Dahua VTO2201F doorbell camera - how to set DHCP?

camviewer43

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
On the web server for the Dahua VTO2201F doorbell camera, I see how to set a static IP address. I was expecting a checkmark to enable DHCP instead, as I like to manage IP through the router rather than set static on devices.

The manual doesn't mention how to get it to use DHCP at all. Any ideas? Do you just leave the IP field blank for DHCP? Kind of weird.

1649971782613.png

I'm also noticing that they don't allow manual firmware updates from the UI. The only thing you can do is "check" for updates. Isn't it standard for these IP cameras to allow for manual firmware update via a file upload rather than letting the camera go out and do its own thing on the internet?

1649973058902.png

Last edited:

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
The manual doesn't mention how to get it to use DHCP at all. Any ideas? Do you just leave the IP field blank for DHCP? Kind of weird.
Since the default is 192.168.1.108, it's already static and likely no DHCP option because they want you to know the default that's listed, set PC to same subnet, log in, set the static IP in the desired network segment and enter a new password and "save".

I'm with @flynreelow , set to a static IP. Use a unique IP that is outside of your router's DHCP pool. I moved my router's DHCP pool to be 192.168.1.99 to 192.168.1.199, leaving .200 to .253 (.254 is the gateway) for my use in static devices, cams, BI server, printers, etc.

camviewer43

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Being able to DHCP for network equipment seems so basic. Kinda like parking breaks on a car. I get people have different preferences for how to run their network. To me, it's more elegant to set DHCP reservations in the router itself. That way you have a central place to manage all networked devices rather than a spreadsheet that you're keeping somewhere else of your static IP assignments. I don't know why Dahua is being weird about DHCP. If someone needs static for troubleshooting, sure allow that, but DHCP should be there.

Since the default is 192.168.1.108, it's already static and likely no DHCP option because they want you to know the default that's listed, set PC to same subnet, log in, set the static IP in the desired network segment and enter a new password and "save".

I'm with @flynreelow , set to a static IP. Use a unique IP that is outside of your router's DHCP pool. I moved my router's DHCP pool to be 192.168.1.99 to 192.168.1.199, leaving .200 to .253 (.254 is the gateway) for my use in static devices, cams, BI server, printers, etc.
you should set a static ip for all of ur cams.

flynreelow

Known around here
Reaction score
Being able to DHCP for network equipment seems so basic. Kinda like parking breaks on a car. I get people have different preferences for how to run their network. To me, it's more elegant to set DHCP reservations in the router itself. That way you have a central place to manage all networked devices rather than a spreadsheet that you're keeping somewhere else of your static IP assignments. I don't know why Dahua is being weird about DHCP. If someone needs static for troubleshooting, sure allow that, but DHCP should be there.
not sure about a spreadsheet, just log into the router and see all of your set static IPs for all of your devices on your network.

camviewer43

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
not sure about a spreadsheet, just log into the router and see all of your set static IPs for all of your devices on your network.
If you don't have a master list of all your static IP assignments, how do you keep track of things so you don't get collisions? You might have a device that's not currently powered on and connected (for example, a camera you plan on using but currently isn't, or something you were playing with and kinda forgot about it for the moment). When you connect it to the network and it powers on, you could have collisions.

DHCP reservations don't have that problem. You can screw it up, because the router enforces unique IP addresses all in once place.

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
If you don't have a master list of all your static IP assignments, how do you keep track of things so you don't get collisions?
All my camera names have the last 3 digits of the IP in their subnet; such as "Front Porch 203" or "Side Gate 216".
DHCP reservations don't have that problem.
Many ISP-furnished modem/router combos don't have the ability for DHCP reservations so I use static IP's that are outside of the router's DHCP pool, such as 192.168.1.200 to .254. Been doing it that way for maybe 15 years now, have set up probably 2 dozen or so for other homes and businesses and never had an issue...works for me. :cool:

Last edited:

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Static all the way here for cameras and other items.
My Asus router allows me to see any static or DHCP assignments, and even those that are "offline". The offline list can be cleared out as needed if it's truly something that is permanently off the network.

If you must, keep a list written down of the IP's you have assigned, keep them organized in ranges so you know what's open and not.
Such as cameras only in the 192.168.1.20 through 192.168.1.40 range. Or how ever you want to manage it.
Add a new item to the network, right down the IP.