Day/Night switching went wonky today

Heavyopp

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
T54ir-ze-s3 really had a hard tome today with the dark and gloomy weather/rain.
Been running it on the day/night switch setting. Camera wouldn’t stay on the day setting with a 1/1000 exposure.

Constantly changed from day color with a little of a dark image, to black and white to night and infrared then back to day and color all over again. Never found a happy place until I went into the gui and switched to 1/500 exposure.

I’m not really sure what to do about it other than go to a timed setting and get away from the daynight switch. I do notice at dawn and dusk on a nice day that it switched from color to B/W a few times normally.

With a timed program I would probably use a manual day setting, a manual night setting, and a general setting for twilight. The general setting would run for 90 minutes or so at dusk and dawn. Maybe I’ll try out AI ssa for this setting, see what thats all about.

Any suggestions?

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Yeah there is no perfect solution unless you go all out with home automation and have good light sensors that can accurately detect and send API codes to the cameras.

Otherwise we will get a few wonky days like you got today.

But even on a timed program, you will still get wonky results.

If you use BI, do not use AI SSA unless you like errors LOL. AI SSA will play with FPS and iframes and BI just loves that.

Heavyopp

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I do use BI - thanks for the warning.

Maybe I’ll just use auto exposure for the in between times.

I have been using auto on a 4k-t on my test rig for the past few days during dusk/dawn works OK. That camera doesn’t have day night switching or ai ssa.

Alaska Country

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
If that model of camera has 'time plan settings' then it can be set to change from day to night by using a monthly schedule.

The schedule works well if you do not have huge sunset/sunrise time difference within a month. That is one of the downsides of using this process. Or one could just update the schedule every two weeks or so to keep it more or less in sync with the actual sunrise/sunset times.

As mentioned above, using a home automation system does work very well. Use a Hubitat C7 hub that controls the day/night switch on all of the cameras by using an outside LUX sensor. Thus, in my case, day/night switching is totally dependent on available outside light. The HTTP calls, modify the 'time plan settings' on a daily basis thus keeping up with the 5 minute and 40 seconds per day of sunrise/set change times.

Time Plan Settings.PNG

Last edited: