Dahua NVR5216-4KS2 V2or V1 and HDMI issue

PaulH

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi,

I've been researching NVR's and cameras for a couple of months now using this forum as it's full of excellent information. Finally decided on the NVR, ordered from one of the suppliers recommended here, and the unit arrived quite quickly yesterday.

I ordered the V2 model but on opening the unit have found the label listing it as NVR5216-4KS2 but no mention of V2. Contacted the supplier who tells me V1 stopped being produced 3-4 months ago, so the unit I had would have to be V2. Only problem is the build date is listed as Dec. 2017...

So, anyone who has recently ordered this V2 unit - does the label on yours mention V2 anywhere? I'm thinking I've received old stock. How does one tell V2 from V1?

I also connected it to my TV (2 infact) via HDMI, but don't get anything appearing unless I connect using VGA cable, which then allows me to go through setup - which I've done, but still doesn't show anything via HDMI. Maybe i'm missing something but would have thought you could use either?

Paul

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Welcome Paul,

Happy 4th. I have the older version and have not used the HDMI so I have limited info at this time. Hopefully others have more info to help out.

PaulH

n3wb
Reaction score
Thanks Mat, Happy 4th to you too.

Solved the HDMI issue, not sure how but working now. I think it only displays via HDMI when a camera is attached and setup, which can only be done initially through the VGA setting...maybe. I also heard back from the supplier - Andy from Empiretech on aliexpress who is very helpful, even arranged for someone local to call me. Awesome service I must say.

Pmedicj

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I just bought one from Andy a couple months ago and my box has V2 labeled on it. I also bought the branded equip from him if that makes any difference.
My HDMI worked when connected without cameras. I made a mistake and changed the resolution to a higher one and nothing would display. Did a hard reset and the original resolution and hdmi came back.
If you connect it to VGA there may be a setting you can switch HDMI on if it is off by some chance.

PaulH

n3wb
Reaction score
I just bought one from Andy a couple months ago and my box has V2 labeled on it. I also bought the branded equip from him if that makes any difference.
My HDMI worked when connected without cameras. I made a mistake and changed the resolution to a higher one and nothing would display. Did a hard reset and the original resolution and hdmi came back.
If you connect it to VGA there may be a setting you can switch HDMI on if it is off by some chance.
Thanks Pmedicij,
Yeah it's odd mine not labelled as v2 but I received the unbranded version. I checked the differences between versions and I think mine is V2 as it has people counting functionality in the setup menus whereas I think V1 wouldn't.

MixManSC

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I have a Lorex branded one (NVR5216-16P-4KS2) cross flashed to Dahua firmware and it has People Counting. I think that is a function in the newer firmware. As far as I know mine (and I'm pretty confident) is a "v1" but I honestly have no idea what exactly the differences are or how to definitively tell for sure if it is a v1 or a v2. Particularly since mine was Lorex branded. The best I've been able to tell is the v2 models with built in ports is that the ports are now ePOE instead of regular POE.

According the the Dahua Wiki pages there is supposed to be an A or a B in the first part of the model number with A being v1 and B being v2. However if you search for (for example) NVR42A08 or NVR4208 you gets tons of hits but if you search for NVR42B08 you pretty much get nothing. :confused: So it appears to me that they never actually produced any "v2" machines using the old naming convention as you cannot find any of the models using the old naming convention with a B in the first part of the name.

On the same Wiki page they show several model naming conventions... USA/NVR/ - Dahua Wiki ALL of them show having a letter in the first part of the model name and any with NVRXXXX are the "old" model naming convention. All of those model naming convention images on the Wiki site were uploaded to the site last year (most in July 2017).

My guess is we are confusing v1/v2 which according to the Wiki images should be an A or B in the first part of the model name with Generation 1 and Generation 2 which according to the Wiki is the very last bit of the old model naming of nothing or S2. From what I am seeing is v2 or Version 2 are only the very newest ones which will only have the newer naming convention like N42B2P.

Old_NVR_LP_naming_rule.JPG

PaulH

n3wb
Reaction score
Thanks, comprehensive reply. I'll have to check my model number, the box itself just has serial number only so not sure where the model number is found, maybe in the software setup screens? Pity there's not a Dahua reference between serial and model numbers.

Its funny how the have DNA Gen as 1 or 2 referenced as a or b, but then list s2 as generation 2. So there's generation and DNA generation...makes it very confusing unless I'm missing something. I really just wanted to make sure I got what I paid for and had the latest 'updated' model, but that could just mean updated firmware, or there could have been hardware updates as well, probably impossible to find out at consumer level.

PaulH

n3wb
Reaction score
My model is just NVR5216-4KS2 as per the listing on aliexpress, it has no A or B for generation so I would have thought there should still be a v1 or v2 showing somewhere if that's what they are being advertised as.

Last edited:

MixManSC

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
But what IS a V2? Everything from Dahua states there is a DNA Gen (A or B) and a Generation (S2).

I've bought from Andy as well and will continue to do so but I think he is the only one who can clarify this. There are 2 listings in the Empire Tech store on Aliexpress and the only difference is $4.75 in cost and V2 in the title. The specs and descriptions are identical otherwise.
Aliexpress.com : Buy NVR5216 4KS2 16 Channel 1U 4K&H.265 Pro Network Video Recorder NVR5216 4KS2 free DHL shipping from Reliable Surveillance Video Recorder suppliers on Empire Technology Co., Ltd
Aliexpress.com : Buy NVR5216 4KS2 V2 16 Channel 1U 4K&H.265 Pro Network Video Recorder NVR5216 4KS2 V2 free DHL shipping from Reliable Surveillance Video Recorder suppliers on Empire Technology Co., Ltd

I have no idea what V2 means to be honest. The only thing I can think is S2 as in 4KS2.

There IS a newer version but Dahua is changing the model naming on those. USA/NVR/ - Dahua Wiki
Some of the new ones do now show the letter in the first part A or B. It seems that all of the ones using the old naming convention now have the A in there as well as some of the new naming convention ones are available on both A or B. The new naming convention also does away with "Generation" at the end so there is is no more 4KS2.