Dahua Starlight's & NVR

RY7

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi,
I am looking to buy Two IP cams and a NVR. I am a UK member, so i am looking to spend around £400.

I have been reading a bit on the forum and it looks like the Dahua Starlights are some of the best for the price? Im not too sure which one to go for, the fixed or Varifocal? Are the 2mp ones better in the dark?

What NVR would you recomend? I will have a maximum of three cameras. I suppose a Dahua NVR to match would be better?

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Starlights are the best overall at this point.

2mp is the best in the dark.

Stick with the same brand NVR as the cams for less headaches.

Read the posts in the Dahua section.

Fastb

Known around here
Reaction score
RY7,

Welcome to the forum!

Im not too sure which one to go for, the fixed or Varifocal?
If you go with Fixed, then you have to pick a lens. See Camera Calculator / Design Software
Enter your address, Google maps will show a downwards view. Place a cam on you house, and a "subject" to view at the distance to suit your yard, and it will help you pick the right lens for the right FOV (Field of View). Keep the PPF (Pixels Per Foot) above 70, ideally above 100 for good facial resolution to identify the trespasser or license plate.

Much easier, w/o risk of picking the wrong lense, is a varifocal. With adjust-ability, you pick the zoom level (FOV) to exactly meet your needs. Eg: standard cam lens options aren't infinite. eg: 3.6mm, then next up is 6mm, then 12mm.... Varifocal lets you pick anything, eg: 5.5mm. A lot less risky than picking a fixed lens size, esp for a newbie.

Be advised, locating a good cam mount spot, and a good FOV, is tricky. Many folks make adjustments once they have the cam and see the recorded images. Start with one cam and an NVR and get up the learning curve. eg: None of my cams mounted where I thought was ideal are still there. They were moved after I played around. Thankfully, I mounted them temporarily at first.

looney2ns offers excellent guidance, BTW

Again, Welcome!

Fastb

aristobrat

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
What NVR would you recomend? I will have a maximum of three cameras. I suppose a Dahua NVR to match would be better?
One advantage to matching the NVR brand with the camera brand is that you can then record IVS events that you've setup on the camera, like Tripwire, Intrusion Detection, etc (in addition to Motion Detection and scheduled).

If your NVR brand doesn't match your camera brand, you can usually only record Motion Detection and scheduled. You lose the ability to record the IVS events, although you can still set the camera up to email you snapshots in those situations.

Reactions: RY7

davw

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
welcome from another uk based member. just bought my first IPC-HDW5231R-Z and still trying to work it all out.
going to use my QNAP nas as a nvr for now to save a few quid.
where ru based.
all the best

RY7

n3wb
Reaction score
welcome from another uk based member. just bought my first IPC-HDW5231R-Z and still trying to work it all out.
going to use my QNAP nas as a nvr for now to save a few quid.
where ru based.
all the best
Thanks davw,
I am from cambridgeshire.

Can you tell me about the QNAP?

RY7

n3wb
Reaction score
I am looking to buy all of the following as a bundle.

What sellers would you recomend?

2x Dahua Starlight Varifocal Turret (IPC-HDW5231R-Z)

2x Wall mounts

1x Dahua NVR (For four cameras)

davw

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
RY7 - I am not too far away in hertsfordshire.
I got a cheap deal £80 for a QNAP TS221 with 2x1tb drives included. It includes a license for 2 cameras. Not set it up yet so cant comment.
I assume buying the Dahua NVR makes more sense longterm. (I may sell the nas to buy the nvr if i get the bug)
There are some cheap Dahua NVRs on the market but dont know how they compare.
The 2mp starlight does hold a microSD card internally which would get you going.

RY7

n3wb
Reaction score
RY7 - I am not too far away in hertsfordshire.
I got a cheap deal £80 for a QNAP TS221 with 2x1tb drives included. It includes a license for 2 cameras. Not set it up yet so cant comment.
I assume buying the Dahua NVR makes more sense longterm. (I may sell the nas to buy the nvr if i get the bug)
There are some cheap Dahua NVRs on the market but dont know how they compare.
The 2mp starlight does hold a microSD card internally which would get you going.
So is it possible to just use the cameras with a sd card and view the footage via smart phone?

I have been looking at the Dahua 4104P NVR

aristobrat

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
So is it possible to just use the cameras with a sd card and view the footage via smart phone?
I haven't done it personally, but I'm 99% sure I've read about other folks doing that in the big 5231r-z thread.

ChooChooman74

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score

I have been looking at the Dahua 4104P NVR
Yes it is. Best way, of course, is VPN into your network to do so. Setup gDMSS or iDMSS to connect to your camera(s).