Dahua recommendation / newest models?

MythicFrost

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Hi,

I have a couple of questions.

First question:

What are the newest models of Dahua turret cameras?
I am somewhat confused by the naming system. There's 2xxx, 3xxx, 4xxx, 5xxx, etc.
I initially thought the higher number was the newer series but now I am not so sure.

Second question:

I'm looking at getting 4-5 MP varifocal Dahua turrets for day/night vision.

I am located in Australia. The two sites I can shop at include:
spymonkey.com.au
securitywholesalers.com.au

Here are a few cameras I am looking at:
Dahua IPC-HDW2431T-ZS-S2 Security Camera: 4MP Turret, Motorized 2.7~13.5mm, Lite + Starlight
(1/3" sensor, 128MB RAM, Min illum: 0.008 Lux@F1.5)

Dahua IPC-HDW3449TM-AS-LED Security Camera: 4MP (Full HD) Turret, Fixed 2.8mm, WizSense + Starlight
(1/2.7" sensor, 512MB RAM, Min illum: 0.03 Lux@F1.0)

The price for the above two is the same. The latter has a better max bitrate and more RAM, but isn't a varifocal. Not sure if the light up LEDs are any good.

Dahua IPC-HDW3541T-ZAS Security Camera: 5MP Turret, Motorized 2.7~13.5mm, WizSense + Starlight
(1/2.7" sensor, 512MB RAM, Min illum: 0.05 Lux @F1.5)

This one is nearly twice the price. It doesn't seem to be as good as the second one in terms of lux and aperture but is varifocal.

Any thoughts on these?

Appreciate any input.

Cheers

Reaction score
Basically, you are thinking all wrong.

SouthernYankee

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
The current go to dahua cameras have 1/1.8 sensor size.

IPC-T5442TM-AS-LED . Review IPC-T5442TM-AS-LED (Full Color, Starlight+) - 4MP starlight
.................... Dahua IPC-T5442TM-AS-LED review
IPC-T5442TM-AS ..... Review-OEM 4mp AI Cam IPC-T5442TM-AS Starlight+ - 4MP starlight+
IPC-HDW5442t-ZE .... Dahua IPC-HDW5442T-ZE 4MP Varifocal Turret - Night Perfomance testing -- variable focus 2.7 mm-12mm 4 MP Starlight
IPC-B5442E-ZE ...... Review - OEM IPC-B5442E-ZE 4MP AI Varifocal Bullet Camera With Starlight+ -- variable 2.7mm-12mm bullet
IPC-B5442E-Z4E .... bullet 8mm-32mm variable focus zoom 4MP
IPC-HFW7442H-Z ..... Review - Dahua IPC-HFW7442H-Z 4MP Ultra AI Varifocal Bullet Camera -- 4 MP variable focus AI

SouthernYankee

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
if you are interested in International Dahua cameras, a forum member sells dahua (and some Hikvision) and ships world wide. You can read some of the members recommendations on his service. He also provides cameras to other forum member for evaluation and reviews.
You can email him for a quote, or purchase from his Aliexpress store or his Amazon store. The cameras are fully upgradable, he posts upgrade software when available.

I recommend email andy

Andy
@EMPIRETECANDY
kingsecurity2014@163.com
Andy's ipcamtalk vendor forum: EmpireTech Andy
Andy's AliExpress store: Empire Technology Co., Ltd - Amazing prodcuts with exclusive discounts on AliExpress
Andy's Amazon store: Amazon.com

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
Don't chase megapixels, chase sensor size. A 4MP camera on a 1/3" sensor will useless at night. 4MP on a 1/2.8" sensor is problematic at night. 4MP on a 1/1.8" sensor can supply full color at night with some ambient light. All cameras need light for full color at night.

Quick guide -

The smaller the lux number the better the low light performance. 0.002 is better than 0.02
The smaller the "F" of the lens the better the low light performance. F1.4 is better than F1.8
The larger the sensor the better the low light performance. 1/1.8" is better (bigger) than 1/2.7"
The higher the megapixels for the same size sensor the worse the low light performance. A 4MP camera with a 1/1.8" sensor will perform better than a 8MP camera with that same 1/1.8" sensor.

Don't believe all the marketing hype no matter who makes the camera. Don't believe those nice night time captures they all use. Look for videos, with motion, to determine low light performance.

Read the reviews here, most include both still shots and video.

Rule of thumb, the shutter speed needs to be at 1/60 or higher to get night video without blurring.

5442 Reviews

MythicFrost

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Basically, you are thinking all wrong.
Cheers, I have been working through that page.
The current go to dahua cameras have 1/1.8 sensor size.

IPC-T5442TM-AS-LED . Review IPC-T5442TM-AS-LED (Full Color, Starlight+) - 4MP starlight
.................... Dahua IPC-T5442TM-AS-LED review
IPC-T5442TM-AS ..... Review-OEM 4mp AI Cam IPC-T5442TM-AS Starlight+ - 4MP starlight+
IPC-HDW5442t-ZE .... Dahua IPC-HDW5442T-ZE 4MP Varifocal Turret - Night Perfomance testing -- variable focus 2.7 mm-12mm 4 MP Starlight
IPC-B5442E-ZE ...... Review - OEM IPC-B5442E-ZE 4MP AI Varifocal Bullet Camera With Starlight+ -- variable 2.7mm-12mm bullet
IPC-B5442E-Z4E .... bullet 8mm-32mm variable focus zoom 4MP
IPC-HFW7442H-Z ..... Review - Dahua IPC-HFW7442H-Z 4MP Ultra AI Varifocal Bullet Camera -- 4 MP variable focus AI
Oh, the HDW5442T-ZE looks great and isn't too far out of my budget.
I'm going to have a look around and see if I can get this one in Australia.
if you are interested in International Dahua cameras, a forum member sells dahua (and some Hikvision) and ships world wide. You can read some of the members recommendations on his service. He also provides cameras to other forum member for evaluation and reviews.
You can email him for a quote, or purchase from his Aliexpress store or his Amazon store. The cameras are fully upgradable, he posts upgrade software when available.

I recommend email andy

Andy
@EMPIRETECANDY
kingsecurity2014@163.com
Andy's ipcamtalk vendor forum: EmpireTech Andy
Andy's AliExpress store: Empire Technology Co., Ltd - Amazing prodcuts with exclusive discounts on AliExpress
Andy's Amazon store: Amazon.com
I'll check his stores out, but I am nervous purchasing overseas as any warranty issues are a headache. Particularly with COVID, shipping has slowed down a lot and is expensive!

Don't chase megapixels, chase sensor size. A 4MP camera on a 1/3" sensor will useless at night. 4MP on a 1/2.8" sensor is problematic at night. 4MP on a 1/1.8" sensor can supply full color at night with some ambient light. All cameras need light for full color at night.
Good to know!
I knew that a 1/3" sensor at 8MP will be useless but didn't know 4MP would be as well.
Quick guide -

The smaller the lux number the better the low light performance. 0.002 is better than 0.02
The smaller the "F" of the lens the better the low light performance. F1.4 is better than F1.8
The larger the sensor the better the low light performance. 1/1.8" is better (bigger) than 1/2.7"
The higher the megapixels for the same size sensor the worse the low light performance. A 4MP camera with a 1/1.8" sensor will perform better than a 8MP camera with that same 1/1.8" sensor.

Don't believe all the marketing hype no matter who makes the camera. Don't believe those nice night time captures they all use. Look for videos, with motion, to determine low light performance.

Read the reviews here, most include both still shots and video.

Rule of thumb, the shutter speed needs to be at 1/60 or higher to get night video without blurring.

5442 Reviews
Great, thank you. Yeah, I have been looking around at some videos. I thought the 2431T was okay at night but the 5442T-ZE is clearly better but 3x the price on eBay.

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Andy is great and ships all over the world. Even if you buy local, the cameras have to be sent somewhere for Warranty and usually a lot of back and forth before they accept it.

If you decide to not buy from a legitimate vendor with a proven track record, keep in mind that you should not update the firmware or you risk bricking the units. Too many folks sell hacked Chinese region cameras that cannot be updated. We have new threads every week from someone coming on here asking for help because they tried to update their camera and it doesn't work now. Every camera from Andy can be updated.

Some vendors will be honest and upfront on their selling page, while others are not.

1614484029603.png

MythicFrost

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Andy is great and ships all over the world. Even if you buy local, the cameras have to be sent somewhere for Warranty and usually a lot of back and forth before they accept it.

If you decide to not buy from a legitimate vendor with a proven track record, keep in mind that you should not update the firmware or you risk bricking the units. Too many folks sell hacked Chinese region cameras that cannot be updated. We have new threads every week from someone coming on here asking for help because they tried to update their camera and it doesn't work now. Every camera from Andy can be updated.

Some vendors will be honest and upfront on their selling page, while others are not.

View attachment 83586
Yeah, the two stores I am looking at purchasing from say they are genuine models. However, they do not have the 5442T-ZE. Maybe I'll ask them if they can source it, and if not, shipping from abroad will be my only option.