DAHUA PoE camera does not power with Poe switch but powers with 12v adapter

GaryOkie

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
In my case, the POE switch, the camera POE circuit and even the ethernet cable were faulty.
If your current POE source is OK as well as your Ethernet cable, then all you need is a POE splitter at the camera end to provide external power to the 3.5mm plug on the camera.

If your POE source is faulty and you need a new injector, then it should not be hard to find one that will work for that camera. I read the SD59225 requires up to 22Watts using 24V DC. (NOT AC).

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
There is no external power plug on wire harness. Only bare wires for rs485 connections with RJ45 ethernet jack. The spec sheet calls for 24VAC, and I can power up with variac.
Cannot power up with PoE+ only. Attached is spec sheet.
Page 3 of your specs show the 24VAC @ 3A power supply below. I'd PM Andy Wong @EMPIRETECANDY and ask about it's availablity and price.

dahua-24VAC-3A-power-supply.jpg

GaryOkie

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I was referring to the spec sheet of the DH-SD59225 which is the camera you said you had. Its spec states a 24 VDC/2.5A power requirement. The spec sheet you attached is for the Pro Series 59230UNI which does list AC24V/3A as well as the power supply accessory TonyR showed. There was no power supply accessory listed for the 59225.

winskate

n3wb
Reaction score
I stand corrected. sorry for the poor communication. My cam is SD59225U-HNI. Part numbering is so complicated.
I can obtain an external source but the fix would require another long cable run to the cam. Trying to avoid this, and get the PoE+ circuit repaired.
working on circuit, I suspect T1 xformer is shorted primary.

CamFan

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score

According to the link above, you need 24VDC, not 24VAC. FInd any PoE splitter, 23W minimum, lots of them on Amazon, of various quality and reliability.

If ethernet data is working, it is passing thru the T1transformer, not likely shorted. See my circuit sketch above. You need to look for diodes, MB8S or similar and look for power on the in & out, should be around 48VDC.

Last edited:

winskate

n3wb
Reaction score
I have the Pro series SD59225U-HNI, which included external power supply AC24v/3A. Purchased in 2017. I looked at your schematic, the design is for external DC supply.
The cam will only power on with external supply. PoE+ switch will not power cam on. I did borrow a PoE++ switch, and cam powers on.

Attachments

CamFan

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
There are 3 common ways for PoE to power a device, Mode A (power on pins 1, 2, 3 & 6), Mode B (power over pins 4, 5, 7 & 8) and 8 wire (all 8 pins get used, this is for PoE++ 802.3bt).

If it works over PoE++, then you just need to determine which mode has failed and find a PoE injector that uses the other mode or just use a PoE++ injector/switch.

Sounds like one of the Modes have failed - could be a blown rectifier MB8S. Probe the inputs (~) and the outputs (+/-) and you should see 48V-ish on each end.

You probably won't find any PoE Splitters that will output AC voltage, since PoE is DC and making AC from DC requires a bunch of circuitry, and devices that do this will make 120VAC, not 24V.

winskate

n3wb
Reaction score
Thanks for your help. On my circuit board, the network Xformer is a Group-Tek HST-0041 SAR. I checked both MB6S and appear to be ok (ohm chk).
I could scope out the ethernet signals, but without power-up not much info. ordered new components, will shotgun repair.