Dahua NVR5216-4KS2 & iDMSS

jhallett

n3wb
Reaction score
Hello - I am planning a home install of 6 cameras, likely IPC-HDW4231R-Z which will be supported by an NVR, likely DHI-NVR5216-4KS2. I want good monitoring from within the house network (ethernet cabled macs and wifi connected tablets). But I also want to have remote access to monitoring and IVS event alerts pushed to ios devices away from the house. Is the iDMSS app the best way to achieve the remote monitoring/alerts, or am I better off with other, 3rd party apps?

Appreciate any guidance on this,

Thanks,
James

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
iDMSS is the only way your getting push notifications unless you go w/a BlueIris NVR..

3rd party apps can only view live streams; they cant manage the NVR and playback recordings.

jhallett

n3wb
Reaction score
Thanks nayr - you led me to read a BI vs NVR thread which was very helpful. When you say a BlueIris NVR, am I correct in understanding that would be a PC running BI and there is no NVR out there yet which runs BI?

TheSuperServer

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
nayr how much a difference do u think it would make running blue iris off a 960 m.2 pro or a 960 m.2 evo? That's the only thing that will be running off the machine. With i7 7700k and 32gb. Storage will go to WD Purple.

aristobrat

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
But I also want to have remote access to monitoring and IVS event alerts pushed to ios devices away from the house.
If you're wanting to use IVS (or motion recording), you might want to check the tail end of this thread:
Dahua NVR5216-4KS2 / NVR5216-16P-4KS2

Some of us are having an issue where if a camera triggers IVS (or motion detect), the result when you to go view back the video is that it's glitchy and usually skips over 1-3 seconds (no matter if you're watching it directly on the NVR, or from one of the remote tools like SmartPSS or iDMSS).

nayr explained it as when IVS/motion is triggered on the camera, it causes the NVR to start recording to a new file. The specific way this NVR currently does this results in a skipped video (during playback) at the beginning and end of the clip. This doesn't happen for everyone, but there are a handful of folks seeing this. @nayr has a workaround for exporting the video that seems to work for him (where all of the video is viewable, no skipping), but that workaround didn't help on my system.

@EMPIRETECANDY has been helping with this, but he's been traveling for a bit, so waiting to resume that with him. Hoping a new firmware can fix this issue.

@nayr, did your previous Dahua NVR act the same way?

TheSuperServer

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I'm iDMSS do you add each camera individually or can u add the NVR and get them all at once?

aristobrat

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
This stumped me for awhile -- if you ever make any changes to your NVR (add/delete/rename cameras), they usually won't show up in iDMSS unless you go into Device Manager (on iDMSS), edit the NVR device (tap on it and click the pencil icon) and then click on Start Live Preview. It should then show any change you made.