Dahua NVR5216-4KS2 / NVR5216-16P-4KS2

K175un3

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Sort of getting there more now, dammed Windows 10 IE is awful. Had to adjust security settings as video window was across options.

Any good ideas on shutter speed please folks? Have a range of 0 to 40 Ms to play with.

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
Make all image settings/exposure etc on the camera itself. Dont use the NVR for that.

What camera model is that? Try using IE. Should look like below:

Set Iframe to match FPS

Camera-Exposure.jpg

K175un3

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Bigredfish, I did finally get options showing up for the cams with IE in Win 10. Just had to change the security settings to custom minimum, so not safe for web browsing.

But I thinking that you can go less than 1/60 in daylight.

But are the day and night settings auto switching and independent of each other? Sorry to ask, but I'm really wanting to tweak the bejesus out of what I've got and I'm not going to learn if I don't ask questions.

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
Auto will probably even work fine if you have enough light. You’ll need to play with it.

yes day night are independent.

you should read up in the forum as well

K175un3

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I've been looking for various resources bigredfish, got the .PDF manuals and most things. But some things are a dark art at the moment to me and are barely covered in technical documents, when it would be nice if they even had a small paragraph on them instead of a single sentence.

But I'll get it sussed, eventually.

And thanks for clearing up that day and night mode settings are independent of each other, and they automatically switch modes and use the settings applied. As no mention of that in Dahua technical documents whatsoever.

One thing I have learned with the NVR54**-4KS2E range of NVR's is that you can input an IP of your choice with cameras. Just unplug cam and then you can alter the IP, then plug back in and enjoy.

Yet again, no mention in Dahua technical documents.

But I'm loving the quality though, would certainly recommend Dahua to folks needing a CCTV solution.

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
On the switching Day/Night profiles, look at the tab on "Conditions" that say "Profile Management. Various choices. This is what determines the day/night switch

K175un3

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Sorry, back again with another query.

Can you set Motion Detection with Constant Recording? I have tried to enable both with 0 seconds prerecord and don't seem to be having much luck.

I'm sure I'm missing something, so any help will be appreciated. Even if it's to tell me no, you can't do that. NVR says no.

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
Not sure I understand the question. I record Full time plus motion yes you can do that. I don’t use plain MD for most I use IVS rules like Tripwire but yes you can record both.

In the Storage tabs /Schedule make sure you have both set to record

K175un3

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Thanks for the reply bigredfish, I've tried Enabling Constant & MD (0 seconds prerecord) to no avail. Yet!

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I am having a skipped frame issue when motion is triggered but I don't have my NVR hooked up yet.

Right now I am recording to a SD card in the camera and playing back from the camera GUI is giving me skipped frame issue.

It may not be the NVR but the camera itself
I figured this would be the best place to ask my question as this is the NVR I have been directed towards and many of the members I have used info they posted on this forum that helped me setup my system are on this thread.

But first some background.

I have had analog cams for years and have been workhorses and never had issues with recording motion, sending emails, etc. But we all know the limitations and when we had an incident in the neighborhood back in April, of course I pull up the footage and it is all B/W because it is middle of the night, so you can't make out a lot of features, but it captured for what it is worth.

So I decided I wanted to add an IP cam or two to supplement and over the past year and thanks to all the great advice found on this forum and the contributions of the members, I have since purchased 3 different models of "Andy cams" and love the ability to customize it and set it up for unique situations like LPR.

We had another incident around Christmas and one of my neighbors asked if I got the plates, but sure enough it was long overwritten on the SD card. So I reached out to Andy this month for a recommendation for an NVR because I think it is to the point that I should start the migration from analog to digital. He suggested this NVR.

So I have been doing all the research on this forum on the NVR and my neighbor had an issue over the weekend and I go to pull the LPR video and similar to the post I quoted, it skipped 8 seconds of the recording, so we see lightshine of the car approaching and then the video skips 8 seconds and when the video clip resumes the car is gone. Frustrating as can be.

I did searches on the forum and found ways to try to prevent that - reduce FPS, H.264, turn off substream, etc. Most of which I had already done but the problem still persists. And it is random - not all the time. I thought maybe it was a playback issue going thru the CAT5 and switch, but I downloaded the file off the SD card and it still skipped.

So now, I have serious concerns about switching over from my analog to digital. That whole analog system was cheaper than this NVR and is a workhorse and never skips a recording.

So my question is - has this NVR got all the bugs out that it will record motion properly?. I would prefer to not do the 24/7 recording and rely on motion detection simply to keep a longer history. Does anyone else experience this issue with the SD card?

Last edited:

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
Are you recording motion AND full time? You should. That’s likely your problem.

I have installed probably a dozen various Dahua NVR’s and don’t have a problem with missing any recordings.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Are you recording motion AND full time? You should. That’s likely your problem.

I have installed probably a dozen various Dahua NVR’s and don’t have a problem with missing any recordings.
I am recording motion detection full time (but not recording 24/7) recordings to the SD card and it skips, so you can see my hesitancy on if the camera unit cannot do it all local, will an NVR be able to keep up?

Last edited:

civic17

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Can not rely on motion detection to be 100% accurate. On any camera, any brand.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Can not rely on motion detection to be 100% accurate. On any camera, any brand.
It doesn't miss the event, it starts recording and then skips anywhere from 4-12 seconds and then finishes the recording for that event. But in the 4 seconds it skips you miss what triggered the motion.

Are you saying moving to IVS would eliminate a recording skipping over missing seconds in it's video?

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
The NVR will work fine. You can try IVS but I kinda doubt thats the problem.

Standard MD has many drawbacks with false alarms, but it works just fine on a number of systems I have installed if you're willing to put in the time to tweek it. and have reasonable expectations.. IVS isnt 100% bulletproof either, but it does cut down on false alarms in many cases.

Wildcat_1

Known around here
Reaction score
You say it skips, as in recordings to the card ? That can be a trait of the wrong SD card for starters. What are you using ? Remember when no NVR is present the cam is having to handle everything with its only option to offload being its RAM buffer and SD card storage. You mention the skips are random, anything common to them though, high speed traffic, night only etc ? How is the camera's FOV setup, are you so tight you'll capture 1-2 frames before target has left screen or is this a wider shot with ability for the cam to target and capture over a period of frames ?

Definitely tell us the card you are using, remember not all SD cards are created equal. Only a few really work well with surveillance cams, Samsung Pro Endurance for example are great for these cams but others that may seem to offer the benefit of faster write speeds are not.

As @bigredfish and others point out neither IVS or MD are 100% however they allow you to dial in your capture requirements to ensure that very few 'real' triggers are missed. AI cams take this one step further with object filtering ensuring that all the stuff you're not interested in (leaves etc) are not captured while the important ones are. Definitely take time to tweak the image and the triggers, its very necessary and will take your captures from mediocre or even missed events to crisp, usable footage.

Now onto the NVR, remember what I mentioned above about offload, when doing this all on cam you are taxing the cam (this is before you also try and playback while its potentially actively still monitoring new events). Connecting / offloading to an NVR allows it to do the heavy lifting and any related processing from the stream provided by the cam itself so please don't think if you see a missed frame here or there, or missed event on cam that the NVR will do the same. Thats not to say that newer cams don't have better SOC's increased RAM and ROM that can help process quicker but being able to offload to a standalone NVR or NVR platform (BI) is always a step up. Like @bigredfish I've used and installed many Dahua NVR's and currently have a 5216 in rotation running 4.0. Great NVR, very capable even when I hit it with a number of AI cams for ANPR, Face Detection & Recognition, Object Filtering etc, doesn't miss a beat.

On the cam front, unless I missed it (which I may have) also list which ones you purchased. I certainly wouldn't lower FPS, remove sub streams and generally downgrade your captures yet. Using H264H thats not a problem but hold off all the other changes for now.

HTH

I am recording motion detection full time (but not recording 24/7) recordings to the SD card and it skips, so you can see my hesitancy on if the camera unit cannot do it all local, will an NVR be able to keep up?

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
You say it skips, as in recordings to the card ? That can be a trait of the wrong SD card for starters. What are you using ? Remember when no NVR is present the cam is having to handle everything with its only option to offload being its RAM buffer and SD card storage. You mention the skips are random, anything common to them though, high speed traffic, night only etc ? How is the camera's FOV setup, are you so tight you'll capture 1-2 frames before target has left screen or is this a wider shot with ability for the cam to target and capture over a period of frames ?

Definitely tell us the card you are using, remember not all SD cards are created equal. Only a few really work well with surveillance cams, Samsung Pro Endurance for example are great for these cams but others that may seem to offer the benefit of faster write speeds are not.

As @bigredfish and others point out neither IVS or MD are 100% however they allow you to dial in your capture requirements to ensure that very few 'real' triggers are missed. AI cams take this one step further with object filtering ensuring that all the stuff you're not interested in (leaves etc) are not captured while the important ones are. Definitely take time to tweak the image and the triggers, its very necessary and will take your captures from mediocre or even missed events to crisp, usable footage.

Now onto the NVR, remember what I mentioned above about offload, when doing this all on cam you are taxing the cam (this is before you also try and playback while its potentially actively still monitoring new events). Connecting / offloading to an NVR allows it to do the heavy lifting and any related processing from the stream provided by the cam itself so please don't think if you see a missed frame here or there, or missed event on cam that the NVR will do the same. Thats not to say that newer cams don't have better SOC's increased RAM and ROM that can help process quicker but being able to offload to a standalone NVR or NVR platform (BI) is always a step up. Like @bigredfish I've used and installed many Dahua NVR's and currently have a 5216 in rotation running 4.0. Great NVR, very capable even when I hit it with a number of AI cams for ANPR, Face Detection & Recognition, Object Filtering etc, doesn't miss a beat.

On the cam front, unless I missed it (which I may have) also list which ones you purchased. I certainly wouldn't lower FPS, remove sub streams and generally downgrade your captures yet. Using H264H thats not a problem but hold off all the other changes for now.

HTH
Thanks everyone for the responses!

Here are my 3 EmpireTech Andy cams:
  • IPC-HDBW4231F-E2-M
  • IPC-HDW5231R-ZE IP
  • IPC-HFW5231E-Z12E
Each camera has the Samsung 128GB 100MB/s (U3) MicroSDXC EVO Select SD Card installed.

Each camera is powered by their own POE+ injector and are not connected to the internet until I connect the ethernet cable from the switch to the router to view them in IE, so I know they are not being taxed in any other way. The motion detection seems to be working fine - I am not missing any "events" that triggered the motion detection to record and is only catching the events I want to record, but I get several recordings per day where on play back it will skip anywhere from 6-8 seconds or more of the clip.

For example, the clip will show the recording event is from 12:23:35 to 12:23:50 and when it plays back it will start out at 12:23:35 and you watch it tick up a couple seconds then jumps from 12:23:38 to 12:23:45 (thus missing 12:23:38 to 12:12:23:44) before arriving at 12:23:45 and finish playing to 12:23:50, thus missing the entire vehicle within that clip. Even downloading the clip to the computer hard drive and it still skips.

The Z12E FOV is such that the vehicle is in the frame for at least 8 frames and it is set to 8 FPS. The ZE is set to 10 FPS and the vehicle is in the frame for 12 frames. The E2 is a fixed lens so its FOV is large and objects stay in its view for awhile.

The skipping isn't consistent. Sometimes the skipped frames will be after a vehicle hasn't passed for several hours (both day and night) and sometimes it is the back end of a long recording after 3-4 vehicles pass within the same event.

I was under the impression that one of the benefits of IPC was that the cam did the heavy lifting and not the NVR - it sounds like that is wrong information? So the NVR could record and capture without missing frames even if the SD Card does?

msnow

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I was under the impression that one of the benefits of IPC was that the cam did the heavy lifting and not the NVR - it sounds like that is wrong information? So the NVR could record and capture without missing frames even if the SD Card does?
I would characterize it this way - The camera is most efficient processing the image and motion while the NVR is more efficient capturing the recordings of multiple cameras with multiple streams.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk