Dahua NVR for ip cams without POE ports

mirror51

n3wb
Reaction score
I have 12 Dahua Cameras linked to HIkvision 7616.
All cameras are linked to POE switch, so i dont directly connect cameras to NVR.

Everything was working fine for year or so but now
It is giving me issues that every 2-3 days , its not able to connect to all cameras.
If i got to individual cameras ip , they work ok.
I am even not able to connect to IP of NVR at that time. Look like some issue with network card.
I have to restart NVR to make it work

I was thinking if i can get the new NVR of Dahua like this

US $88.0 |Dahua NVR4104 4ks2 NVR4108 4ks2 NVR4116 4ks2 replace NVR4104 NVR4108 NVR4116 Smart 1U Mini NVR H.265 8mp 4ch/8ch/16ch NVR-in Surveillance Video Recorder from Security & Protection on Aliexpress.com | Alibaba Group

Did anyone tried that before ??

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I have 12 Dahua Cameras linked to HIkvision 7616.
All cameras are linked to POE switch, so i dont directly connect cameras to NVR.

Everything was working fine for year or so but now
It is giving me issues that every 2-3 days , its not able to connect to all cameras.
If i got to individual cameras ip , they work ok.
I am even not able to connect to IP of NVR at that time. Look like some issue with network card.
I have to restart NVR to make it work

I was thinking if i can get the new NVR of Dahua like this

US $88.0 |Dahua NVR4104 4ks2 NVR4108 4ks2 NVR4116 4ks2 replace NVR4104 NVR4108 NVR4116 Smart 1U Mini NVR H.265 8mp 4ch/8ch/16ch NVR-in Surveillance Video Recorder from Security & Protection on Aliexpress.com | Alibaba Group

Did anyone tried that before ??
That NVR is crap. There are a bunch of threads on dahua NVR's. If you cameras are hacked china region you will have issues with the new NVR.
If you want more control and a better experience, buy a pc to run blue iris.

mirror51

n3wb
Reaction score
That NVR is crap. There are a bunch of threads on dahua NVR's. If you cameras are hacked china region you will have issues with the new NVR.
If you want more control and a better experience, buy a pc to run Blue Iris .
Thanks for reply.

I never had any issues with cameras as they always work fine as i can reach the camera web interface all the time.
The issue is only with NVR.

I also have Blueiris as well. That is taking feed from NVR and storing on local disk and from there i am uploading to cloud.

I cant use Blueiris only as i can see that if i start decoding as well then even with 2-3 cameras it consume all CPU and its not working as expected.

I have mac mini with 16GB RAM and i7 but blueiris always use 100% cpu there withn 3-4 cameras

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Thanks for reply.

I never had any issues with cameras as they always work fine as i can reach the camera web interface all the time.
The issue is only with NVR.

I also have Blueiris as well. That is taking feed from NVR and storing on local disk and from there i am uploading to cloud.

I cant use Blueiris only as i can see that if i start decoding as well then even with 2-3 cameras it consume all CPU and its not working as expected.

I have mac mini with 16GB RAM and i7 but blueiris always use 100% cpu there withn 3-4 cameras
Blue iris does not care about the number of cameras. Its the total resolution and frame rates that matter. What is the resolution of the cameras you have? The mac mini is a terrible choice for blue iris. You could buy a pc that will run your load for 100-300 dollars easy.

mirror51

n3wb
Reaction score
Blue iris does not care about the number of cameras. Its the total resolution and frame rates that matter. What is the resolution of the cameras you have? The mac mini is a terrible choice for blue iris. You could buy a pc that will run your load for 100-300 dollars easy.
I have all 4MP CAMERAS X 12.
I think i am happy with framerate of 10 or 15.
Only 2 cameras i need 4MP resolution , rest i can reduce as well.

Which processor and RAM combination can handle that?

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I have all 4MP CAMERAS X 12.
I think i am happy with framerate of 10 or 15.
Only 2 cameras i need 4MP resolution , rest i can reduce as well.

Which processor and RAM combination can handle that?
An i5-3570 hp 8300 which is about 100 on ebay in the US. See the wiki on optimizing blue iris and hardware for blue iris.
If you can do it, look at an i5-6500 as that may eventually support hardware acceleration for h.265 using intel quicksync.
a third gen i7 or higher would give you a ton of headroom. Dont get any processors that are earlier than third generation intel. Dont get the weak T/U processors.