Dahua NVR5216-16P-4KS2E - Need to update firmware to send email triggers - which one?

toolazyforalogin

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Hi,

I have a Dahua NVR5216-16P-4KS2E and have never updated the firmware - I'm currently using
System Version: 3.215.0000000.3
Build Date: 2017-12-11

For the last 4-5 years or so I have been using my own personal email server with camera triggers/alerts but with the prices increasing I really don't need my email server anymore. If my memory serves me correctly, the problem I'm going to run into is that most free email providers (hoping to use Gmail) now require ssl to be turned on to access via smtp server and this particular firmware version will not allow that to happen.

What is the version of the firmware I should be using when I attempt to upgrade this firmware? I'm pretty familiar with System 3 instead of the newer System 4 but I am having trouble finding the changelogs to figure out which firmware was the one that allowed emails for triggers to send.

Thank you for the help in finding this firmware.

I want to guess that 3.216.0000002.0.R.2018110 takes care of this issue but I'd prefer not to guess.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
It is probably still an issue with email even with a firmware update.

Try using GMAIL and create an app password and see if that works for you.

toolazyforalogin

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Thanks wittaj. I can try that but I'm fairly confident that it's not Gmail that will be my problem. I'm pretty sure it's an issue on Dahua's end that was fixed in a firmware that I never upgraded to.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Many people still had troubles even with the firmware update as email providers keep tightening their bot/spam algorithm. The app password is what got it going again.

I wouldn't risk updating the firmware of a working device until you have exhausted the other routes.

toolazyforalogin

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Okay just tried to app specific password but "test failed" as expected. I'll have to find the first firmware that fixed this issue.

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
I'm using this on that same NVR
I do have my own email server and just run on port 587

V4.002.0000000.3.R, Build Date: 2022-03-22

toolazyforalogin

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Thanks @bigredfish - - I'm wondering if I can go directly from 3.215.0000000.3 to that one. I thought I had to update to the original V4 first.

Also I have
HDW5231R-Z on firmware 2.622.0000000.18.R, Build Date: 2017-11-10
HDW5231R-ZE on firmware 2.460.0000.15.R, Build Date: 2017-09-07
IPC-K35A on firmware 2.400.0000000.16.R, Build Date: 2017-08-31

Andy thinks I may have to update these cameras to use the newer firmware on the NVR. I really don't want to have to unmount the cameras if they are not recognized after the update. Currently I just plugged them into the NVR and they were recognized and good to go. I'm considering updating them now while they are working to General_IPC-HX5X3X-Rhea_MultiLang_NP_Stream3_V2.800.0000018.0.R.210707.bin I tried to update my least necessary camera in case it bricks to this firmware using Pale Moon browser a few minutes ago but got an error message that the browser was preventing it from occurring. Not sure of the best way to update the cameras or if I should even attempt it. If they are not recognized on the newer firmware on the NVR I'm assuming I'll have to unmount them to update the firmware.

Would you recommend I update firmware on the cameras first while they are correctly working to NVR? I prefer not to unmount them to update.

Reading through all of this now it seems like a lot of work just to try to get some emails to send but I really want to stop paying for my email server (and web hosting) on my domain which I no longer need.

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
Hard to say. I have a number of 5231's running on that model same FW and a buddy's 5232 with older V3 FW. I havent updated any of those cameras....

I would not worry about the 5231's running on the newer V4 FW.

toolazyforalogin

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Thanks @bigredfish I'll give it a shot when I have some time. I'm going away at the end of December and really don't want to mess this up before then. What's the best way to update the firmware? I'm assuming a USB stick formatted to FAT32 plugged directly into the unit. Restart the NVR first and leave the cameras plugged in? My NVR is like 20 feet up on a shelf n the air in the basement. I think my Bluetooth USB mouse will work during the update. If not I'll have to run a longer wire all the way up there.

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
You can’t connect to the NVR via your network - pc with a browser? This is the best way. Go through the web interface to the NVR, much friendlier than the direct machine interface. From there you can upload the fw from your PC

If you haven’t changed it, and assuming your home network router is assigning IPs to your various devices as 192.168.1.x …. The NVR will be at 192.168.1.108 just type that into your browser url

toolazyforalogin

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I'm confused. You're suggesting I use Pale Moon to connect to the ip of my machine like I make changes now and upload the firmware from there? I thought I would lose connection this way during the process.

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
Leave the browser open and don’t leave the page while it updates. It will reboot when finished

toolazyforalogin

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Ok thanks for the help. I'll keep you posted - Do you remember if you had to reconfigure the tripwire you set up on the cameras or did they automatically carry over since they are setup on the cameras themselves?

toolazyforalogin

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Thanks @bigredfish for the help. For anyone reading I unplugged all cameras and restarted the NVR prior to updating the firmware and added the cameras back one at a time. All went smoothly. I was able to get my new email "test succeeded" using the app password in gmail.

I should have an idea if my IVS triggers are working overnight tonight. I guess the only question I have is the red "arming" bell indicator next to the time in the top right corner. Should I have the bell red saying arming when I hover over it or click it to become white and say unarming? I don't really know what that is all about. I

Timokreon

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
My bell is red and says arming. Though I no longer remember what exactly it does anymore. Been awhile since I looked that information up.

toolazyforalogin

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Okay I believe I have this working. @Timokreon I found the alarm bell is supposed to be red to get alerts. @bigredfish I was not getting email alerts even though I was set up to get them on the cameras until I went into the NVR settings itself and also checked the box there as well. The location is - IVS AI - then Parameters - then select each camera and go to "more settings" then check the send email box. I've attached 3 pictures for anyone having trouble getting email alerts to work. As for push notifications I'm still not getting them. I even deleted the NVR on the DMSS app and added it back by ip address. I even tried to make an account in case that was necessary and still no luck.

@bigredfish maybe you can add this part to the first post in your walk through thread - ***PSA for those with a New DAHUA NVR with Built-in PoE switch

Attachments

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
Yep familiar with that I use it in two cameras. I need to update that anyway.

On the push alerts, pretty sure you have to have P2P enabled on the NVR and link/add the phone via the QR code