Decent IP camera to watch CNC machines

CJ133

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Hi all,

I'm setting up a few cameras so we can watch CNC machines run in case we see, or hear an issue etc while programming in the other room.

I was thinking of using the IPC-T5442T-ZE as I've had excellent luck with them for outdoor use.
But I realized these machines are generally very well lit and a higher frame rate is preferred over the typical 15.

Is the IPC-T5442T-ZE my best bet in that price range, or should I be going in a different direction due to good lighting?

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
You'd be better off with a CVI, composite video, camera. There is an inherent delay of a second or more with IP cameras and you need real time not delayed time video. You might get by with a small back-up camera for automotive use or a system made for automotive/RV use.

CJ133

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
You'd be better off with a CVI, composite video, camera. There is an inherent delay of a second or more with IP cameras and you need real time not delayed time video. You might get by with a small back-up camera for automotive use or a system made for automotive/RV use.
That's a good point, I didn't think of the delay.
Though, I'm not entirely sure the delay is a huge issue for us. It's more of a way to keep an eye on what's going on, chips piling up etc.

My main concern is I know absolutely nothing about analog cameras etc. The IP ones and Blue iris I'm at least familiar with.

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
The beauty of a CVI camera is that you only need a monitor for it or a CVI card in a PC and then use BI for it.

The delay can be misleading which is why I'm mentioning it. What you see isn't what's happening "right now". If you're just looking for chip accumulation and don't actually need real time video IP will be fine. It's just something to think about.

The 5442 is pretty good without a doubt. I'd suggest the varifocal version for added flexibility since you can set the focal length as needed. You also wouldn't be as limited in location of the camera since you can zoom in to what you nee at the time of installation.

There is a new 8MP that seems even better than the 5442both with and without light. Right now it's in very short supply and only comes in a 3.6mm fixed lens, but the added detail may be important to you.