Dahua vs hikvision doorbell

user8963

Known around here
Reaction score
In the thread I referenced above, there were the following statements:
This is somehow true,

p2p
on both devices you can use external sip servers... but... you lose some features... on hik devices you cannot have snapshots of visitors, both devices will have problems with early video media (so you see the visitor on app without accept the call) , maybe problems with push notifications (depends on used sip client) .... etc...
normal customer would use p2p, because it is maybe to hard to setup an own sip server
all in all these devices only works "fine" with p2p cloud if you want to use their own app...
this is also discussed on the threads i posted where you have to use p2p/accountmode to get push notifications somehow working or other features.
for me this is all not acceptable, because everything works a few years ago on nvr/cameras without account mode,
doorbell in vlan is maybe acceptable... they need internet anyway if you dont want to use own sip server

standalone
hik kv series had a firmware update to get standalone mode working over p2p cloud
BOTH cannot connect external chime on outdoor station, so the standalone mode is somehow useless , only if you want to include it into HA (or else) .. but then you will not have any 2way audio features.. so you have to some mod like connect a sip client (phone) near the video station... not my favour
i dont understand the mode...

api
both devices have api since version 1.0, this is stupid. the guy there only cant find the pdf

but some functions are not on kd8003, they include it in the next firmwares (maybe)... on kv you have all functions which are described in intercom pdf (ISAPI)... and some camera api functions
hikvision sends early firmware for kd8003 with all api features ( i think its also available on HA community)

onvif
dont understand... both are onvif compatible (kv series, not sure about kd)
but it has rtsp etc. dont understand why you need onvif ?
the motion detection on both devices is useless (no ai features) and also stupid. you will get an alert on each person passing the camera... why would someone like to have this? even if you mount it not on street (fence, gate...) .. many false alerts because bitrate motion detection is garbage.

webif
kv has webif, also kd (maybe old firmware)

using sip
on both devices a pain in the ass... it works, but not like p2p cloud

Last edited:

livebild

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Yes someone should post an update comparing properly Dahua and Hikvision with the latest models and firmwares.
At that time I had to take a decision based on the available data, perhaps today I would take a different decision.

For the standalone mode, I think the idea is that the Dahua Outdoor station can be fully used (and configured) without an Indoor monitor.
I don't know if this is the case with Hikvision ?

The Dahua SIP Server is working quite well, I really had no issue with my (Fritz!box) SIP client to register and to receive calls (voice only not video).
The key I think is to not use an external SIP server (except if you need to do Video SIP).

I don't like P2P servers in China and so I decided to deactivate this option.
The plan is to block the Dahua VTO and VTH to connect to anything outside the local network and to use HA on my smartphone to connect (though a VPN ) to the VTO. That way I should be safe from security and privacy point of view.
I haven't managed to find the time (yet) to connect the VTO to HA, so for the moment I am using DMSS (but without P2P). Hopefully the Home Assistant integrations will solve the issue to be able to answer through HA.

Badstraw

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
@livebild

yeah... sadly it is not allowed to record the street with cctv in most european countries,
so i dont really care about quality.. i need it only if someone press the button, then B/W image is fine. the angle and mounting options of the intercom is limited, so i dont need it in my "surveillance" system.
i can have better cameras on my property with a good view...

one is happy with dahua, one with hikvision. for me both have some unacceptable bugs, which are only acceptable because they are so cheap and there is no better system on the market (even 2N/doorbird systems are not that good, only pricy) ... for me hikvision system has less annoying features/bugs, so i choosed it.
if there is a solution for the ringbacktone , i would choose dahua, because some features on dahua are better.

if someone cares in design and user friendly interface, then he should choose hikvision,,, because the design/interface of dahua intercom systems is in my opinion awful.

... OP should buy a test device and play around, if he likes it... fine. if not , send it back
i bought my outdoor station on aliexpress, so i was only able to send the displays back... :(
That’s the problem, I would have to buy it on amazon but they don’t have it available now..

i think I’ve seen some videos with the "calling now"/"door is unlocked" disabled, watch this part..

also you can use an electronic chime through an esp32 board and a relay..

check this:

the benefit of Mqtt is that you can trigger any light, switch, or other cameras to record when someone presses the button on the VTO, and you can design your own automations.

My main concern is the DMSS app, because it seems that It has lots of bugs and sometimes it won’t send notifications to some IOS devices.

Badstraw

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I don't know, it is really working fine on iOS (except after some update).
But I was really careful to confirm that the app subscription was correctly registered (you have to use the query script on the german forum you mentioned) and I am not using P2P (my phone is connected through VPN to my local network).
Big issue with Android is the battery management differences between different Android devices. Some are more aggressive or "creative" than others and your DMSS app may end up "optimized away" and as a result is sleeping when it is supposed to accept a call. On iOS, it is easier to manage as everything is the same.
are you using this script to confirm that the app subscription was correctly registered?

have you tried changing the ringtone? GitHub - mcw0/Tools: Some tools

edit.. maybe it’s no longer possible with the newest firmware

Last edited:

user8963

Known around here
Reaction score
you can disable the sounds on some devices
also the one button version 2202 has a better camera,
but i needed 3 buttons, so i had to use modular series... and on this device the firmware was buggy so the functions to disable it do not disable all speech ...... on some older firmware/devices these features are not available (read here in some threads)
also the camera on modular series is near the same quality than hikvision, really bad if you compare it to normal cctv cameras... but its 180° ... so it doesnt matter, because 180° cameras will always be shitty to identify someone in far

soundcontrol.PNG

also you can mod everything with some fancy relay.. but thats not what i said.
the outdoor station has 2 relays, why cant one the external chime like on other wifi doorbells ?

i dont like this mod everything. if your HA server dies, fail or whatever, you lose the ability to hear someone on the door ? haha...
these are functions which should work out of the box with ONLY power. it is a doorbell.

i dont see the point. why you just buy it and test if you are happy, if not, send it back.. its all personal favour, the one is happy with device a, another with device b..

you see some raw footage in the video you posted... its not like the screens posted from @livebild
the footage from livebild has much light and were forced to color, only still image... so no real world comparison

i would even not configure it like "only IR if button is pressed" ... you will not be able to see what happen before if you plan to record it.

nightvision:

dayview:

Last edited:

Badstraw

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Okay I ended up buying the dahua, finally I took the decision because It was cheaper than the hikvision and I don’t mind that I have to disable the annoying voice and use a separate relay for the chime. I have a home server running 24x7 so the relay should work most of the time.

it seems that the app works reliably with p2p but I would prefer to use openvpn if I want to talk so someone while I’m not at home.
Thanks, I’ll let you guys know how it goes.

livebild

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
@user8963 The standalone VTO2202F-P has a better camera than the modular VTO4202F-P ?
Do you perhaps have some screenshots comparing the two ?
It would be a bummer because I thought that the camera was really good (even if for now I don't use it a lot).

@Badstraw Yes I am using the script to confirm that the registration went fine. I am also not using P2P but openvpn to connect to the VTO. I don't think I have ever missed a call outside of updates. Because sometimes, after a DMSS update (it is OFTEN updated), the calls were not transferred. So after each update, make sure that this is still working.

Badstraw

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
@user8963 The standalone VTO2202F-P has a better camera than the modular VTO4202F-P ?
Do you perhaps have some screenshots comparing the two ?
It would be a bummer because I thought that the camera was really good (even if for now I don't use it a lot).

@Badstraw Yes I am using the script to confirm that the registration went fine. I am also not using P2P but openvpn to connect to the VTO. I don't think I have ever missed a call outside of updates. Because sometimes, after a DMSS update (it is OFTEN updated), the calls were not transferred. So after each update, make sure that this is still working.
I’ll get mine next week, btw I was reading the manual and I saw this:

45C8FBCB-30DC-45B4-91AB-9BCC2D1C3417.jpeg
Maybe you can change the ringtone with the newest firmware.. I’ll have to check that once I have mine.
I will disable p2p so I can use openvpn, I’ll let you know how it goes.

denywinarto

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Hi, i'm in the same boat, thinking of getting the Dahua VTO.
But i dont really wanna use their VTH since i already got bigger windows based viewing station (has to be windows for skype calling)

So i was wondering if anyone could do me a favor and to test the dmss (as VTH alternative) using android emulator such as memu?
And see if 2 way audio works properly with your VTO.
With windows laptop should be simple to set up, as long as you're on the same network it should detect the VTO
I tested memu with skype and video call doesn't seem to work on my laptop, so i'm a bit skeptical

Alternatively, It's actually possible with dss express to create standalone VTH, but the free version doesn't allow intercoms,
and the pro license costs too much for home usage.