Dahua ONVIF authentication errors (particularly with Blue Iris)

carteriii

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
For several months now I have noticed many thousands of errors per camera in the Blue Iris log such as:

Code:
1 6/19/2023 12:00:08.009 AM office-door Events: subscription 8000ffff
1 6/19/2023 12:00:08.685 AM paseo-cardero Events: subscription 8000ffff
1 6/19/2023 12:00:09.819 AM gate Events: subscription 8000ffff
Searching these forums turns up several other threads in which various people have experienced this same problem. In particular, there are two threads with responses by @wittaj saying, "Many have found that this camera will not work properly in BI unless a factory reset was done first then added to BI." and "It is an issue where the camera and BI are having "handshake" issues and thinks that there is a problem, when there isn't." Here are the two other threads for reference:

For what it's worth, this is happening to me on most all of my cameras, from PTZ's such as SD5A425XA-HNR and PTZ1A225-HNR-XA, to the popular IPC-T5442T-ZE, as well as on dual lens IPC-HDBW5441F-AS-E2, and even on older models such as the IPC-HDW4831EM-ASE. In addition to the Blue Iris log entries, I have noticed that some PTZ control no longer works. All of these errors go away if I turn off the ONVIF authentication in the camera (found under Network->Access Platform->ONVIF). I am running a 2022 version of firmware on all these cameras that have problems. The PTZ cameras are running with firmware dated 2022-08-04 and the T5422T-ZE is running firmware dated 2022-02-18, the 5441F-AS-E2 firmware is dated 2022-06-29, and the 4831EM-ASE is running firmware dated 2022-12-20.

Ken/Blue Iris said he tested and sees authentication failures. He also used the ODM ONVIF device manager to test a connection to the cameras, which failed to authenticate, implying that it's not simply a Blue Iris bug. This leads me to believe that the current versions of Dahua firmware, across models, changed something about the ONVIF authentication in 2022.

Do others (particularly you, @wittaj ) believe this is a Dahua bug, or perhaps some newer version of ONVIF or ???

@EMPIRETECANDY , are you aware of this? Would you please discuss this with Dahua? I haven't personally used the ONVIF tool that Ken used (link above), but assuming it also fails, this should be pretty easy for the Dahua engineers to test.

IAmATeaf

Known around here
Reaction score
Does disabling ONVIF authentication not resolve the issue? When I tested a release with these feature disabling that setting stopped the BI errors and allowed the cams to work as they previously had.

carteriii

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Does disabling ONVIF authentication not resolve the issue? When I tested a release with these feature disabling that setting stopped the BI errors and allowed the cams to work as they previously had.
Yes, you're absolutely right. Disabling the authentication eliminates the errors in the logs and everything keeps working. I should have mentioned that in my first post above. I'm just trying to make the situation better since it appears to be a regression and making our cameras less secure is never a good idea, even if behind a firewall.