Dahua VTH5222CH-S1 (2-wire-Inside monitor) and VTO4202F-P (Modular door station) connection issues

Jay74

n3wb
Reaction score
Hello fellow Dahua techies,
after a total of 28 hours of internet research and testing I finally found a forum with topics "almost" pertaining to my issue. I'm desperately looking for a solution to a problem I have that one of you might have an answer for.

My video doorbell system consists of the following for a single family home:

VTH5222CH-S1 (2-wire-Inside monitor)
VTNS1006A (2-wire control)
VTO4202F-P (Modular door station)
VTO4202F-MB2 (2-button module) ....in case I want a second monitor in my office in the basement in the future.
VTO4202F-ML (indicator module)
VTO4202F-MF (Fingerprint Module) ....Is working. I use it to get into the house.

My VTH5222CH-S1 (2-wire-Inside monitor) and my VTO4202F-P (Modular Door Station) are connected to the VTNS1006A (2-wire controller) per 2 wire.
I have set up the VTO & VTH and mobile app and am able to view the VTO from my VTH and mobile but am unable to get the doorbell to work.
For whatever reason, the VTO is not being recognised 100% (See photo).
Additionally, the VTO no. management is showing the VTO with the wrong IP. Could this have something to do with it?

I was soooo excited to install this system but unfortunately it has turned into a 4 month nightmare. I really hope someone can point out what I am doing wrong.
Thank you very much for your support

Regards Jay

Attachments

teemu81

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Starting with the basics:
-If you click on Status on the menu of your photo #3 does it show the VTH ip and the device as connected?
-If the VTH is not there make sure that on the SIP configuration of the VTO you have:

1.-Set the IP of the SIP server as the same IP of the VTO and click the ENABLE button
2.- Check the name, username and password to make sure they are the same you are using on your VTH SIP menu (Photo 6).

Also, in photo #2 on the drawing, click on any of the call buttons on the drawing and select the room that button should call (9901 in your installation), until you have assigned a room to each button the device won't know where to call when you push them.

Jay74

n3wb
Reaction score
Hello Teemu81,

thank you sooooo much for your help. This video doorbell system is driving me crazy.
i checked the status from photo #3 and there is nothing shown as connected (which I don’t understand because I get video input from the VTO).
Unfortunately I changed the IPC /IP setting yesterday and no longer have access to the VTO. I have do take it out and do a reset.
I will go through the steps you mentioned and let you know how things go.

thanks again for reaching out!,!!
jay

teemu81

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
In my experience resseting the ip of an VTO to default can be a pain in the ass, I'd recomend getting Toolbox from dahua website:

And install the VDPConfig. This tool will let you change the IP address of any VTO and VTH on your network.
Another option is setting your computer IP on the same range the VTO was, so you'll gain access to it again to change the IP for one in range with your router.

Jay74

n3wb
Reaction score
Thats how I usually do it (I have a mac so it is a bit more tricky) but for some reason changing the IPC\IP address won't allow any connection. First I need to find my VTO in my network again...:rolleyes:

teemu81

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
How about the VTH, can you find the VTO like you did before through the search device (photo 8)? You can also try to change the ip from that screen if the device appears

Jay74

n3wb
Reaction score
OK....so I did a factory reset on everything and was able to do what you mentioned above.
The status now is:
1. I now see my VTO under the "VTO No. Management" (See photo #7) First time!!!!
2. I now see Room Number under "Status" (see photo #4) but it says it is off line.
3. I assigned both buttons the number of my VTH but the VTO still says "the call is not answered"

I am assuming that the problem with the offline status has something to do with the problem......but what? :idk:

Last edited:

Jay74

n3wb
Reaction score
OK. Changed it. But for some reason the icon in the corner says it is still not connected.
1601139736742.png

teemu81

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Right now your problem is the sip server connection.
Just to make sure, I'd suggest return the parameters on the SIP server configuration on the VTO webserver to default and only change the IP to match the VTO ip adress.

By default the parameters would be
Register pasword: 123456
Domain: VDP
User: admin
Password: admin

Also, reboot the system after performing the changes, with these VTO a simple reboot can work wonders, also set the sip enabled status to off, save, and then back on on the vth to force a reconnection.

teemu81

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Indeed, you need to put on the vth the right sip settings with the vto ip, and the domain, username and password established on the sip server configuration of the vto

livebild

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I have almost the same setup and ran into the same issues.
What really helped me was to use the script Dahua-DHIP-JSON-Debug-Console.py and to learn to use wireshark. That way you have all the tools you need to know exactly what is happening and debug yourself.
If you are in Germany, you can also find help on ip-phone-forum.de.
The Dahua interface is sometimes misleading and on the VTH it is a nightmare to enter code...

Jay74

n3wb
Reaction score
I have almost the same setup and ran into the same issues.
What really helped me was to use the script Dahua-DHIP-JSON-Debug-Console.py and to learn to use wireshark. That way you have all the tools you need to know exactly what is happening and debug yourself.
If you are in Germany, you can also find help on ip-phone-forum.de.
The Dahua interface is sometimes misleading and on the VTH it is a nightmare to enter code...
Thanks Livebild.! I downloaded wireshark and began to read the tutorial.....:oops:. I am an engineer but computers and code are somewhat "chinese" to me. At the moment everything is working but the doorbell function. Teemu81 really helped me out but for whatever reason my VTH is not picking up the doorbell call from outside. Did you run the script "Dahua-DHIP-JSON-Debug-Console.py" from Wireshark or from another program?
Thank you for your valuable input.
Jay

teemu81

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Step by step:

On the VTO:
Network--> SIP Server
Status ENABLED
Ip address: the same ip you use to access the vto webservice
Port: can't edit it
Username: can't edit it
Password: 123456
Sip server username: admin
Sip server password: admin

On the VTH SIP configuration:
Ip: the IP of your VTO
Port: the same port configured on the vto sip service, 5060 by default
Username: can't edit it, will say 9901#0
Register password: 123456
Username: admin
Password: admin
Status: set it to OFF and save, the set it back to ON and save, the icon on the top right corner of the screen showing the VTO with an X must dissapear when this is done correctly. If the icon remains take off the power from the VTNS1006 and power it back on.

livebild

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I really need to write a complete tutorial about this topic.
But here is how I did each step with debugging tools (to make sure that each step is correct).

Pre-requisites:
  • Dahua firmware update tool VDPConfig
  • access to your router
  • Dahua-DHIP-JSON-Debug-Console.py
  • wireshark

1) Start with a factory reset for both VTH and VTO. Admin password for VTO is a1234567 and VTH is 888888

2) Make sure of the IP address of VTO and VTH. By default they are coming with their own fixed IP address which is not compatible with your local network (mine is for instance 192.168.178.x)
Get the MAC address of the VTH and VTO (with your router or with VDPConfig° and choose 2 fixed IP address that you assign to the MAC address on your router
DHCP can be configured on the VTH but not on the VTO (except if you activate it with Dahua-DHIP-JSON-Debug-Console).
Go to the VTH and VTO and assign the fixed IP address you chose (with also gateway and DNS)
To make sure that it is working, activate SSH on VTH and VTO and try to ping and ssh into them (user: admin; password: 7ujMko0 + your password) and execute the command route to check

3) Go to the VTO, check that the SIP Server is enabled. Go the Room page and create a new room with nickname 9901#0 and password 123456
Check in the status page that the VTO is online

4) In the local settings, choose villa (if you have VTO4202) and change the layout. Don't forget to select 9901 as the number to call on the graphical element with the ring.

4) Go to the VTH, change the name of the VTH to 9901#0, configure the SIP registration: IP adress of the VTO + user (you cannot change it) + password 123456
configure the VTO: IP adress of the VTO + user admin + password a1234567
Now after a while the X symbol of the VTO (upper right) should disappear with the ion

Check that the VTH is ringing when you ring the VTO
use wireshark to see if VTH is correctly register to the VTO
use Dahua-DHIP-JSON-Debug-Console.py to check with "config SIP" each configuration of the VTO + VTH
use wireshark to see if the VTH is registering to the VTO correctly

more to come about the topic...

Jay74

n3wb
Reaction score
:headbang: It works!!,!,! Thank you soooooooo much. Now I just need to change the voice on the VTO to German then I can drink a beer.

regards
Jay

livebild

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Huurra ! ;-)
Please also tell me how to change the VTO to German. I haven't looked into this.

teemu81

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
You'll need a firmware version with the german language, if you already have it you'll find the option to change the language on the main page of your VTO (the one that loads after the login) around the top right corner, otherwise you'll have to update the VTO with the file containing the european languages. Unfortunately I don't have access to my resources right now, I'll try to upload a file during the next week if you're in need of it

Jay74

n3wb
Reaction score
If I change the VTO user interface language does the spoken VTO message change too? Right now iris a woman’s voice in English.