Darnedest Static Ip Issue

Zabije Cie

n3wb
Reaction score
Hello,

I hope everyone is having a wonderful break this week. I am also at my wits end, and cannot for the life of me figure out why two replacement cameras are just not working.

Background:
PC with private LAN connected to POE cameras running Blue Iris. PC connected to Router for remote access.

I have 5 cameras total, after a storm, 2 went out. (Even though I have ethernet surge protectors, didn't do much to help... I digress)

Cameras on subnet: 192.168.2.xx, Private LAN PC 192.168.2.10
All cameras are Amcrest cameras. The two that went out, are tit-for-tat replacements, POE 5mp, ONVIF, etc.

I plug in the camera to router, assign static ip as below (attached photo). Plug into private LAN, and that is where the issue occurs.

I am unable to see, ping, or connect to any of the new cameras despite having the same subnet and same gateway address as the other 3 cameras. The other 3 cameras I am able to connect remotely on Private LAN PC without issue.

I've tried to reset, I've tried different ip addresses. I've restarted the PC, blue iris, and made sure all latest firmware.

Once the two new cameras are switched to STATIC IP address and I save the settings, they are unaccessible. They continue to show up on my router with the new address, but when the cable is switched over to the other LAN, no ability to connect/ping.

Hoping someone with more networking know how can chime in.

Thank you!

Attachments

Teken

Known around here
Reaction score
Hello,

I hope everyone is having a wonderful break this week. I am also at my wits end, and cannot for the life of me figure out why two replacement cameras are just not working.

Background:
PC with private LAN connected to POE cameras running Blue Iris. PC connected to Router for remote access.

I have 5 cameras total, after a storm, 2 went out. (Even though I have ethernet surge protectors, didn't do much to help... I digress)

Cameras on subnet: 192.168.2.xx, Private LAN PC 192.168.2.10
All cameras are Amcrest cameras. The two that went out, are tit-for-tat replacements, POE 5mp, ONVIF, etc.

I plug in the camera to router, assign static ip as below (attached photo). Plug into private LAN, and that is where the issue occurs.

I am unable to see, ping, or connect to any of the new cameras despite having the same subnet and same gateway address as the other 3 cameras. The other 3 cameras I am able to connect remotely on Private LAN PC without issue.

I've tried to reset, I've tried different ip addresses. I've restarted the PC, blue iris, and made sure all latest firmware.

Once the two new cameras are switched to STATIC IP address and I save the settings, they are unaccessible. They continue to show up on my router with the new address, but when the cable is switched over to the other LAN, no ability to connect/ping.

Hoping someone with more networking know how can chime in.

Thank you!
What happens when they are set to DHCP? Also the entire network should be rebooted in case the MAC address is being held from the previous install.

Normally the MAC address is held when the DHCP Reservation is in place and not from a Static IP assignment. But I’ve seen where either a firewall appliance / router held that in memory and the end result was the same thing.

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I always use IP's for my static assignments that are outside of the router's DHCP pool and never had an issue. In other words, if your router's LAN is 192.168.1.1 and its DHCP pool is 192.168.1.49 to 192.168.1.99, I use 192.168.1.200 to 192.168.1.254 for my cams, printers, etc.

I learned this method some time ago when the ISP-furnished modem/router combo that many clients had did not have an option to reserve IP's.

That "gateway" IP of 192.168.2.10 seems odd....is that your router's LAN IP?

mikeynags

Known around here
Reaction score
I always use IP's for my static assignments that are outside of the router's DHCP pool and never had an issue. In other words, if your router's LAN is 192.168.1.1 and its DHCP pool is 192.168.1.49 to 192.168.1.99, I use 192.168.1.200 to 192.168.1.254 for my cams, printers, etc.

I learned this method some time ago when the ISP-furnished modem/router combo that many clients had did not have an option to reserve IP's.

That "gateway" IP of 192.168.2.10 seems odd....is that your router's LAN IP?
Sounds like the 2.10 address is the second NIC on the Blue Iris PC

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TechieTech

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
If the cameras are on the private camera LAN that is only connected to the Blue Iris PC, the router should not see them at all.

Are you able to connect to the cameras on the camera LAN after you unplug the network cable from the PC to the router? If you can, you will likely need to set a lower routing metric in the advanced TCP/IP settings for the camera LAN NIC in Windows.

Setting the gateway on the cameras to the Blue Iris PC does nothing.

Is the subnet on your Blue Iris PC for the camera LAN NIC set to 255.255.255.0 as well with a 192.168.2.x IP as well?

Lastly, Google IgnoreNonRoutableEthernet to see how to set thay registry key properly if the Blue Iris PC if you are having connectivity issues with two NICs connected.

mikeynags

Known around here
Reaction score
If the cameras are on the private camera LAN that is only connected to the Blue Iris PC, the router should not see them at all.

Are you able to connect to the cameras on the camera LAN after you unplug the network cable from the PC to the router? If you can, you will likely need to set a lower routing metric in the advanced TCP/IP settings for the camera LAN NIC in Windows.

Setting the gateway on the cameras to the Blue Iris PC does nothing.

Is the subnet on your Blue Iris PC for the camera LAN NIC set to 255.255.255.0 as well with a 192.168.2.x IP as well?

Lastly, Google IgnoreNonRoutableEthernet to see how to set thay registry key properly if the Blue Iris PC if you are having connectivity issues with two NICs connected.
The Blue Iris PC should be able to see them and if I’m reading correctly, it’s only these 2 cams which are inaccessible, the other 3 cams are fine. There something about the config on these 2 new cams which have to be different than the 3 which are working.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Zabije Cie

n3wb
Reaction score
Mikeynags you are correct. Below is the schematic. (followed TL1096r tutorial) [Dual NIC setup on your Blue Iris Machine]

The second NIC on the computer is set to: 192.168.2.10.
On that NIC, there are 5 cameras which are 192.168.2.20 (cam1) -> 192.168.2.24 (cam5)
Cam 2 & 3 went out during lightning storm (192.168.2.21, 192.168.2.22)
I plugged both of the replacement cameras to my router, to get a DHCP assigned, so I can login and do the initial setup (192.168.10.xx), I changed their settings to the initial first post photo. (IP: 192.168.2.21, 192.168.2.22) Gateway: 192.168.2.10, subnet 255.255.255.0, DNS 1.0.0.1. Those are the exact same TCP/IP setting the old cameras had before they went out, those are the same settings (other than the IP address being different) as the other 3 remaining working cameras have.

I then unplug it from the router, as DHCP no longer applies, and I plug it into the second NIC network hub. I have checked the POE cables and they have power and transmit data.

Then I login to the Private NIC PC and try to login to the new cameras (192.168.2.21/22) and no dice. I try to ping them, nothing. However the other three cameras all still work, all are able to be pinged, and they are able to be accessed from the NIC PC from the web address (192.168.2.20/23/24).

So it sounds like for some reason, once the static IP is set, its like the camera just isn't actually setting it? This is where im baffled.

Attachments

Last edited:

Mike A.

Known around here
Reaction score
Uncheck the "Enable ARP/Ping to set IP address" box just to be sure something else isn't changing it. Shouldn't be from what you describe but doesn't make sense now so...

Run the Dahua tool on that side of the network and see if it can find them on an address somewhere.

Do you have MAC reservations for addresses set up somewhere?

Zabije Cie

n3wb
Reaction score
Mike A.

Yeah, I've tried unchecking that box after a few resets and it didn't do anything. I've also made sure the ports are 80, 554 and same results. I'll try the Dahua tool. I also tried to get Blue Iris to "search" for Ip cameras by leaving the address empty, and it couldn't find anything on the network.

You actually may be onto something... If I remember correctly, about 2 years ago I did use the Amcrest tool to do the settings rather than using the cameras IP webpage.... I'll give it another try this Saturday/Sunday.

Thanks!

Teken

Known around here
Reaction score
Has the entire network from camera, switch, router, ISP Modem, been hard booted not soft booted?!?