Dahua outdoor camera microphone

Robertomcat

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Hello, good afternoon.

I'm looking for an outdoor microphone that is of sufficient quality to withstand the elements for a few years.

The microphones for this camera have to have the three wires without connectors (audio in, audio out and ground), but all I find are very basic microphones without any kind of protection and to put them in very hidden places.

Do any of you know of any decent microphones that can be used with an outdoor camera? Thanks!

Robertomcat

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
This one has worked well for me, and I haven't noticed anybody criticizing it.
Microseven IP Cameras
One like this was suggested in another thread.
But the camera I have does not have the connectors, it is just the cable to splice to another cable.

there are forum threads about this. Sebastiantombs or Looney had a good Amazon link at some point.
Could you pass me the link where the microphones are discussed?

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

CaptainCrunch

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
But the camera I have does not have the connectors, it is just the cable to splice to another cable.
Sorry, I missed that part in the original post. But they seem cheap enough (at least for me in the US through Amazon) that it may be worth it to get one and cut the wires after where the cables combine to see if they can be wired in. I would suspect between the mic and the combining block you'll find what is essentially in the below link.

Robertomcat

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Sorry, I missed that part in the original post. But they seem cheap enough (at least for me in the US through Amazon) that it may be worth it to get one and cut the wires after where the cables combine to see if they can be wired in. I would suspect between the mic and the combining block you'll find what is essentially in the below link.

Yes, that's exactly the one I've found, but as I've seen it so subtle to be able to be outside, I asked here if you had any options.

But I think I'm still going to have a problem, and it's going to be the power supply to the mic. The three dedicated audio in/out cables don't feed the mic, and the power supply is 24V and these mics use 12V.

Attachments

Broachoski

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
What camera are you trying to add the mic to? Does it require a 12 or 24 volt source if it is not being powered by POE.
If it requires 12 volts then an adapter shown in the link below could be used. It takes the POE from your ethernet and provides a separate 12 volt outlet. The ethernet out will no longer have the standard 48 volts so you would need a Y-splitter to feed the camera and the microphone.

Here is the a cable which would feed the camera and mic.

If your camera requires 24 volts when using an external source then the above will not work.

Robertomcat

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
What camera are you trying to add the mic to? Does it require a 12 or 24 volt source if it is not being powered by POE.
If it requires 12 volts then an adapter shown in the link below could be used. It takes the POE from your ethernet and provides a separate 12 volt outlet. The ethernet out will no longer have the standard 48 volts so you would need a Y-splitter to feed the camera and the microphone.

Here is the a cable which would feed the camera and mic.

If your camera requires 24 volts when using an external source then the above will not work.
Specifically the camera is this model, which arrived a few days ago from Andy PTZ85448-HNF-PA, and needs a 36V/5A power supply. So I think it's going to run out of microphone. :lmao:

1684692451400.png

Robertomcat

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Find a 2 wire mic and ignore the "audio out" cable. It looks like the connections are essentially that of a headset.
But I understand that the camera will not be able to feed the microphone. Please explain to me what your proposal is to be able to incorporate the microphone, specifically what are the materials to be used?

CaptainCrunch

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
But I understand that the camera will not be able to feed the microphone. Please explain to me what your proposal is to be able to incorporate the microphone, specifically what are the materials to be used?
Connect the ground of the 2 wire mic to the ground from the camera. Connect the other wire from the mic to the audio in from the camera. If that does not work, convert the 36v to 12v with something like this.

Then convert the audio in and ground to rca with something like this.

Robertomcat

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Connect the ground of the 2 wire mic to the ground from the camera. Connect the other wire from the mic to the audio in from the camera. If that does not work, convert the 36v to 12v with something like this.
What I will do is to test a desktop computer microphone that I have abandoned for many years, to see if it works without any power supply. In the case of using power, it would be too bulky because the camera and the junction box will be attached to a mast completely outside, and I don't want to put a very big junction box either.

Let's see if I can test it tomorrow morning, and I'll comment it here. Thank you very much for your suggestions.

JDreaming

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
What I will do is to test a desktop computer microphone that I have abandoned for many years, to see if it works without any power supply. In the case of using power, it would be too bulky because the camera and the junction box will be attached to a mast completely outside, and I don't want to put a very big junction box either.

Let's see if I can test it tomorrow morning, and I'll comment it here. Thank you very much for your suggestions.
Yeah, It will be nice to be able to connect security cameras with no built in Mic and speaker to external microphone and speaker without additional power supply.:)

Robertomcat

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Well, I have connected a microphone, and it doesn't work, so I understand that it will have to have its own power supply. I've connected the microphone to the audio in and ground, and I've tried changing the position of the cables in case it wasn't connected properly, and I haven't been able to hear anything on the computer (I've activated the audio on the camera).

So I put a heat shrink to all the small cables that I don't have to use, so that there was no cable in contact with another one and I left it ready for the junction box.

Robertomcat

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Either you may not have connected the microphone properly, or the microphone you connected (from a PC) was not the right one. This microphone I tested had absolutely thin, almost unmanipulable cables.

I don't know if they would be compatible with the three cables that the camera has: audio in, audio on and ground. Any suggestions to try again?

Fastb

Known around here
Reaction score
For external mic, @looney2ns provided a great link. It's a long thread, but lotsa info, esp on how to use a poe splitter to provide power for a mic.

This mic is great.
I've had two outdoors for about 4 yrs now, under the soffit and no issue's.
Bullet Mic Review | IP Cam Talk
Regarding the connections, bare wire (without connectors) is actually nice in some installations. If using a mounting box of some kind, where space is really limited, connectors take up a lot of space. The poe splitter needs room, so not having bulky audio connectors has benefits.

The ipcamtalk wiki has an informative section on ways to hook up mics.
This is another great source: How-To: Audio Inputs
Lots of info from legendary nayr...

Fastb