Dahua - Unifi USG VLAN

davw

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Hi I have a Dahua NVR and 2 x IPC-HDW5231R
Just got a Unifi USG but have an unmanaged Netgear POE Switch
To improve security is it advisable to create a VLAN and stick the Dahua gear in it?
Any guides on how to do this please?
Or what is the best way to stay safe.
cheers

Ep1phany

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi I have a Dahua NVR and 2 x IPC-HDW5231R
Just got a Unifi USG but have an unmanaged Netgear POE Switch
To improve security is it advisable to create a VLAN and stick the Dahua gear in it?
Any guides on how to do this please?
Or what is the best way to stay safe.
cheers
I use a USG. My cameras are all on their own vlan / subnet so they can't see the rest of my network. I use firewall rules on the USG to drop connections from that vlan to everything else including the internet. Works fine.

With a Unifi USG you still need a managed switch to configure different vlan's and subnets to specific ports on the switch.

Just search for a vlan tutorial for the USG, or a more general tutorial about vlans. It doesn't have to be specific for Dahua.
You'll also have to review how to create firewall rules on the USG.

Hope that helps, sorry I don't have any saved tutorials to share with you.

mikeynags

Known around here
Reaction score
You'll need a managed switch that supports VLANs. You can put in firewall rules on the USG to block the cameras from phoning home. If you are a fan of Unifi gear, look at the Cross Talk solutions, Lawrence Technology Systems or Wille Howe Youtube pages. They cover some extensive topics on the entire Unifi line and also things like setting up VLANs.

davw

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
thanks guys. not looking to spend on a managed switch yet.
anything i can do with what i have?

Also is putting a vpn on usg do-able?

mikeynags

Known around here
Reaction score

Yes - here is a link to some instructions on setting it up from Unifi

DLONG2

Known around here
Reaction score

An 8 port 60W PoE Ubiquiti switch runs about $108. You could assign one of the eight ports as the camera VLAN.

Reaction score
An 8 port 60W PoE Ubiquiti switch runs about $108. You could assign one of the eight ports as the camera VLAN.
could I just plug in the NVR to the one port, assign the vlan and call it a day? would I need the other Ubiquiti routers, etc?

McBud

n3wb
Reaction score
could I just plug in the NVR to the one port, assign the vlan and call it a day? would I need the other Ubiquiti routers, etc?
I have the US-8-60W and thing runs hot. 101F on the bottom of the unit with only the power plug connected to it. I think you may need the USG to setup the switch.

STGMavrick

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I use a USG. My cameras are all on their own vlan / subnet so they can't see the rest of my network. I use firewall rules on the USG to drop connections from that vlan to everything else including the internet. Works fine.

With a Unifi USG you still need a managed switch to configure different vlan's and subnets to specific ports on the switch.

Just search for a vlan tutorial for the USG, or a more general tutorial about vlans. It doesn't have to be specific for Dahua.
You'll also have to review how to create firewall rules on the USG.

Hope that helps, sorry I don't have any saved tutorials to share with you.
I do the same as you. Vlan specific to all cameras + NVR. Camera firewall rules are switch port based to drop all traffic except to the USG for NTP sync. NVR port shares the same rules as the main network vlan.

Juristo

n3wb
Reaction score

Do you have a Raspberry Pi? You could install Pihole and blacklist the domains you see it reaching out to. That's what I'm doing until I figure out this VLAN stuff.

bob2701

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
How about $29 for a managed switch?? :rolleyes:

Check out the Mini Flex.

davw

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
hi i have just set up pihole
still trying to work it out :)

davw

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
i currently have Virgin Media Modem > USG > POE switch 1 with 2 IP cams and 1 Unifi AP connected > cable running to loft space attached to another POE switch connected to NVR and another unifi AP
where would the USW flex go?