Dahua PTZ (old) vs LTS 4mp turret

pal251

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Today I took down my older 2mp 3x optical zoom Dahua PTZ camera (mini dome). I don't remember the model number. I replaced it with a 4mp lts turret camera, it is like night and day for the difference. Only have the camera at 2mp right now since that is all my nvr supports for right now till I get a new LTS nvr.

Here are the photos.

Attachments

Travieso

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
looks good where did you purchase it from if you dont mind me asking

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
I suspect the PTZ must have had a dirty lens or dome, and/or was being run at a really low bit rate. If it was configured as VBR (Variable bit rate), that could explain it too because it forces a really low bit rate on Dahua cameras in my experience, regardless of the quality settings you choose.

Whatever the cause of the poor quality in the first place, there is no denying it is a huge improvement! Congrats!

pal251

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Bp2008, it was at 4000 for the bit rate I think. Cleaned the dome aND lense but couldn't get much better quality. I'll fiddle with it more when I get time.

It was used when I bought it, must have been a reason why they sold it. I like this one a lot better

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
Bp2008, it was at 4000 for the bit rate I think
If it was set to VBR then the 4000 would have only been a maximum. Try constant bit rate, and I suggest maxing out the bit rate besides, just to see if it is indeed poor optics at fault. Beware that maxing out the bit rate might overload the camera's CPU and make it a tad unresponsive to PTZ controls. If that happens, you can lower the bit rate and/or frame rate to fix. That happened to my 12x Dahua :)

pal251

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I'll try that I got a spot for it in the back of my house

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
is the dome exposed to the sun? (sure looks like it based upon shadows) plastics loose there clarity with UV exposure over time.. They make UV stabilizers for most outdoor plastics but they are not used in transparent plastics.. and with enough time the sun always wins against plastic, stabilized or not it breaks down and fails.

Since you bought it used its probably outlived its usefulness. The glass on Turrets and Bullets are better for sun exposed cameras, they wont get cloudy.. put domes in shade, out of the harm of UV.

might take the dome off it entirely, run it naked.

I just noticed today that a USB charging outlet I installed in the kitchen just a year or so ago has already started to turn yellow against the outlet cover.. pissed me off until I looked at all the other outlets in the south facing kitchen.. they had all been discolored by UV.

Last edited by a moderator: