Dahua NVR4216-4KS2/L unable to motion detect on more than 8 channels?

f7592414

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi all,

I have 8 cams (mixed Dahua AI, Imou, some Aliexpress) and a NVR4216-4KS2 NVR. All is fine, AI works where it should, motion detection works fine.

recently I bought a VTO2311 with VTH2611 and I added the VTO to NVR as channel 9. My expectation was, that NVR will record VTO video when there's a motion detection and/or doorbell button pressed (alarm, or event).

but I simply cannot get any motion detection recording from this VTO, while it's on channel 9 and up. When I throw out some of existing cams from positions 1-8 and put the VTO there, motion recording works fine. Also, setting Motion Detection works on channels 1-8, I can set the recording regions, and so on. But as soon as I want to set MD region on Channel 9 (and above), the window with region settings (the one with video overlay) does not show up. Buttons, checkboxes are clickable and are remembered, but seem not to be applied.

I cannot find any reference to it, but I think I might be hitting some limitation from the vendor. Does anybody know if there is any limitation like this?

duplo

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Most VTO deviced dont have motion detection by camera (vto). You will need a nvr which can do AI by nvr. The NVR4216-4KS2 cant do that. You need a newer one.

Also doorbell press cannot be recognize by nvr as event. If the VTO has a sdcard slot, you can enable it. But it will only record doorpress events on sdcard.

Dahua software is always awful. You cannot expect such things.

Also according to datasheet the NVR4216-4KS2/L cant do AI on all channels. Looks like this is some hardware or software limitation to sell higher end(expensiver) devices.

Perimeter Protection by Camera
Performance8 channels
AI SearchSearch for pictures by channel, time and event type
Face Detection by Camera
Performance4 channels
Face Attributes6 attributes: Gender, age, glasses, expression, mouth mask, and beard
AI SearchSearch for pictures by channel, time and face attributes
SMD Plus by Camera
Performance12 channels
AI SearchSearch by target classification (human, vehicle)

Last edited:

f7592414

n3wb
Reaction score
VTO deviced dont have motion detection by camera (vto). You will need a nvr which can do AI by nvr. The NVR4216-4KS2 cant do that. You need a newer one.

Also doorbell press cannot be recognize by nvr as event. If the VTO has a sdcard slot, you can enable it. But it will only record doorpress events on sdcard.

Dahua software is always awful. You cannot expect such things.
thanks but my NVR can do Motion Detection recording on VTO. It's on NVR side and works. And the VTO button events I'm subscribed over network, I don't miss them a lot on NVR.

My question was, why I can do Motion Detection (non-smart) only on channels 1-8 and not 1-16?

duplo

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
thanks but my NVR can do Motion Detection recording on VTO. It's on NVR side and works. And the VTO button events I'm subscribed over network, I don't miss them a lot on NVR.

My question was, why I can do Motion Detection (non-smart) only on channels 1-8 and not 1-16?

We have tested this. Doorbell press cannot be recorded as event on NVR. Only on internal sdcard.

Not sure how you got it working.

f7592414

n3wb
Reaction score
We have tested this. Doorbell press cannot be recorded as event on NVR. Only on internal sdcard.

Not sure how you got it working.
this must be my english, sorry.

my post is about Motion Recording from VTO video works on NVR. But only when the VTO is on channels 1-8. Not above. If VTO is on channel 9,10,11,12,13,14,15,16 -> then the Motion Detection is not triggered.

this is irrelevant to my question: Doorbell cannot be recorded as event, that is correct. I'm able to get the doorbell event from the button into my home automation system. I don't really care if the event is sent to NVR or not

steve1225

Getting comfortable
Reaction score

Dahua VTO are stupid - they don't have motion detection. And bell press don't generate event acceptable by NVR.

If you want MD on VTO - You need AI local enabled NVR - like 4xxx-EI / 5xxx-EI series, which can decode/AI analyse video feed on NVR.

f7592414

n3wb
Reaction score
Dahua VTO are stupid - they don't have motion detection. And bell press don't generate event acceptable by NVR.

If you want MD on VTO - You need AI local enabled NVR - like 4xxx-EI / 5xxx-EI series, which can decode/AI analyse video feed on NVR.
I'm fine with dumb MD, I don't need SMD. My thread is only about why MD works only on half of the channels. I cannot find any reference on that

duplo

Getting comfortable
Reaction score

This is what we have seen. Maybe dahua forgot to block it on the nvr firmware on this series. He must be the only person who have it on timeline.

In theory the VTO can do motion detection, you can enable it via API and it shows output via onvif.

But if you add it on NVR with private protocol or even onvif, it does not show these events on timeline. So it must be blocked by dahua.

f7592414

n3wb
Reaction score
Entschuldigung, ich werde es mit Deutsch versuchen, da ich eine offensichtliche Languagebarrier sehe.

Mein Problem ist nicht die Türklingel. Mein Problem ist, dass ich Motion Detection Recording nur auf der Hälfte der Kanäle nutzen kann. Ich habe einen 16-Kanal-NVR, aber die Motion Detection Recording funktioniert nur auf den Kanälen 1 bis 8. Auf den Kanälen 9 bis 16 funktioniert sie nicht. Ich wiederhole es noch einmal: Ich habe kein Problem mit der Türklingel