Dahua vs hikvision? Turret, dome, or bullet? Where to purchase?

loglobal

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Just now comparing cameras for my forthcoming system.

1) Is there any reason to consider Dahua over Hikvision? Is there any reason to look at other brands?

2) As far as style goes, should I try to exclusively use turret cameras if I intend to employ motion detection, or should I consider bullet and / or dome cameras as well?

3) Assuming Hikvision cameras, should I buy from Amazon, or elsewhere? Should I worry about the lack of warranty from non-authorized resellers? Should I worry about receiving older firmware that is nonupgradeable?

4) If not Amazon, where should I purchase cameras?

Thanks!

CaliGirl

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Post a photo describe what you need to monitor before anyone can answer those. What is your budget for cameras?

loglobal

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Post a photo describe what you need to monitor before anyone can answer those. What is your budget for cameras?
In short, just a couple dozen cameras between $75 and $125 (preferably) used to occasional monitor employees, deter theft in a resale / consignment environment (the entrance / exit hallway is a great choke point, and have a record if someone were to break in at night. To be honest, because this whole thing is replacing an analog system that is very low resolution, we would likely be happy with cameras in the $50 - $75 range, with perhaps two or three that are twice that for specific uses.

In the Hikvision world, I have noted the following bullet cameras from which to choose:

But it sounds like bullet cameras are not the best choice if using motion detection, so I have noted the following turret cams:

CaliGirl

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
In the interest of price point and for your use, might want to opt for one of those 8 camera package deals with NVR. Then upgrade the hard drive for more space. I'd mount a camera directly above the cash register with 6mm lens to record monetary transactions or deter employee theft. The other cameras should be mounted low enough in the hallway to capture the face and not the top of someone's head. Or do you have a good NVR or Blue Iris computer already? If you do then just go for cameras.

Motion detection is terrible in my opinion unless 1. It is inside with no trees casting shadows 2. At night when there is no normal people activity (this might be a good option for you to run it at night only)

loglobal

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
In the interest of price point and for your use, might want to opt for one of those 8 camera package deals with NVR. Then upgrade the hard drive for more space. I'd mount a camera directly above the cash register with 6mm lens to record monetary transactions or deter employee theft. The other cameras should be mounted low enough in the hallway to capture the face and not the top of someone's head. Or do you have a good NVR or Blue Iris computer already? If you do then just go for cameras.

Motion detection is terrible in my opinion unless 1. It is inside with no trees casting shadows 2. At night when there is no normal people activity (this might be a good option for you to run it at night only)
Actually, we were originally going to go with a traditional NVR. But the capabilities of Blue Iris resulted in us going that route. We conducted extensive testing with a variety of high-resolution public camera feeds before reaching our decision. At this point we have to purchase cameras and switches.

Yes, motion detection will be used in the space at night as well as perhaps the parking lot (facing the building). also at night.