Dahua NVR5216-4KS2 / NVR5216-16P-4KS2

Reaction score
Thank you very much for this post. Do you think the 5416-16P-4KS2E also uses the same fan?
I would be surprised if they weren't the same, since the specs between the 5216 and 5416 are so close.

Is it possible to get a variable speed fan? One that blows more when it's hotter, and less when it's colder?

For example, my temperature controller for my smoker is a variable speed fan. Depending on how close the temperature is to my desired temperature, it will blow at different speeds. If it's well below the desired temperature, it will blow at full speed.

Updated: This NVR does have a "smart fan" setup. As internal (CPU) temperature rises the case fan RPM increases. When I was testing with just one camera hooked up the CPU temperature sat around 50C and the case reported 3800RPMs on the fan. You can also manually force the case fan to "Full-Speed" from the default "Self-adaptation" in the settings, doing this with the same one camera attached reported 7500RPMs (noticeably louder, with a whine). Even after running for about 10 minutes at the forced "Full-speed" setting the CPU temperature didn't drop any lower than 47C. Room temperature during this test was about 72F/22C. Upon initial bootup of NVR from cold the CPU reported 35C and quickly (within a minute) rose to 45C, then with the factory fans in use the CPU seemed to hover around 50C-52C with the one POE camera connected.

Are you going to make the switch?
I will test again in a couple days when I get it setup with 9 - IPC-HDW5231R-ZE. I will see what kind of temps are seen then for the CPU and if they don't climb much higher I may try swapping the fans for some quiet ones. I should also point out with just one camera connected the CPU was only reporting 1% usage and it was still within 5C of the recommended max operating temperature of the NVR of 55C. So there isn't much temperature room to play with.

NVR5216-16P-4KS2E-05.jpg

Last edited:

nuraman00

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I would be surprised if they weren't the same, since the specs between the 5216 and 5416 are so close.

This NVR does have a "smart fan" setup. As internal (CPU) temperature rises both fan RPMs increase. When I was testing with just one camera hooked up the CPU temperature sat around 50C and reported 3800RPMs (of the max 8500RPMs available) on the fan. You can also manually force the fans to "Full-Speed" from the default "Self-adaptation" in the settings, doing this with the same one camera attached reported 7500RPMs (noticeably louder). I assume because of the RPM limitations of the fans installed, the RPMs reported must be coming from the power supply fan. Even after running about 10 minutes at the forced "Full-speed" setting the temperature didn't drop any lower than 47C. Room temperature during this test was about 72F/22C. Upon initial bootup of NVR from cold the CPU reported 45C.

I will test again in a couple days when I get it setup with 9 - IPC-HDW5231R-ZE. I will see what kind of temps are seen then for the CPU and if they don't climb much higher I may try swapping the fans for some quiet ones. I should also point out with just one camera connected the CPU was only reporting 1% usage and it was still within 5C of the recommended max operating temperature of the NVR of 55C. So there isn't much temperature room to play with.

View attachment 34052
Thanks. I seem to have a similar set up to you. I have 8 of those same cameras, and the 5416 NVR. I just got it installed 3 weeks ago.

How come I don't have a "status" under System? Under System, I have General; Display; RS232; PTZ; Broadcast; Voice Prompt; Account; Security; Auto Maintenance; IMP/EXP; Default; and Upgrade.

Oooh, now I see. There's another System under Info on from the main menu.

My current fan speed is 1380; Internal temp is 47 degrees C, and CPU usage is 40%.

Can I change the temperature to Fahrenheit? What's the max recommended temperature under Fahrenheit?

How much power does your NVR use? According to my backup battery UPS, it uses about 59 watts (PoE cameras use about 24 Watts combined) during the day. At night, it uses about 71 - 72 Watts (PoE cameras use 37 - 38 Watts).

BTW, is it possible to see the fan speed and PoE power used via the Web Service? I can only find those directly through the NVR's menus.

nuraman00

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Even after running about 10 minutes at the forced "Full-speed" setting the temperature didn't drop any lower than 47C.
I guess I would also see if the temperature raised much when the fans were at slower speeds.

I also wish I had some internal temperature data from during summer, when it would be the hottest. Nothing I can do about it now, since I just got the system installed. But it would help to know how hot the unit got at high temperatures.

So I can take that into account before switching to slower and quieter fans.

Wow, even 47 degrees Celsius is 116 Fahrenheit.

nuraman00

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
My NVR5216-16P-4KS2E arrived today and here are the specs on the 2 fans installed:

Factory Power Supply Fan: Delta Model EFB0412HHD is a 40x40x20 12v fan, 2pin connector - .1A / 1.2W / 8200RPM / 9.43CFM / 30.5dB
Factory Case Fan: Sunon EF40101B1-1Q08C-S99 is a 40x40x10 12v fan, 4 pin connector - could not find full specs

Below is the specs on the replacement power supply fan model I've seen mentioned some here were using:
Natua NF-A4x20 FLX is a 40x40x20 12v fan - .05A / .6W / 5000RPM / 5.53CFM / 14.9dB - Amazon $14.99

So compared to the factory power supply fan the above Natua fan uses about 1/2 the power and produces about 1/2 the decibels but also moves about 40% less air. Pretty sure that may not be an acceptable trade-off, especially if there is a warranty still in play. It appears to be about the closest you are going to get spec wise for a "quiet fan" though.

The 10mm Natua fan (same size as case fan) specs are:
Natua NF-A4x10 FLX is a 40x40x10 12v fan - .05A / .6W / 4500RPM / 4.83CFM / 17.9dB - Amazon $13.95

View attachment 34048 View attachment 34049 View attachment 34050 View attachment 34051
I just read your post again. I see you described 2 fans.

So do you think the PSU fan, or the case fan, is the loudest? Did you choose to get a replacement PSU fan, because that was the one you had the full specs for, so you could then make a better comparison when trying a new fan?

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.
Reaction score
I just read your post again. I see you described 2 fans.

So do you think the PSU fan, or the case fan, is the loudest? Did you choose to get a replacement PSU fan, because that was the one you had the full specs for, so you could then make a better comparison when trying a new fan?
The case fan seems to be the one that causes a "whine" when at high speed. For me I'm going with the stock fans for now.

Edit - additional info:

Here are the decibel readings I get from the NVR5216-16P-4KS2E with stock fans from 6", 2', 6' away respectively.

Fan set at "Self-adaptation" running about 3800RPM: 50.0dB, 44.0dB, 40.0dB
Fan set at "Full-speed" running about 7500RPM: 55.0dB, 50.0dB, 44.0dB

Last edited:

nuraman00

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
How did you get the decibel readings?

I tried measuring the noise from a digital audio recorder I have, but I couldn't figure out a good place to place the recorder. Especially since I have other devices near the NVR too.

So even if the PSU is rated at 30.5 dB, you think the case fan is what's causing the 50/44/40 dB readings?

Also, do you know if it's possible to see the fan speed, or power consumption for the PoE, from the web interface? I know how to find them on the direct interface. I was just hoping I could see it on the web interface too.

bigoliver

Young grasshopper
Reaction score

I tried measuring the noise from a digital audio recorder I have, but I couldn't figure out a good place to place the recorder. Especially since I have other devices near the NVR too.

So even if the PSU is rated at 30.5 dB, you think the case fan is what's causing the 50/44/40 dB readings?

Also, do you know if it's possible to see the fan speed, or power consumption for the PoE, from the web interface? I know how to find them on the direct interface. I was just hoping I could see it on the web interface too.
I also have an issue with noise, but on a NVR5432-4KS2 this is not POE but does have an internal, noisy power suplly fan. I thought we might be better able to problem solve the issue together...

Noisy Dahua NVR5432-4KS2 Sound proofing ideas, Fan upgrade, Reduce fan speed

Reaction score
Just used my iPhone with "Decibel X" app. I'm sure it's not perfect but it's good enough for what I needed.

The room I tested in was pretty quiet, ambient sound was 40-41dB. Which is considered a "quiet room". I just measured from directly in front of the NVR @ 6", 2' and 6'. There was minimal other equipment around reducing echoing affect off other devices and walls. There was a laptop (with fan running) about 10 ft away. It was far from scientific but the numbers gave me what I needed as a baseline if I decide to go about swapping fans in the future. Just know that the dB readings published for fans has little to do with their final dB reading once installed in a piece of equipment. You can use the published readings for fans to compare them to each other, but the final noise levels once installed will be significantly different.

You can also see my noise readings above from 6' away using the "Self-adaptation" fan setting was 40.0dB. This was the same as I was getting from the ambient room itself with the NVR off. This means, from my observation, at 6' or greater the NVR was indistinguishable from the ambient room noise itself. Again keep in mind the case fan speed at the time was approximately 3700RPM, due to a combination of factors - one being only one POE camera attached and another being the ambient room temp was a pretty low 72F.

Fans are rated/tested outside of any case, so as soon as you mount them in something their decibel ratings are going to go up. In some cases they will go up significantly.

I'm pretty sure the web interface does not yet have access to fan settings in it.

nuraman00

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I also have an issue with noise, but on a NVR5432-4KS2 this is not POE but does have an internal, noisy power suplly fan. I thought we might be better able to problem solve the issue together...

Noisy Dahua NVR5432-4KS2 Sound proofing ideas, Fan upgrade, Reduce fan speed
Thanks. I have not read through that thread yet. I scanned it.

I'll read through it more carefully in a few days.

Just used my iPhone with "Decibel X" app. I'm sure it's not perfect but it's good enough for what I needed.

The room I tested in was pretty quiet, ambient sound was 40-41dB. Which is considered a "quiet room". I just measured from directly in front of the NVR @ 6", 2' and 6'. There was minimal other equipment around reducing echoing affect off other devices and walls. There was a laptop (with fan running) about 10 ft away. It was far from scientific but the numbers gave me what I needed as a baseline if I decide to go about swapping fans in the future. Just know that the dB readings published for fans has little to do with their final dB reading once installed in a piece of equipment. You can use the published readings for fans to compare them to each other, but the final noise levels once installed will be significantly different.

You can also see my noise readings above from 6' away using the "Self-adaptation" fan setting was 40.0dB. This was the same as I was getting from the ambient room itself with the NVR off. This means, from my observation, at 6' or greater the NVR was indistinguishable from the ambient room noise itself. Again keep in mind the case fan speed at the time was approximately 3700RPM, due to a combination of factors - one being only one POE camera attached and another being the ambient room temp was a pretty low 72F.

Fans are rated/tested outside of any case, so as soon as you mount them in something their decibel ratings are going to go up. In some cases they will go up significantly.

I'm pretty sure the web interface does not yet have access to fan settings in it.
Thanks. I'll try Decibel X and report my findings.

When you said ambient sound was 40 - 41 dB, was that before or after powering on the NVR?

I'm a little disappointed that I couldn't find a good way to use my digital audio recorder to measure the dB levels. I mean, I look at the dB levels when I'm actually recording something, and it's helpful then.

Part of the issue was that I couldn't find a way to place it near the NVR, but still read the levels. I guess I could actually record the noise, then play it back to see what the levels were.

But something about the physical logistics of this was giving me trouble.

There's a chance I have the same problem with the phone app. I guess we'll see.

It might take me a few days, but I'll definitely try this and report back.

Actually, now I think I know what the problem is. I think I'm not reading the levels properly on the recorder. The lowest level I see is -48dB. But the manufacturer specs say that the recorder is rated up to 120 dB. So going from the lowest level, at -48, to the highest, at 0, corresponds to 120 dB. I think I have to convert -48 to 0 into a 120 dB scale or something.

So when I said earlier that I couldn't find a good way to use the digital recorder, what I mean is that I tried it, but the levels seemed too low. The numbers weren't making sense.

But now that I think about it, I think I have to convert it to another scale or range, for it to make sense.

nuraman00

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
The case fan seems to be the one that causes a "whine" when at high speed. For me I'm going with the stock fans for now.

Edit - additional info:

Here are the decibel readings I get from the NVR5216-16P-4KS2E with stock fans from 6", 2', 6' away respectively.

Fan set at "Self-adaptation" running about 3800RPM: 50.0dB, 44.0dB, 40.0dB
Fan set at "Full-speed" running about 7500RPM: 55.0dB, 50.0dB, 44.0dB
I just installed the Decibel-X app. Here are my findings, using the current reading (not the average):

CPU Temp: 46 degrees Celsius
RPM, Self-Adaptation Mode: Between 1380 - 1410 RPM

From across the room: 60 dB
If placed on top of the NVR, in the front: 74 dB
If placed on top of the NVR, but in the back (near where the fan is): 84 dB

I don't remember anymore if this was before or after I turned on my desktop, as that could have affected the noise too. The desktop is only a few feet away from the NVR.

I'll check the readings again tomorrow morning when my desktop is in hibernate.

nuraman00

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I checked the readings again. This time the desktop was off, and only the NVR was on.

From across the room: 58 dB
If placed on top of the NVR, in the front: 72 dB
If placed on top of the NVR, but in the back (near where the fan is): 82 dB

However, I then went upstairs to a quiet room. Even that produced 55 dB.

I don't know how much I trust this app now. I'll try another one later.

bigoliver

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I checked the readings again. This time the desktop was off, and only the NVR was on.

From across the room: 58 dB
If placed on top of the NVR, in the front: 72 dB
If placed on top of the NVR, but in the back (near where the fan is): 82 dB

However, I then went upstairs to a quiet room. Even that produced 55 dB.

I don't know how much I trust this app now. I'll try another one later.
I used Sound Meter on Android.
Here is the link...
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=app.tools.soundmeter.decibel.noisedetector

The top app in the picture...
Screenshot_2018-10-22-20-50-53.png

nuraman00

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I used Sound Meter on Android.
Here is the link...
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=app.tools.soundmeter.decibel.noisedetector

The top app in the picture...
View attachment 34392

I accidentally installed the last one in your picture, before realizing it was the wrong one.

Here are the results for both:

Sound Meter by melon soft:

Quiet Room: 24 dB
From across the room with the NVR: 32 dB
If placed on top of the NVR, in the front: 46 dB
If placed on top of the NVR, but in the back (near where the fan is): 56 dB

Sound Meter by Tools Dev:

Quiet Room: 42 dB
From across the room with the NVR: 43 dB
If placed on top of the NVR, in the front: 56 dB
If placed on top of the NVR, but in the back (near where the fan is): 65 dB

With 3 different readings from 3 different apps, what am I supposed to believe?

These last 2 apps seem more believable than Decibel X.

Why is there so much variation?

nuraman00

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
@bzcomputers, @bigoliver, any idea on why there's so much variation with the decibel apps? 3 different apps, 3 readings. There is about a 26-30 dB difference in readings across the 3 apps, for each distance that I tried.

What can I do to get a more confident reading?

nuraman00

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

nuraman00

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Well I actually have a real one, in my Zoom H2N audio recorder. I wasn't sure how to read it, in this situation, though, because the max is at 0, and anything less is a negative dB.

Perhaps I should take the difference from 0 then, instead of reading it from left to right. Or I can contact Zoom, and ask for the best way to read the sound levels.

Normally when I use it, I look at the sound levels when I'm recording just to make sure it's less than the max. I haven't tried to determine an exact reading before.

bigoliver

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
@bzcomputers, @bigoliver, any idea on why there's so much variation with the decibel apps? 3 different apps, 3 readings. There is about a 26-30 dB difference in readings across the 3 apps, for each distance that I tried.

What can I do to get a more confident reading?
The variation will be different between apps and phones. Without the hardware and software being perfectly tuned to each other it's only a guesstimate.

It was accurate for me to see if the new fan made an improvement. Admittedly it doesn't give an accurate estimate to the amount it has improved, but it is better than nothing.

I blew in the microphone holes on my phone to try and improve the accuracy. It's amazing the difference that can make to call volume.

psycik

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I've just bought a 2nd hand nvr-5216-4ks2.
Type: DHI-NVR5216-16P-4KS2
Record Channel:16
Alarm In:4
Alarm Out:2
SN:<redacted>
Web:3.2.3.1829
System Version:3.210.0002.0, Build Date: 2017-07-08

I understand there's a new firmware, but are unsure where the device was sourced from. I've seen all the warnings about only upgrade if you have a specific problem, and I do, I use the http api quite extensively and at the moment it seems to have real issues with my device: DHI-NVR5216-16P-4KS2 - HTPP API (web fw 3.2.3.1829) -No Snapshot.cgi function (can't call snapshot.cgi being the biggest problem).

How can I tell if my device is oem, international, or chinese with modfied firmware?