of NOT running an Anti-virus program and using the built-in windows firewall...any opinions?

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
excellent advice fenderman...One follow-up Q if I may...thinking of NOT running an Anti-virus program and using the built-in windows firewall...any opinions?
I always run either defender (windows built in antivirus) or norton..simply exclude the BI exe files/folders from scans....it has never been an issue.

Del Boy

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Oh great. Now I want one of these and to play around with BI. Luckily (or rather unluckily) they're not that cheap in the UK.

Keep us updated OP as I will probably use this as a quick start guide :)

gilkman

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Mine was $600 on eBay in the US btw...on the dell business outlet right now they are around $750.

The OptiPlex 9020 SFF (Small form factor) is a solid little unit that runs quiet and cool. Blue Iris running 4 cams "as a service" consumes 11% CPU when it's just idling. When I open the BI console it jumps to 40% (as expected).

One important note: For video out, the OptiPlex 9020 has two DisplayPorts, that's it...Good luck finding a DisplayPort cable at your brick and mortar shop if you don't have one handy. After it's all set up, you won't need monitor, mouse or keyboard if you remote into it using TeamViewer.

This was my procedure, which I was able to carry out while slightly inebriated:

1. Turned it on and inspected the PC specs in Device Manager to ensure I received the proper hardware.

2. Upgraded to Windows 10

3. Downloaded and Installed Blue Iris

4. Deactivated the BI registration on the old BI server, located my complete BI reg number

5. Exported my BI settings config to a thumb drive

6. Registered and imported BI setting on the OptiPlex; configured BI to run "as a service", made sure default file locations were OK

7. Downloaded and installed TeamViewer, did a remote test session.

8. Configured the Optiplex to auto-login when rebooting, auto download and install updates, set power mode to never sleep

9. Set up Windows Defender and told it to ignore BI files/folders

10. Gave the OptiPlex the same IP address as the old BI server

11. Shut it down and moved it to the hidden location; only power and ethernet connection required...TBD -> add a UPS in case of power interruption (my network is already UPS'd)

12. Remote in on Teamviewer, ensure all is working as planned

cltbwc

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Thanks for the checklist!! How is your machine running? Any hicups?