Dahua problem with watching Live streams and recordings that constantly chop on P2P or IP/Domain whether I watch via DMSS when accessed from outside!

zexoni70

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Or maybe at home it is staying local without going thru P2P and when remote you are then also at the mercy of the P2P server.

If you have the capability, it would be interesting to see if you setup OpenVPN or ZeroTier and turn off P2P and see if you could watch remotely without choppy video.
Dear @wittaj just to let you know that I set up OpenVPN on my Archer AX73 router and enabled DMZ on the provider's ONT router, and also downloaded and launched the OpenVPN app on my mobile and now everything works great. . :p

Now when I access from outside DMSS there is no problem and the Live Stream and the preview of recordings are smooth and do not freeze, and now I can watch everything on Main stream and with the highest Bitrate of 8192Kbps.

So OpenVPN, DMZ, and a public fixed IP solved my problem, and also now that I'm outside I can access all my home devices as if I'm at home!

Thank you again, greetings ! :)

zexoni70

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Awesome! Thanks for closing the loop. Sounds like P2P was your bottleneck.
Yes, it looks like P2P was the bottleneck in this case.
But here in Serbia, I have installed a lot of IP cameras where I encountered similar problems if the Bitrate is higher than 4096Mbps!

P2P doesn't seem to be working properly in my country..!;)

Reaction score
Hi, I have the same problem with my NVR4216-4KS2/L recorder on DMSS.
I have one question to what you wrote in the first post:
"I also bought a public static IP address from my provider (they removed me from CG-NAT), I forwarded ports 37777 and 80 on the ZTE F680 router and set in DMSS to connect via the IP/Domain option, but neither that didn't help and the live stream and viewing of the recorded material are still choppy and constantly twitching..."
So, if You have public static IP address and have configured DMSS to connect via the IP/Domain option - it means that DMSS connects directly to Your NVR, without P2P service. So it works similar to using a VPN and P2P is not a bottleneck? Do I understand it correctly?

Last edited:

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
Not completely.
In order for you to connect you’d need to port forward certain ports in the router, which isn’t very secure.

A VPN will still be a better choice.

Reaction score
Yes, but I just meant the type of connection : direct simple connection to the router via public IP address or direct connection via VPN server on the router are established without P2P functionality. So I don't understand why direct connection (without VPN) didn't help ?

Ollie

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Yes if you are willing to pay for it!
Hi, I want to add a backup WAN to my VPN router (there is a dedicated usb for that).
The WAN is of a different ISP (it is a cellular modem stick LTE).
Currently I'm using a static IP (router has a VPN tunnel).
I believe I must have a dynamic dns for backup to work - right?
How secure (safe) is using a dynamic dns - is it risky to my system?
thanks.