Dahua NVR settings keep changing

Miacomo

n3wb
Reaction score
New to the forum. Thanks in advance, everyone!

Dahua NVR5464-4KS2
Using Dahua IPC-HDW4631C-A cams
TP Link managed PoE switches
IVS setup menu on NVR

I set up the cameras using the web browser before connecting to NVR. When I set up a schedule on the NVR for IVS email snapshot, within hours, the schedule is back to the default 24/7 schedule. Other settings such as "buzzer" and even sometimes the object target sizes also go back to default. I've tried to re-enter a new schedule again using both the web browser AND using the NVR itself and most of the cams resort back to full-time 24/7 scheduling. Verified that cams are not losing power.

Another problem is that some of the cameras' sub stream setting keeps changing from H264 back to H265 along with their bit rates. This happens once or twice a day on only several cameras.

It's almost as if there's a conflict between the NVR and the cams. Is there a way to disable the NVR from updating/changing setting on the cams where I can make changes only through the browser using the cam's IP address and the NVR can't change what I did?

Any ideas?

Flintstone61

Known around here
Reaction score
With right out of the box "new" cams I usually let the NVR " find" a new cam and assign it what it wants for an IP address. Then I go inside the NVR and use the " cameras" tab and pay that cam a visit with the " Blue" Explorer icon. then I start my changes.
But my needs are simple. So im not seeing any settings get changed back. from my Amcrest( DahuaOEM) 4108....with Dahua and Amcrest cams...
The cams as you know are addressed to be at 192.168.1.108 when initialized via BI or IP config tools,
But for whatever reason when plugged into an NVR.....the same cam will let the NVR dictate the IP address...I found this out on my own....Maybe everybody is aware of it....
So if you circumvent the NVR by initializing with your own Static Ip, maybe i t's fucking with the camera somehow....

Miacomo

n3wb
Reaction score
With right out of the box "new" cams I usually let the NVR " find" a new cam and assign it what it wants for an IP address. Then I go inside the NVR and use the " cameras" tab and pay that cam a visit with the " Blue" Explorer icon. then I start my changes.
But my needs are simple. So im not seeing any settings get changed back. from my Amcrest( DahuaOEM) 4108....with Dahua and Amcrest cams...
The cams as you know are addressed to be at 192.168.1.108 when initialized via BI or IP config tools,
But for whatever reason when plugged into an NVR.....the same cam will let the NVR dictate the IP address...I found this out on my own....Maybe everybody is aware of it....
So if you circumvent the NVR by initializing with your own Static Ip, maybe i t's fucking with the camera somehow....
I did use static IPs from the beginning and when connected to the NVR, I let the NVR "find" the camera when connected to the network, then added it.

Flintstone61

Known around here
Reaction score
I think the guys who have experience in here with Dahua NVR's say to just plug them in right outta the box. without tinkering with the the IP addressing....Not sure if that could have any effect on how this behavior is happening...
the other thing I've seen on here is that the actual Web Browser you use, might raise hell with the settings not sticking... @wittaj @bigredfish

Miacomo

n3wb
Reaction score
The ones that I have show the Dahua name on them and have metal bases. The base separates from the turret dome with a single Torx screw. When checking firmware, it shows they have the latest. Came purchased 2/2022 on AliExpress from a seller who claims to be a legit Dahua reseller.

tigerwillow1

Known around here
Reaction score
I've been swapping some cameras and find that the NVR is pushing the camera name out to the camera. For example, I start with a camera named 5231-RZ on channel 12. I delete it from the NVR, then add a camera with the name 5442-TM-AS to channel 12. Then shazamm, that camera all of a sudden has the name 5231-RZ in its web interface, and displayed as the video overlay. This is with a 5216-4kS2, external switch. Maybe this thread is explaining why bit rates and so forth aren't what I thought I had them set to, and that I'm really not as crazy as it looks.

Miacomo

n3wb
Reaction score
It's almost as if the NVR needs a setting to disable doing any kind of updating to the cams. I'm fine with using a browser to access the cams by IP to make any adjustments necessary.

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
I think those are Chinese region cams. That could be part of the problem.

Always make all settings on the camera, only use the NVR for recording schedule. (Cam names are typically pulled from the NVR)

Your description sounds a lot like a browser issue, not holding settings. Only IE seems to maintain settings.

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Those are China region cameras, that have been hacked to English. Not surprising that you are having issue's.
Avoid china region cams if you want reliability.
But yes, use IE and do all settings in the cameras, not the NVR. That may or may not solve the issue.
Stick with Dahua International model cams which are available from our trusted Vendor here: EmpireTech-Andy @ Amazon.com: And Here: EmpireTech Andy | IP Cam Talk
Or in the IPcamtalk store.

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

tigerwillow1

Known around here
Reaction score
I placed a IPC-T5442TM-AS onto a previously used NVR channel today, and almost instantly a few of the settings from the camera previously on that channel were pushed to the new camera. This would mean that making settings directly on the camera sometimes doesn't work, and the general rule of all chinese market cameras are crap doesn't apply. It's a dahua international NVR issue.

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
Hmmmm, was the camera brand new never logged into?

I’ve done same many times and never had that happen. Unless I hit save on settings within the NVR interface. Then it can push settings to the camera.

I’ll be spinning up a brand new 5216 NVR in a few weeks and will try to make that happen.

tigerwillow1

Known around here
Reaction score
Hmmmm, was the camera brand new never logged into?
Camera was previously used and set up. I think I made a logic error concluding that the NVR pushed settings to the camera, as it could also be the camera "pulling" settings from the NVR, and trying to think deeper (very dangerous!), I've never noticed this happen with any of the older chinese market cameras or the 2MP starlights. An observation that doesn't prove anything. If I were really worried about it I'd spend a lot of time swapping cameras and settings to narrow it down, but I have bigger fish to fry with the available time. When a camera setting doesn't stick, I just change it on the NVR, problem solved. The NVR is a V1 5216-4ks2 with pretty old V4 firmware, and most of my cameras have pretty old firmware.

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
Ive never gone deep enough to test the all variables of the push/pull relationship between camera and NVR. Its possible. But I
have swapped NVRs on systems and didn't notice any setting changes. I do know that if you play with image or event settings on the NVR and Save, you may see undesired setting changes on a camera due to the controls all not being the same on both. Some setting controls simply dont exist on the NVR.

tigerwillow1

Known around here
Reaction score
“Log” checked will show up in ALARM -> Alarm Info -> Type = Intelligent.
Wow, was I going off in the wrong direction with this setting. My older cameras post IVS events to the camera log (newer cameras don't, I wish they would), so i figured this setting was to turn camera logging on and off. It IS in the same settings section as setting IVS rules, so some of the settings are for the camera and some are for the NVR and it's not obvious which are which. Not very user friendly. Nonetheless, this tip is like finding gold! Thank you, I never would have guessed it. The details sometimes specify human or motor vehicle. It must be the NVR doing that because the camera I see this on doesn't have human or motor vehicle detection.