Dahua NVR5216-16P-4KS2E - Adding Camera From Switch

Kevin Doe

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I added a camera on my shed, but unlike my other cameras, it's not directly plugged into my NVR's ports. The back of my NVR looks like ports 1-8 are labeled POE, and 9-16 are not POE.

My new camera located in the shed is plugged into a POE switch, which then goes to a media adapter to convert to fiber, across the fiber, then to another media adapter to go back to ethernet, and then plugged into the NVRs port #6. The camera is recognized when I do a "search device" in the camera list, but unlike my other cameras it does not automatically populate/move to the lower list of added channels. I've never added a camera from a switch. How do I go about adding this camera? If I add another camera in my shed connected to the same POE switch, will the process be the same of adding, even though there is only one port occupied in the NVR for multiple cams coming from that same switch?

Sorry for the elementary questions, just never been through this scenario before. Thanks!

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
You need to manually add it.

And more than likely it won't allow more than one cam to come into the non-poe port and you will have to connect the switch to the WAN/LAN of the NVR

Kevin Doe

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I added it manually, and I can view the camera live and playback. But when I click on the IE icon, I cannot log into the camera. I suspect I know what the problem is related to. When I was testing out the camera before I mounted it on the shed I had it plugged into a different port on the NVR (direct to NVR, no switch). When I was doing that it automatically added itself to the bottom list. After doing the testing indoors, I mounted the camera, and changed the port on the NVR to the next available open port. I'm currently using 1-5 with other cameras. When testing I think I had it plugged into port 8. I since deleted that entry from the bottom list, and plugged the camera into port #6.

When I click on the IE icon for the other cameras it works properly, and the address in the browser looks like "192.168.0.254:10080" When I click on the new camera it tries to open address "10.1.1.72" and fails. Not sure where to go from here.

1655585125020.png

Last edited:

Kevin Doe

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Thought this might help. Here is a schematic of my network. Cam 6 is the one I'm having issues with. Should I have it plugged into port 6 (which is labeled as one of the POE ports)? Cams 1-5 are all POE direct to the NVR. Should I plug my 4-port POE switch into one of my 24-port switches, instead of directly into port 6 of the NVR? Pros/cons?

1655589928572.png

Kevin Doe

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I did a full power down of the POE switch and NVR. Then powered the NVR back on, then the POE switch. Looks like everything is resolved.

I still have the question about the pros/cons of connecting the 4-port POE switch into the 24-port switch. Seems like it puts more traffic on my network than necessary, but there may be other considerations.

observant1

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
The back of my NVR looks like ports 1-8 are labeled POE, and 9-16 are not POE. !
I've seen some nvrs that have epoe ports for the first half and regular poe ports for the other half. The half that are not labeled ePOE are not labeled at all, but are in fact POE ports. I'd bet all the ports on the back of your nvr are poe ports.

your NVR switch/ports are a different private subnet ? Looks like the Shed camera is assigned to channel 5 of the NVR?

Seems like you have it working. Not sure but you may be able to add more cameras to the poe switch in the shed as long as you do not use up the rest of the ports on your nvr. Sometimes it can help to set the camers at 15 fps with a bit rate, like 2048.

Dahua NVR5216-16P-4KS2E 16 - Has 8 ePOE ports and 8 POE ports. So all your ports will sopport a camers. The first 8 will support cameras at an exyended distance.

Kevin Doe

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
your NVR switch/ports are a different private subnet ? Looks like the Shed camera is assigned to channel 5 of the NVR?
No. I don't even know what that means. Sorry my naming convention is confusing. I named the channels based on what they look at, not where they're mounted. Helps out the wife. Channel 6 is the camera I mounted ON the shed, lol.

Dahua NVR5216-16P-4KS2E 16 - Has 8 ePOE ports and 8 POE ports. So all your ports will sopport a camers. The first 8 will support cameras at an exyended distance.
Thank you for that explanation. I actually hooked up one of my other new cameras (K42A) up to port 11 temporarily and it worked, I was confused, since I thought it wouldn't work since it wasn't POE. Now this makes more sense.