Dahua WLAN Outdoor Cam

kuzco

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Hello,
I know that I should not use any wifi camera - however I need one to monitor the frontdoor of my parents home. I have only 12V and the distance between cam and door is only 1-1,5 m. So far so good.
In my flat I have several T5442 (1 x bought by Andy and on ebay (they were also from Andy)) - that the reason why I want to replace the old Reolink with Dahua.
At the front door, opposite the camera, there is a light on the floor that comes on with the street lights.
Have seen several cams:
SD22204T-GN-W (for 85.- Euro)
HDBW1435E-E (for 99.- Euro)
HDBW1430DE-SW (94.- Euro)

Any recommendation ?

KR
roland

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Hello,
I know that I should not use any wifi camera - however I need one to monitor the frontdoor of my parents home. I have only 12V and the distance between cam and door is only 1-1,5 m. So far so good.
In my flat I have several T5442 (1 x bought by Andy and on ebay (they were also from Andy)) - that the reason why I want to replace the old Reolink with Dahua.
At the front door, opposite the camera, there is a light on the floor that comes on with the street lights.
Have seen several cams:
SD22204T-GN-W (for 85.- Euro)
HDBW1435E-E (for 99.- Euro)
HDBW1430DE-SW (94.- Euro)

Any recommendation ?

KR
roland
Those cameras are small sensors and will be just as bad as the reolink,,,,they wont compare to the 5442

kuzco

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Those cameras are small sensors and will be just as bad as the reolink,,,,they wont compare to the 5442
Okay. Good to know. Do you have any recommendation from Dahua ? I think in my case a 2MP should be enough.

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
+1^^^.
Like below:
I've had great success using a more powerful and sensitive wireless radio at the camera end, plugged into the cam's Ethernet port.

The idea is to use the camera's wired (Ethernet/RJ-45) port plugged into a TP-LINK TL-WR802N Nano Router configured in "client" mode. You have power near the camera so this device would be placed near the camera or inside, powered up with it's included 5VDC adapter and an Ethernet cable run to the camera.

With your PC you log into the TP-LINK and set it up to use "client" mode, have it survey to locate the SSID (broadcast name) of your home's Wi-Fi, put in your home's Wi-Fi password and save it.

Once it reboots you move it over to the camera's RJ-45 port and it will access your home's Wi-Fi via the camera's Ethernet port. I have used this TP-LINK device to allow a dozen or more devices (laser printers, cameras, older xBoxes) that do not have wireless to connect to Wi-Fi with their Ethernet port.

Here's the instructions ==>> How to Configure the Client Mode on TL-WR802N/TL-WR810N

TP-LINK_TL-WR802N_2.jpg

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

kuzco

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Many thanks to all for the great input. I have to check what I can do.
The idea with the WR802 sounds nice, however I am not sure if the WLAN is good enough without any antenna. Additionally I need a converter from 12v to 5V for the USB connector (I have only 12V).
The Wifi bridge (Vonets VM300-H 2,4GHz Mini Modul Wireless) could be an option. Or VAP11G

Last edited:

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
The idea with the WR802 sounds nice, however I am not sure if the WLAN is good enough without any antenna.
You said 1 to 1.5m through a door? It'll do that for sure. I've had old gaming machine running wireless in the basement of a 2 story home, Wi-Fi upstairs.

Additionally I need a converter from 12v to 5V for the USB connector (I have only 12V).
It comes with a plug-in AC to 5VDC power supply.
Or if only 12VDC is available use this ==>> 12v to 5v Converter Buck Module USB Output Power Adapter

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

kuzco

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
You said 1 to 1.5m through a door? It'll do that for sure. I've had old gaming machine running wireless in the basement of a 2 story home, Wi-Fi upstairs.
The 1-1,5m is the distance between camera and frontdoor.
The „real“ accesspoint is behind 2 walls and the Wi-Fi signal at the camera is not very good at the moment.
However the idea is nice to check.

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
If the WiFi at the camera isn't "so good" right now what makes you think a camera with built in WiFI, usually the low end of everything, would work in the first place? A device like that TPLink that Matt mentioned is optimized for performance far beyond anything a consumer grade WiFi camera is capable of.

kuzco

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I have not written that the internal WiFi of the cam is better than the signal of the TP-Link. I am happy to get so much input - and I will give the TP-Link a try.

kuzco

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Hello,
I want to confirm that the idea with the WR802 was pretty good and I am happy with the connection.

KR

Last edited:

kuzco

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Hello,
I want to come back to this thread. Friend of mine has bought a Dahua IPC-HDW1430DT-STW from an official store in germany. However, we have seen that this camera does not allow to store data on a FTP-Server. The only allowed target is SD-card.
Due to several reasons we have only 12V at the place and very limited space. Yes, I can use again a WR802, but in this case i need a 12V->5V adapter too. Possible, but not the preferred solution.

Does someone knows a WiFi camera from Dahua which allows to store the data (motion detection) to a FTP server ?

Have checked dahuasecurity.com, but the only WiFi I have found was HDW1230/HDW1430.
Night view ist not so important - there are also street-lights.
Otherwise, we have to go the way with the WR802 and finding a junction-box which is big enough to store the WR802 and also the power adapter.

KR

Last edited:

Perimeter

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
i just purchased this dahua wifi camera and im awaiting delivery.

i will connect this to my DH-XVR1B08-I and provide my review results soon.
there are no other wifi users within 200 feet of my home and im using a comfast CF-N1 router which has above normal RF power.
i plan on attaching a small 12V SLA battery to the camera with a charge port to make the use of this camera portable.
I have been wondering how long this equipment would work on a car battery. But as it is awake constantly (no PYR), I suspect that it would be like 10 days?