Dahua NVR email test always fails

kruuth

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I'm attempting to configure my Dahua NVR from the wiki here:

I've got all of the settings in there properly, as far as I can tell, but no matter what I try, I always get "Email Test Failed"
At first I thought that it was my DNS settings, but my DNS is set to 8.8.8.8 and the alternate is 8.8.4.4. Is there some other setting that needs to be set in order to send emails?

kruuth

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I'm able to connect to it from my LAN, and it can reach the internet. I was able to update the time via NTP

kruuth

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Yes that is correct. I even configured a new mail just for this, so that I would be sure that it worked.

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
Hmmm I’m not aware of a firmware problem but you could check on updating. What model is it?

Id duplicate what you have on your phone/pc at home assuming same network. I have to admit having same problem on one and it turned out I’d misspelled the password. Does your provider allow smtp email out using that port/ssl?

kruuth

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
This is a DH-XVR5116HS-X. The FW version is 4.000.0000001.4. Says build data is 2018-03-17.

I'm going to try a lightweight email client on my desktop to see if something is afoot

kruuth

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Ok, just tried this with Sylpheed and it allows it to send from my desktop.

kruuth

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Also tried it with earthlink and I'm getting the same error.

Valiant

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Did you manually set the IP settings on the NVR or are you using DHCP ?

Flintstone61

Known around here
Reaction score
I've been having better luck going outbound from NVR or Blue Iris, with my trusty 22 year old Hotmail account LOL. ( now Outlook.live or some shit.)
seems to be less blockage/hassle to get a succesful test message thru.

kruuth

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Yeah but the problem is that it isn't working with Earthlink either, and that is pretty pedestrian

Mark_M

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
What settings have you tried?

This is what I have on mine and it works fine.
Importantly, the username and sender is the same email address of the email account sending the email.
I see the Dahua Wiki mentions 465 instead of 587 for SMTP.
1641525270915.png

I setup this as an application password rather than my main Google account one.

EDIT: I'll point out that with a 'less secure apps' password it will delete them all if your Google Account's main password is changed.

Flintstone61

Known around here
Reaction score
I figured If i have 15GB of storage on a Hotmail/Outlook.com
and 15Gb on a gmail account, I don't max out the email account as fast. (15GB sent + 15GB receive = 30GB.
Like I would If i send and receive on john@gmail. 7.5 sent = 7.5 received = 15GB a full account.
Currently I am getting only 4 weeks before I have to delete all the motion alert emails. and I only have like 2-3 cams alerting out of 18.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I figured If i have 15GB of storage on a Hotmail/Outlook.com
and 15Gb on a gmail account, I don't max out the email account as fast. (15GB sent + 15GB receive = 30GB.
Like I would If i send and receive on john@gmail. 7.5 sent = 7.5 received = 15GB a full account.
Currently I am getting only 4 weeks before I have to delete all the motion alert emails. and I only have like 2-3 cams alerting out of 18.
Or you set up a filter to have the email autodelete the sent emails to yourself, then you don't fill up the outbox and inbox with the same message!

kruuth

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I tried your settings Mark_M, but it didn't work:

settings.jpg

I still get the same exact same "Email Test Failed"

kruuth

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Ok well the FW update seems to have fixed the problem. Now the other issue, getting it to send an email when there's motion detection on this one particular channel