Dahua SD49225XA-HNR step-by-step configuration and settings with BI and tracking

istreich

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I have received my SD49225 from Andy with the auto tracking firmware. Finally have time to unbox it and install it (both physically and on my Blue Iris). It has been a couple of years since I have installed new cameras. On top of it, this one has new (great) features including of course autotracking.
Can you guys point me to a good post or Wiki (or document) that would provide solid instructions and dos and don't to make sure I install it properly, use all features properly and pick the right stream and resolution settings.
I also need to set it up properly in Blue Iris.

The camera will be installed outdoor at the corner of my house to monitor a private driveway day and night. It will be accessed through Blue Iris (primarily) and is part of half dozen plus network of other cameras.

Thanks a lot for the help and great support as always!

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
In my opinion, shutter (exposure) and gain are the two most important parameters and then base the others off of it. Shutter is more important than FPS. It is the shutter speed that prevents motion blur, not FPS. 15 FPS is more than enough for surveillance cameras as we are not producing Hollywood movies. Match iframes to FPS. 15FPS is all that is usually needed.

Many people do not realize there is manual shutter that lets you adjust shutter and gain and a shutter priority that only lets you adjust shutter speed but not gain. The higher the gain, the bigger the noise and see-through ghosting start to appear because the noise is amplified. Most people select shutter priority and run a faster shutter than they should because it is likely being done at 100 gain, so it is actually defeating their purpose of a faster shutter.

But first, run H264, smart codec off, CBR, and 8192 bitrate to start. This should make it more crisp.

I think you should also take off manual IR - your camera is low so you are getting a lot of IR bounce off the ground that is degrading the picture.

Go into shutter settings and change to manual shutter and start with custom shutter as ms and change to 0-8.3ms and gain 0-50 (night) and 0-30 (day)for starters. Auto could have a shutter speed of 100ms or more with a gain at 100 and shutter priority could result in gain up at 100 which will contribute to significant ghosting and that blinding white you will get from the infrared.

Now what you will notice immediately at night is that your image gets A LOT darker. That faster the shutter, the more light that is needed. But it is a balance. The nice bright night image results in Casper during motion LOL. What do we want, a nice static image or a clean image when there is motion introduced to the scene?

So if it is too dark, then start adding ms to the time. Go to 10ms, 12ms, etc. until you find what you feel is acceptable as an image. Then have someone walk around and see if you can get a clean shot. Try not to go above 16.67ms (but certainly not above 30ms) as that tends to be the point where blur starts to occur. Conversely, if it is still bright, then drop down in time to get a faster shutter.

You can also adjust brightness and contrast to improve the image.

You can also add some gain to brighten the image - but the higher the gain, the more ghosting you get. Some cameras can go to 70 or so before it is an issue and some can't go over 50.

But adjusting those two settings will have the biggest impact. The next one is noise reduction. Want to keep that as low as possible. Depending on the amount of light you have, you might be able to get down to 40 or so at night (again camera dependent) and 20-30 during the day, but take it as low as you can before it gets too noisy. Again this one is a balance as well. Too smooth and no noise can result in soft images and contribute to blur.

Do not use backlight features until you have exhausted every other parameter setting. And if you do have to use backlight, take it down as low as possible.

After every setting adjustment, have someone walk around outside and see if you can freeze-frame to get a clean image. If not, keep changing until you do. Clean motion pictures are what we are after, not a clean static image.

Now with a PTZ, there is the challenge in that at night, it will see a wide array of lighting depending on where it is pointed and the amount of zoom. So it takes additional dialing in to make sure it performs in all the different field of views that it might see.

I have found that this cam can take shutter/exposure 0-22ms and gain 0-65 before the ghosting starts to get bad. With an autotrack, you can run the shutter a little slower than a fixed cam since the camera is moving with the object. YMMV

Keep in mind auto-tracking is great, but it isn't perfect. Lot's of factors can influence the ability to track. They certainly are not plug and play.

It is a matter of getting the brightness/contrast and target ratio settings correct.

I always knew that you shouldn't chase a bright picture - it looks nice and people migrate towards a brighter TV for example, but upon closer examination, most images need to be toned down in order to get all the details. You will be surprised how much changing a parameter like gamma could impact tracking. For example, if you have a pesky tree or something in the middle of the view during an autotrack, just by changing some image parameters you can get autotrack to pass it.

Making the image a little darker at night actually helped with tracking someone across the street, which was opposite of what I thought you would think to do. So add some contrast to your image above and see if it improves.

I have a yard lamp post that more times than not autotrack would get stuck on it as someone was walking and the autotrack would only go so far. Because my image has soo much contrast (bright white concrete a third, blacktop road a third, grass a third), knocking down the gamma made the lamp post not be so "trackable" lol, and along with that I turned of PFA and that gave it just enough time to retrack the person walking past the lamp post. The camera may still autotrack the lamp post when a small kid goes by, but an adult it was autotracking past the lamp post.

Ideally for an intrusion box or tripwires, you should have the initial field of view be such that the camera doesn't have to initially pan too much up/down or left/right to get the object in the center of the screen to start tracking. The closer the object is to the center of the image, the better the chance that it will track correctly.

The reason it starts looking upward or left or right is usually because the intrusion box is too big so the camera identifies the object before it is in the center of the field of view and then sometimes something else matches the "algorithm signature" of the initial object and then starts trying to track something that isn't there. Adjusting the field of view and the locations of the IVS rules to be closer to the center can fix that.

The target track size plays a big role as well. Sometimes just changing that number by 1 can significantly improve or deteriorate the tracking ability.

Autotracking PTZs are great, but they have limitations like everything else. Installed in a wrong location or with fields of view that do not give it a chance will be problematic.

A camera losing track is usually changing something as simple as adjusting the field of view to get more of the object in the center can make all the difference whether it tracks correctly or not. Or changing brightness/contrast. Or the target track size.

istreich

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Thanks Wittaj for this. Very helpful. Still working on tweaking quite a few things and learning.
I have just added my cam to my Blue Iris install. It seems to be working ok except I don't know how to trigger Blue Iris with IVS alerts from camera.
My other cameras are triggered within Blue Iris and it is great to receive alert in Blue Iris. Unfortunately, I must have missed a setting either in cam settings, or Blue Iris, or both as not working for my new PTZ
In addition, can I use the Blue Iris AI engine to tell me what type of object has been detected?

All help on properly setting camera and Blue Iris to work together is welcome!

Thanks a lot

Iwan

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
There are a few places you need to set this up in Blue Iris, so not sure if you did both of them.

• In Camera configure setting check the box "Get ONVIF triggers".
  • Hit Find/Inspect on the camera setting to pull the coding for the triggers.
  • Go into Motion Setting and select the "Cameras digital input" box.

istreich

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
These settings are all in Blue Iris, not on the Dahua setting page. Right?
I can't find them. Do you mind telling me in which menus I can find them.
Thanks a lot

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Yep in BI. Go the screen where you see the camera iP and username and password and the check ONVIF triggers is a box at the bottom.

istreich

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Done 1 and 2 (In Camera configure setting check the box "Get ONVIF triggers". & Hit Find/Inspect on the camera setting to pull the coding for the triggers.). Thanks!
Where do you find Motion Settings to do "Go into Motion Setting and select the "Cameras digital input" box "
Still not getting alert in Blue Iris. Looks like no trigger being received either because not sent properly by camera and not received by BI
Really sorry to make it so complicated - next one will be easier!

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
From this screen select the 3rd check box "Camera's digital input or motion alarm":

1652584167320.png

jazzy1

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
curious why I seem to get tonnes of pixelation/noise when the ptz moves...any ideas?
Got shutter daytime at manual 0-8.3 and gain 0-30...2d NR 35, 3d NR 44
Also, what is EIS and Picture Freeze? Leave off?
Got digital zoom OFF, Zoom speed 100, Mode SEMI AUTO, Focus Limit AUTO, Sensitivity Default, PFA OFF...
Any change to these?

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
curious why I seem to get tonnes of pixelation/noise when the ptz moves...any ideas?
Got shutter daytime at manual 0-8.3 and gain 0-30...2d NR 35, 3d NR 44
Also, what is EIS and Picture Freeze? Leave off?
Got digital zoom OFF, Zoom speed 100, Mode SEMI AUTO, Focus Limit AUTO, Sensitivity Default, PFA OFF...
Any change to these?
Try upping your bitrate.

EIS is Electronic Image Stabilization and is used when they are installed on a pole that sways - it will help stabilize the image. Probably ok for a static image, but it would introduce a lot of blur during tracking.

Picture Freeze means it will post a picture of the preset it is going to if you use the tour mode so that you don't see the blur as it moves from one preset to another.

jazzy1

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Try upping your bitrate.

EIS is Electronic Image Stabilization and is used when they are installed on a pole that sways - it will help stabilize the image. Probably ok for a static image, but it would introduce a lot of blur during tracking.

Picture Freeze means it will post a picture of the preset it is going to if you use the tour mode so that you don't see the blur as it moves from one preset to another.
Thanks! well, I changed the BI encoder profile....it was on the lowest CPU one....massive difference...i must have had that set like that prior to substreams...
what do you think of the "direct to wire" feature...do you use it?
my BI PC is an older i7 2600 or something....seems to be ok....but at times feel like it can't keep up....i have about 12 cams.....

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Glad you figured it out.

Direct to wire is a great feature but you need to use H264 for it. Whenever you can take processing out of it, that is good thing and DTW allows it to go to UI3 without a lot of processing.

Wow that is an old machine! But if you have substreams turned on it can probably hold its own.

jazzy1

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Glad you figured it out.

Direct to wire is a great feature but you need to use H264 for it. Whenever you can take processing out of it, that is good thing and DTW allows it to go to UI3 without a lot of processing.

Wow that is an old machine! But if you have substreams turned on it can probably hold its own.
yeah, I’ve been tempted to upgrade it many times. I’ve wondered if one of those Intel nuc PCs would fit the bill and then have a bunch of drives in an enclosure?!

another question: On all the Dahua cameras, ONVIF triggers should be turned on correct? Does that mean motion detection in each of the camera interfaces should be turned off? Or is that only where you want to set up IVS like the motion tracking PTZ and stuff.
Are you happy with your set up a spotter cams working in conjunction with the 49225 auto tracking?

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Most here won't recommend a NUC as they are not designed for 24/7 usage of constant use that the video will hit it with. The CPU will throttle when hot and also may not overclock.

If you are using the cameras to send motion triggers to BI, then yes you need ONVIF triggers turned on.

I ABSOLUTELY LOVE the spotter cams working with my 49225. It is the only way to go.

It allows me to use the 49225 as an additional overview or fixed cam until another camera calls it into action.

I actually did a poor mans autotrack with a non-auto-tracking before I got the 49225. It worked decent, but the auto tracking takes it a whole new level.

kferrero

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
@wittaj how do you have your spotter cams configured for the 49225.

I am trying to do the same thing but it appears spotter cams can only trigger the 49225 to move to a preset when the spotter cam is triggered, and not on confirmed alerts. The problem I am having with this configuration is my spotter cams when windy or raining are triggering the 49225 non-stop because I can't seem to find a way to ONLY move the 49225 to a preset on a confirmed alert. How do you avoid your 49225 spinning all over the place when its windy/rainy and your spotters are triggering like crazy.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
If you are using the BI AI, then you need to go to this page and uncheck the boxes under When Triggered (uncheck Trigger camera groups, Move to preset, and Move camera groups)

1679002137316.png

And instead go to the Alerts tab and on Alert (or under Artificial Intelligence under Trigger), add the preset and camera there and what you want it to trigger for. Depending on your BI version or other settings, you may need to also add a wait time command to correspond to the track time of the camera and then add another PTZ preset to go back to the original preset.

1679002066204.png

kferrero

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Thanks man I knew there had to be a way to send commands to the PTZ only after a confirmed alert rather than just by a trigger but somehow I just couldn't find it. This is perfect!