Dahua NVR without Model Number

jwadsley

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I've got a dahua NVR that I'm responsible for at my HOA, but I don't see a model number. All I see is NVR under Model. The firmware is from 2016 and is 3.2.X

I no longer have the box, and looking at the tag on the bottom I don't see any model number there, only a serial number.

Would like to know the model number so that I can upgrade the firmware to the 4.0 version and get some features, like not needing to use the plugin for web vieweing.

tigerwillow1

Known around here
Reaction score
If the sticker doesn't have a model number you might have a tough time finding out what model it is. You know the box is probably at least 7 years old. Your firmware has the V3 user interface. You can see if it has POE ports, and use the UI to see how many channels it has. Maybe posting a picture of the front and back panels could help somebody identify it, but some models look similar enough that it might be impossible to tell the difference. For reference, here's a sticker with model info on it:
NVR-Sticker-5216_2 - blurred.jpg

jwadsley

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
If the sticker doesn't have a model number you might have a tough time finding out what model it is. You know the box is probably at least 7 years old. Your firmware has the V3 user interface. You can see if it has POE ports, and use the UI to see how many channels it has. Maybe posting a picture of the front and back panels could help somebody identify it, but some models look similar enough that it might be impossible to tell the difference. For reference, here's a sticker with model info on it:
View attachment 158866
That sticker looks the same for mine, except there is no model, just

Network video Recorder
100-240v 3.5a 47-63Hz
Part Number and Serial number

jwadsley

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Does configtool display the model?
Not sure, as I have not used the config tool as it is difficult to get connected to the network in the space it is currently located. Getting a laptop there with power and an ethernet cable is quite the task considering the room size :) I thought I read somewhere that the config tool would only report what SmartPSS reported, which is the same as the sticker, just NVR

tigerwillow1

Known around here
Reaction score
I thought that Config Tool doesn't communicate with NVRs at all. Maybe I'm wrong?
smartPss doesn't report my NVR model. The only place I can find it is on the sticker (and on the purchase invoice).
Capture.JPG
Capture1.JPG

jwadsley

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Since it doesn't have a model on the sticker, is it safe to say that is is really old and should probably be replaced to get some of the new features?

Also find that I've got 8 cameras for the 8 POE ports, but not sure if its the cable or the cameras or the POE ports, but I don't find any of the plugged in cameras in the network page where I should be able to add cameras...

jwadsley

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Configtool will show the model of NVR in some occasions.. did you try the web ui and check under settings?
I guess i should double check, but I don't see a settings option? Can you walk me through where it would be? This is what I see in the info section....

1680411437723.png

tigerwillow1

Known around here
Reaction score
There's a bunch of information in that info screen. Based on that I'm going to guess the NVR might be a 7216-8P. If these front and rear panel drawings match up, there's a good chance that's what it is. The 72xx series is pretty old and there's a chance that the maximum resolution it will support is 2 megapixels.
Capture.JPG
Capture1.JPG

jwadsley

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
There's a bunch of information in that info screen. Based on that I'm going to guess the NVR might be a 7216-8P. If these front and rear panel drawings match up, there's a good chance that's what it is. The 72xx series is pretty old and there's a chance that the maximum resolution it will support is 2 megapixels.
View attachment 158912
View attachment 158914
That looks pretty close. It is a 16 port model and the HDMI / USB / LAN ports are closer to the POE ports, but it looks pretty dang close.

Would it be worth upgrading the firmware on this NVR or its so old I stand a good chance to brick it?

Flintstone61

Known around here
Reaction score
Chance of bricking high. Or at least a vicious cycle of firmware upgrade fails. If the other guy is right, and your 2MP is the limit, there isn't much you can do with it as far as 4MP cams.

jwadsley

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score

Flintstone61

Known around here
Reaction score
The last 2 shots are 2 cameras looking at the same car. one is the 5241 set up for strictly LPR.

Cam14.20220128_140946_75367876.jpgCam10.20211130_180024_631419117.jpgLpr3.jpgLpr4.jpg

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score

jwadsley

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Looks like you have done your homework. All are solid choices and will serve you well.
If you have any thoughts that you may add more cameras in the future, I would get the 32 ch version NVR for only $39 more.

Have you considered a PC and Blue Iris instead of an NVR?
Blue Iris - Video Security Software
Ya, I might go with the 32 channel route, but the last 16 ports aren't POE capable, so would need a POE switch correct? If I plug that into port 17 on the NVR, does that keep the same IP address 10.0.0.xx for the POE switch cameras?

Since this is an HOA and I won't always be on the board, I want something that is turn key and should keep running long after I've left the community. I don't want to have to mess with a windows build and then blue iris setup and don't want to get calls for years later.

Also don't have the space for a PC, all of this stuff is mounted on a wall, and the NVR mounts nicely on that wall...