Dealing with fog and motion events at night

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
Which setting can I adjust to help minimize the number of motion events I receive overnight if we have fog? I currently use external IR illuminators and not the onboard camera IR for night mode. Was hoping that someone else on the forum has experienced this and found ways to help. Thanks!

beepsilver

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Difficult, but at least you're using light separate from the camera. About the only thing I can suggest is to lessen the sensitivity to contrast, use motion zones and use filters like 'object must travel.'

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
Difficult, but at least you're using light separate from the camera. About the only thing I can suggest is to lessen the sensitivity to contrast, use motion zones and use filters like 'object must travel.'
Thanks @beepsilver. I'm using the Edge Vector motion algorithm which may be contributing, not sure. I'll reduce the Contrast sensativity slightly and see how that works.

beepsilver

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I've found that the simple algorithm is better for multiple zones and Edge Vector can be better for a single motion zone (I think there's work to be done with edge vector yet). YMMV. Good luck!

TVille

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I have a couple of cameras at a cabin that often gets fogged in (clouds, it is high elevation) at night, and the IR bounces off the cloud/rain/mist causing problems. Looking at it real time, it is basically clouds rolling by, and looks like motion. Unfortunately, I'm not sure there is any real solution. When I get too many alerts, I just pause the alerts for the evening. Not a good solution, but I don't have anything better. If you figure something out, let me know!

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
I have a couple of cameras at a cabin that often gets fogged in (clouds, it is high elevation) at night, and the IR bounces off the cloud/rain/mist causing problems. Looking at it real time, it is basically clouds rolling by, and looks like motion. Unfortunately, I'm not sure there is any real solution. When I get too many alerts, I just pause the alerts for the evening. Not a good solution, but I don't have anything better. If you figure something out, let me know!
Will do, thanks!

srglassw

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Which setting can I adjust to help minimize the number of motion events I receive overnight if we have fog? I currently use external IR illuminators and not the onboard camera IR for night mode. Was hoping that someone else on the forum has experienced this and found ways to help. Thanks!
Like other commenters I haven't found any Blue Iris settings that really solve this problem but I have had some success by choosing the camera mounting location. I have one camera on the front of the house pointing straight out and it is always triggering when there is fog, mist or light rain blowing in front of it.

I have another identical camera that is mounted under the eaves and pointing somewhat parallel to the eaves overhang in the same general area as the first camera. The camera pointing somewhat parallel under the overhang is pretty much unaffected by fog, mist and rain. It has 10 or so feet in front of it that is under the eaves before the field of vision reaches beyond the overhang.

I think if it is possible to find some way to protect the first 10 feet or so in front of the camera it greatly reduces the reflection off of the fog, mist and rain. I realize that such positioning is not usually available or practical but it does seem to make a difference.

TVille

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Like other commenters I haven't found any Blue Iris settings that really solve this problem but I have had some success by choosing the camera mounting location. I have one camera on the front of the house pointing straight out and it is always triggering when there is fog, mist or light rain blowing in front of it.

I have another identical camera that is mounted under the eaves and pointing somewhat parallel to the eaves overhang in the same general area as the first camera. The camera pointing somewhat parallel under the overhang is pretty much unaffected by fog, mist and rain. It has 10 or so feet in front of it that is under the eaves before the field of vision reaches beyond the overhang.

I think if it is possible to find some way to protect the first 10 feet or so in front of the camera it greatly reduces the reflection off of the fog, mist and rain. I realize that such positioning is not usually available or practical but it does seem to make a difference.
Excellent point! I had not thought of this, but I think you are right - the camera is focusing in on the close stuff and it is kind of like driving in fog with your high beams on - the reflection basically blinds you. So if you can reduce the close in stuff it should help.

jack7

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
You could try Defog Mode if your camera has it. It would be on the Dahua Conditions screen. It applies image algorithms to the image in foggy conditions. It can improve the image. I haven't tested it for reducing false events.

Walrus

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I've found that the simple algorithm is better for multiple zones and Edge Vector can be better for a single motion zone (I think there's work to be done with edge vector yet). YMMV. Good luck!
I found the same. When I switched to edge vector, I had to stop using zones.

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
I found the same. When I switched to edge vector, I had to stop using zones.
So you're using Edge Vector with no zones and only pixel movement only? How's it working? What Contrast setting are you using?

Walrus

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Previously my driveway was zone A, and the sidewalk, boulevard and street were zone B. I had object crosses A-B, to trigger anything moving off of, or onto my driveway. I had a low movement setting (250 pixels), and low contrast setting (high sensivity - 20). As soon as I changed to edge vector, it would only catch something moving onto/off of my driveway 25% of the time.

Now I only have one zone (zone A), covering my driveway. The sidewalk, boulevard and street are outside the zone. Object crosses zone A, with 750 movement. The contrast is still set pretty low (high sensitivity) so fog/rain sets it off, I need to play with it still. But it seems to work well, any noticeable movement on my driveway triggers, but shadows/clouds/leaves don't.

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
Previously my driveway was zone A, and the sidewalk, boulevard and street were zone B. I had object crosses A-B, to trigger anything moving off of, or onto my driveway. I had a low movement setting (250 pixels), and low contrast setting (high sensivity - 20). As soon as I changed to edge vector, it would only catch something moving onto/off of my driveway 25% of the time.

Now I only have one zone (zone A), covering my driveway. The sidewalk, boulevard and street are outside the zone. Object crosses zone A, with 750 movement. The contrast is still set pretty low (high sensitivity) so fog/rain sets it off, I need to play with it still. But it seems to work well, any noticeable movement on my driveway triggers, but shadows/clouds/leaves don't.
Thanks, are you using Zone G at all? I've seen some people completely fill in Zone G and the only trigger on Zone A.

beepsilver

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Thanks, are you using Zone G at all? I've seen some people completely fill in Zone G and the only trigger on Zone A.
I use zone G on all my cams (filling the entire FOV) not only to connect multiple zones, but also on my cams with the A motion zone drawn that doesn't fill the entire FOV--this is so that when I play back recordings using the test run video through motion detector I'm able to see the entire FOV rather than just Zone A I have drawn. My cams don't trigger on G because I have only the A zone listed in the Object crosses zones box.

Last edited:

Walrus

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I was when I had Zone A & B. Can't remember if I do now. I still should.

Pentagano

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I realize this is an old thread but just started having issues with fog also. Thought I had everything set up really well with zones and simple vector. Night and Day were working great.
Then the fog hit. Woke up to see thousands of alerts. Deepstack was working overtime all night.
Like slow moving objects and triggering all the time. Even under a roof where the car was, floating fog/mist like large objects.
I have zone crossing but the object travels in pixels unticked.

Even if I set objects travels x distance some of the fog particles look like objects travelling across the whole area. Nightmare.
Wish they had a fog setting.

Ezviz cameras - Full HD set at around 20fps/15fps.

Did anyone find a better solution?

The only option I see at the moment is to switch on the led lights in the garden and turn off the cam IR.
Will add a few bucks to my utility bill though having the lights on all night.

20w in total (say 5 x 5w leds.)
4.88 pesos kwh
20/1000 = 0.02
0.02 * 4.88 pesos = 0.0976
10 hours * 31 days = 30.02 pesos monthly
= 0.71 USD

Works out as almost nothing for the lighting!

My cpu power usage will save more than that if its not running every second at full throttle

Last edited:

Pentagano

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Going to try some smart automations also.
Couple of smartlife scenes to switch on outdoor lights bright enough to switch off the IR on the camera when it's raining for example.
Also nodered in hoemassisant with a weather node, looking for foggy conditions.

Pentagano

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
This might work for the lights. Openweather API with nodered.
Need a couple more 10w led lamps though to be able to view without IR.

1630353989808.png