Dahua NVR, IVS snapshot option

htfan

n3wb
Reaction score
A family member has a Dahua NVR5216-16P-4KS2E with firmware listed as V4.000.0000001.5, Build Date: 2019-12-18 and some IPC-T2431-AS cams that we're trying to setup IVS Tripwire/Intrusion snapshots for.

Is the option to take a snapshot missing...? Call me crazy, but I couldn't find it. I attached a pic of where I assumed it should be. I see a checkbox for Record Channel but none for Snapshot. Am I looking in the wrong place of the NVR's menu? Or missing something?

nvr-ivs-no-snapshot.jpg

Recording schedule is set for all channels 24/7 for Reguar & IVS as, Snapshots are set 24/7 for MD and IVS.

We have a QC826 at another location, which I understand is a Dahua clone that uses the older Blue interface, that is setup with IVS & snapshots working. I guess maybe I'm just not looking in the right part of the NVR's menu?

Thanks!

Last edited:

htfan

n3wb
Reaction score
Still trying to sort this out with the NVR5216-16P-4KS2E and IPC-T2431-AS cams and have an update:

We setup email, and with IVS configured as pictured in my post above we are emailed a snapshot when IVS events are triggered. BUT, still can not figure out where the option to record/save IVS triggered snapshots is?? Also, when using SmartPSS and going to Playback, selecting Picture and a time frame where an IVS snapshot was emailed it tells us there is no picture...

Is there really no way for this NVR to record/save IVS triggered snapshots? BTW, IVS triggered video recording seems to work fine.

Also, in the camera's webui itself, the snapshot checkbox is checked but we're not recording there. We'd like them saved to the NVR's HDDs.

Thanks for any help!

Gigapalooza

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I have similar questions - have posted several times, but have unfortunately never heard of a solution. It seems like a reasonable expectation of an NVR, and the interface even shows snapshots of events - yet those snapshots are not available on mobile apps, and difficult to set up (impossible maybe?)

paul@austins.tv

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
It's a rather convoluted way, with Dahua!
Firstly you need to enable snapshots in record mode for the camera you require. Then record snapshot schedule for your IVS events, then via encode mode tab you can select you snapshot resolutions.
Good luck.

dmacchia

n3wb
Reaction score
Hello. I've been following this site for several years, and finally have something worth adding :).
I've got a N54B3P2 NVR and am trying to set up an IPC-B5842E-Z4E 4k camera I just got from Andy to capture license plates. I really just wanted to capture the single image as they crossed the trip wire line.
Anyway, I've spent hours trying to get it to snapshot using IVS, and it just won't work, even with IVS turned on in the snapshot schedule. I can snapshot using motion OK, I can turn manual snapshot with "general" turned on in the schedule and it works fine.
I've got a couple of workarounds. I found that setting up the FTP to send with "events" checked and snapshots turned on under recording control will produce the snapshots from the NVR. I sent them to my NAS which has an FTP server running. You can also send them directly from the camera, but in my case I'm using the POE ports on the NVR and it's on a different network.
I also found that I could program IVS to activate an alarm contact. I ran the alarm contact to one of the alarm inputs, and programed that input to take snapshots of the channel, and that will save them to the NVR.
I think there is a problem in the IVS software, in the IVS setup, and the checkbox to do snapshots is missing. My NVR is running on V4.001.0000007.1, Build Date: 2021-08-2.
I also noticed there is a bit of a delay using either of these methods from when the tripwire is crossed to when the snapshot is taken. Maybe just a second or two but it's enough to miss getting the plate. I just got this working today, so for now I've just moved the line back about 10 feet.
I'm also getting about 8-10 snapshots per trip and I'd really like to get that down to 1 or 2 good ones.
I think I'll connect one of my NAS lan ports to the NVR and see what kind of results I get FTP'ing right from the camera. Maybe over the weekend.

This is a great site, I've found answers to many, many problems here.

Dave Macchia

Gigapalooza

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
So glad you took the time to detail what has worked and what hasn't. It's baffling to me that snapshots of filtered activity are not a feature.
Most would like to have an 'at a glance' view of the day's events.
You're the first person to actually tackle the problem head-on... thank you!
I have a NAS sitting next to my NVR, so I'll find some time to test as well.