Dahua Starlight - Indoor?

EmptyWallet

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I see the Z and ZE still mentioned a TON for the go-to Dahua Camera. All the shots I see of them are outdoors though.

What about for a camera inside the house? Stands to reason they'd work just as good, correct? Or is there a better choice?

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
I have a Starlight turret inside the house and it was a big upgrade. Glad I did it.

zebrock

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Personally, I’d prefer the looks of the Starlight wedge mini-dome indoors vs the turret, but the turret would def work!

IPC-HDBW4231F-AS | Dahua Technology

There is a review here that compares the size of this next to a soda can. This is a pretty small camera. Obviously not vari-focal, but still a great cam!
I agree. Great choice for indoors and in my opinion a bit less intrusive than the turret. As mentioned only downside is it's not verifical.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Jagradang

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Another comparison

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
Thanks for the images.. Interestingly I was just asking about this camera in another post!! Pot luck eh

Do you think it's a good choice for covering the front door inside? Or would you recommend a different cam?

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Reaction score
Have to pile on regarding that Starlight mini-dome. I second the opinion that the lack of varifocal (and therefore you need to order the right lens out of the gate and can't really optimize it to your setup once you get it) and the general consensus is the domes are not as great for outdoor, although mine hangs on the garage and *knock on wood* no problems yet!

I'll be ordering one for a side/back-facing door that is in a cubby space hidden from street view and is full of bikes, kayak etc. My wife preferred that profile for indoor use as well, until TenderTendon hooked me up with aIPC-HUM8230 "covert camera" he had tried, which has terrible night vision but is perfectly adequate for my indoor & birdhouse needs. Probably going to try an eyeball cameras next (like you have pictured) for a couple spots since they are more highly rated for outside in the sun.

keithl

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
So I use IPC-HDBW4231E-AS Dome inside in my foyer pointing at the front door. Due to extreme lighting I have to use WDR which softens the pic a bit, but I wanted the faster shutter speed to be able to get clear frames should there be an intrusion. WDR actuallys help the night view a bit. The Dome is not too obnoxious as I have it mounted about a closet door. I only have 2 domes, the 2MP Stralight in my foyer and a 4MP Stravis (non-Starlight) in my garage, everything else are turrets. Other than all these cams are dark along the edges at night due to poor IR pattern they all work great. I love the Turrets, fairly compact size nice mounting options.

To me if the Starlight is not a requirement I love the 6MP and 8MP Eco-Savvy 3.0 turrents as they have great details in daylight and perform decent at night. The 4MP is less than impressive, not enough detail in daylight and no better than the 6/8MP at night.

nbstl68

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
So just caught this a few posts above...Saying "Starvis" and "Starlight" are not the same feature?
Here is Sony's Starvis write-up which is what I assumed all the hype was about. Better color non-ir night view.
Sony Shows Off a New Ultra-Sensitive CMOS Sensor Called ‘STARVIS’

So what is "Starlight" really referring to in addition to that?

I like the recessed model you mention but can't think of when I would not want IR for in-home. Who leaves lights on in the house all night? Those are more for businesses and shopping malls where the lights never go out.

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
So just caught this a few posts above...Saying "Starvis" and "Starlight" are not the same feature?
Here is Sony's Starvis write-up which is what I assumed all the hype was about. Better color non-ir night view.
Sony Shows Off a New Ultra-Sensitive CMOS Sensor Called ‘STARVIS’

I like the recessed model you mention but can't think of when I would not want IR for in-home. Who leaves lights on in the house all night? Those are more for businesses and shopping malls where the lights never go out.
You can dim down an incandescent bulb fairly low, and it will still emit a lot of IR for use in the house.
I know lots of folks that leave lights on all night for various reasons.
Don't shoot the messenger.

Reaction score
I think that recessed dome is only marginally smaller than the starlight wedge dome.
  • DH-IPC-HDBW4231F-AS 106mm dia by 50.3mm height to topmost part of dome.
  • DH-IPC-HDB4231G-AS 93mm dia (the below ceiling flange) by ~44mm (eyeballing that) for the part that hangs down below the ceiling.
  • DH-IPC-HDBW4231F-E2-M-M12 122mm dia by 66.2mm and you can look in two different directions with one camera (like at a front door and side garage entrance, or at either end of a long hallway from the middle).
I'm not sure if there are other benefits, but looks like really similar specs at a glance. I'm guessing for the wedge dome the 4.5W spec is slightly higher due to the IR. Do you want a 3" hole in your ceiling (and you need 3" depth as well) or do you want a smaller hole and a surface mounted camera that's only slightly less discrete.

For what it is worth, I've only had one door knocker notice (i.e. look at) my Starlight mini dome (a solid white object mounted to a green wall about 8 ft off the ground) and I get lots of door knockers. I think if I painted it like some have shown elsewhere on the forums, it would be nearly invisible.

Mr_D

Getting comfortable
Reaction score

Starvis is a line of Sony sensors with excellent sensitivity while starlight is Dahua's name for their line of cameras which meet a certain standard for low-light performance. Starlight cameras use Starvis sensors. But Starvis aren't the only sensors with good low-light performance. And you could put a Starvis sensor behind a slow (small aperture) lens and produce a camera that doesn't do well in low light.

keithl

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I am still rather new to this, but not all Starvis sensors are Starlight.

I look at camers specs for minimum illumination.

For Dahua Starlight you typically see specs like this:
0.009Lux/F2.0( Color,1/3s,30IRE)
0.07Lux/2.0( Color,1/30s,30IRE)
0Lux/F2.0(IR on)

For Dahua non-Starlight Starvis here is an example
0.06Lux/F1.6( Color,1/3s,30IRE)
0.4Lux/F1.6( Color,1/30s,30IRE)
0Lux/F1.6(IR on)

Notice the magnitude difference in the amount the sensor can operate in without IR.

That said there are many things that can impact image quality, lens type, aperture of the lens all play a role.

That said for me I use several 8MP and 6MP Starvis non-Starlight and the IR illuminated image is very clean. That said IR illumination can reflect off of certain surfaces which makes it hard under some situations this blowing out the detail.

aristobrat

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Dahua hasn't specifically said it, but I've noticed what @keithl posted above... seems that cameras that can stay in color at .009Lux (or darker) get the Starlight designation. Higher MP cameras can't do that, even with a STARVIS image sensor.

And now comes Dahua US, with seem to be using the Starlight brand completely differently that how we're used to seeing it with the International models. WTF Dahua US?

At least they had the decency to call the Starlight that we're used to seeing from the International models "enhanced Starlight, for professional applications that require better visibility under dark conditions". Ugh. :)

keithl

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Marketing, marketing, marketing. They are leveraging the Starlight name with the consumers attraction to higher MP.

aristobrat

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I guess. Dahua doesn’t sell these models to consumers though. I just wish Dahua US used the term the same way as the rest of Dahua does.