Dahua tails - unplug from camera to pass through roof?

psycik

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
The tails on a camera with the AC adapter and network plug are about 20mm. Is it possible to unplug the tail from the camera to leave teh network and ac plugs inthe roof and pass the connector though a slightly smaller hole?

cor35vet

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Which camera?
On mine it's not possible, the tail cable is epoxied with the case.

Just pass the ethernet cable outside? The connector is waterproof for a reason..
Or you could use a little junction box to hide the cables.

CaliGirl

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I don't like the pigtails either. Requires you to drill a very large hole through the wall compared to just the cat5 cable.

I'd drill the small hole, insert the cat 5, add the connector on the end. Then hide/cover the pigtail with a small junction box for $8: https://www.amazon.com/Waterproof-Position-Terminals-Electric-Junction/dp/B012NJUUG4/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1475087859&sr=8-3&keywords=junction+box

or even this:https://www.amazon.com/uxcell-Waterproof-Outdoor-Electrical-Junction/dp/B016PO1CWE/ref=sr_1_8?ie=UTF8&qid=1475088072&sr=8-8&keywords=outdoor+junction+box

I'm going to buy a few for my cams.

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

psycik

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I buy sewerage/waste water endcaps. They about 100mm and on my 4300c cameras which are 100mm diameter they're perfect and pretty cheap. Then as you say drill for the cat5 then crimp the end and bundle the tail and cat5 into the end cap.

I just bought a 4421 and this is 110mm so I couldn't use the same end cap, managed to find a 150mm one. But it's about the same cost as an official dahua roof mount, I only went with it as I wanted to install that weekend and not wait for shipping. If I bought another 4421 I'd get the mount at the same time.

CaliGirl

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I buy sewerage/waste water endcaps. They about 100mm and on my 4300c cameras which are 100mm diameter they're perfect and pretty cheap. Then as you say drill for the cat5 then crimp the end and bundle the tail and cat5 into the end cap.

I just bought a 4421 and this is 110mm so I couldn't use the same end cap, managed to find a 150mm one. But it's about the same cost as an official dahua roof mount, I only went with it as I wanted to install that weekend and not wait for shipping. If I bought another 4421 I'd get the mount at the same time.
Do you have a photo of one mounted? I know what the cap looks like from your link but can't fathom how you mount the camera to the cap and the cap to the house? The caps cost more then a junction box? You think those caps would be $2-3