dahua outdoor WiFi IP camera

ste92

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
hi, I'm looking for an outdoor ip camera that works in 12v wifi because I have a house where there are no pipes to pull lan cables, so I install an access point on the roof and connect the cameras in wifi with sd. does anyone of you know if there are wifi models? I was also looking for hikvision, but the outdoor cameras do not work with the cloud thanks

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
hi, I'm looking for an outdoor ip camera that works in 12v wifi because I have a house where there are no pipes to pull lan cables, so I install an access point on the roof and connect the cameras in wifi with sd. does anyone of you know if there are wifi models? I was also looking for hikvision, but the outdoor cameras do not work with the cloud thanks
Hi @ste92

In general we have had too many issues with wifi cameras, and thus typically recommend going the extra step to run a wired solution.

Also the cameras you have posted iirc are older models, whose firmware may no longer be updated.

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
Rather than using WiFi APs think about using a dedicated encrypted wireless bridge. Much more secure, plenty of bandwidth to support multiple cameras and very reliable compared to WiFi.

Ubiquity Nano Station Loco M5

TP Link Be aware you'd need two of these to complete the link, one at each end.

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

kklee

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Another alternative is to use power line network adapters. Much more stable than a wifi bridge and plenty of bandwidth for an IP camera.

I used a set of these to extend my network out to my garage to run an 8MP camera in the garage:
Powerline 2000 Extender

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Another alternative is to use power line network adapters. Much more stable than a wifi bridge and plenty of bandwidth for an IP camera.
I've used both PLA's and Ubiquiti bridges depending on the situation and both have their pros and cons. That being said, I've replaced 2 sets of PLA's due to lightning and NO Ubiquiti AP/bridges in the same time frame 2015 to 2019.

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
I've had a Loco M5 running for over two years and the only time it drops is when there's a power failure at the "remote" end. There's no UPS out there so it goes offline due to no power. Other than that it's handling a total of three cameras, two 2MP and one 4MP, without even tickling the bandwidth capability.

ste92

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I sincerely thank everyone!
Hi @ste92

In general we have had too many issues with wifi cameras, and thus typically recommend going the extra step to run a wired solution.

Also the cameras you have posted iirc are older models, whose firmware may no longer be updated.
why did you feel bad with wifi camera?

I know very well ubiquitous, I have already used them to build bridges and I am fine. i would try to use only one antenna to control 4 cameras at most, one camera should use about 10 megabytes of bandwidth i think. the cameras of dahua above, in wifi do they work with the lorto cloud? thanks a lot!

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I sincerely thank everyone!

why did you feel bad with wifi camera?

I know very well ubiquitous, I have already used them to build bridges and I am fine. i would try to use only one antenna to control 4 cameras at most, one camera should use about 10 megabytes of bandwidth i think. the cameras of dahua above, in wifi do they work with the lorto cloud? thanks a lot!
Hi @ste92

wifi camera issues have been discussed extensively here .. I'll let anyone interested in the details search, look at the cliff notes, look at SouthernYankee's executive summary notes, as well as leave it to others who wish to comment directly to this question.

Left Coast Geek

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
wifi cameras still need power, and ethernet is just as easy to run as 12VDC power wiring, so why not use PoE and get rock solid connectivity AND power on the same wire ? I routed the ethernet for my outside cameras under the eves of the house, behind the backing boards that support the rain gutters.