Damn... My storage drive died. : ( Which of the WD Purple drives do I want now?

Mike A.

Known around here
Reaction score
Seems to be a bunch of different versions of these now. Which do I want?

Any good deals out there?

Flintstone61

Known around here
Reaction score
I think if you go over 8TB they all spin at 7200 right? anybody? anybody? Bueller?
at 8TB you can get 5640 Rpm drives and 7200 Drives.
below 8TB i think they're all 5640 or 5400....
My 7200 is in my bedroom, it has some churning at times.
the 5640 of course is quietly going on, at the Condo in a noisy ass room with a whirring Cisco enterpise POE switch.
I lernt me something there :)....about noise.
the drives oughta be in opposite locations.

Last edited:

Mike A.

Known around here
Reaction score
Found a 14TB open box on Amazon Warehouse for $160. Had to take a chance on it at that price. See how it looks and the hours and all when it comes tomorrow. If not good, easy return.

Mike A.

Known around here
Reaction score
Looks good so far. I also was wondering about drive noise but seems quiet here too. It chunked some while doing the SMART test but just running BI with a bunch of cams writing to it, I don't hear it at all.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Looks good so far. I also was wondering about drive noise but seems quiet here too. It chunked some while doing the SMART test but just running BI with a bunch of cams writing to it, I don't hear it at all.
If noise is important to you I would search for the drives that are reviewed to have low noise. It doesnt have to be a purple.

Mike A.

Known around here
Reaction score
Not that important in my case but someone had mentioned above so I was confirming that mine's also very quiet. Less noisy than the 5400 WD white drive that I was using.

Mike A.

Known around here
Reaction score
I retract what I said about this drive being quiet. It is most of the time but now and then it starts chunking like crazy and is kind of noisy.

Not sure what's causing it when it does. BI records silently most all the time. I turned off Defender from looking at the drive. Disabled indexing. Not sure what else to check.

ETA: Turned off defrag now too. Looked to be running when I checked performance manager even though the drive is basically new. See if that does anything.

Mike A.

Known around here
Reaction score
So far, so good. I think that may have been it. Not sure why it would be defragging a drive that's only been running for a few days with mostly big linear video files, just 10% of the space used, and minimal if any deleted files. :idk:

Flintstone61

Known around here
Reaction score
In Windows 11, it looks like this. You can go to "Advanced View", and turn off the automated scheduler completely. 10 may look different. With every version, they clip away more control over shit it seems like.
This may have been why my x drive was sometimes noisier than others.
1683790217747.png

Last edited: