Dahua NVR email spam

ipnoob

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Got my NVR and a couple cameras in. The blackface starlight is great. But I'm having a little trouble with the NVR. It emails at start of motion, then an image, then at stop of motion. No settings to change it seems like, and I tired sending the address directly to spam with an exception for the emails with attachments, but the spam ones still show up on my phone.

Anyone have a gmail filter setup that will delete all but the ones with attachments, I couldn't seem to manage that.

Also, is there a way to get several pictures from one event instead of just one?

Fastb

Known around here
Reaction score
ipnoob,

3 emails per alert is standard, and there's no way to change that. Check the end of this thread: Dahua "Local Alarm" input is speed challenged?

I created a workaround using Gmail and filters. NVR emails go to an email account just for the NVR emails. A filter forwards emails with attachments to my real email account. So I don't see "event start" or "event end" emails, including on my phone.

Hokey.

I'm not 100% happy with this "solution". About half the time, the email with the attachment doesn't reach the 1st Gmail inbox I mentioned above. I switched to a more robust email service (sendgrid) since some folks reported that Gmail was the problem. But that didn't fix the problem. Changing the NVR setting for email delay (to avoid overwhelming the email server with rapid fire emails) reduced the problem somewhat, but the problem persists. I now suspect the NVR chokes, and sometimes sends 2 emails instead of 3. (ie: the NVR doesn't send the snapshot email)

I use gDMSS Plus. (the not free version) It has push notification that is close to instantaneous. When an event occurs, I instantly hear a tone on my phone. Much faster than waiting to receive an email, which has inconsistent email response times.

And gDMSS receives a short video recording that includes pre-event, event, and post-event video. Nice. This eliminated my desire to receive multiple snapshots (which I was unable get working). The videos are consistently received - much more dependably snapshot emails.

So it's workable.

Fastb

It seems it's either no snapshot or one snapshot.
I found

ipnoob

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Yea looks like you have the same problem as me. I depend on the email snapshots, and this 3 email thing is driving me crazy, along with the sometimes no emailed snapshot. I went to try and set the alarm output on motion to an alarm input to send an email, but the damn thing sends three emails on alarm too.

Fastb

Known around here
Reaction score
ipnoob,

What model Dahua NVR do you have? I have the NVR4216
I'm curious if this problem affects many models...

My experience matches yours. 3 emails per alarm, whether the alarm is;
a) camera generated (eg: motion, tripwire, intrusion, etc), or
b) a "local" alarm using the Alarm Input on the NVR (eg: PIR sensor), or
c) an external alarm wired to the camera's Alarm Input line (eg: PIR sensor)

Fastb

akoei

n3wb
Reaction score
I got mine only for a week, 4208. Same as you, 3 email per event, sometimes missing one of the three... this is really stupid design

ipnoob,

What model Dahua NVR do you have? I have the NVR4216
I'm curious if this problem affects many models...

My experience matches yours. 3 emails per alarm, whether the alarm is;
a) camera generated (eg: motion, tripwire, intrusion, etc), or
b) a "local" alarm using the Alarm Input on the NVR (eg: PIR sensor), or
c) an external alarm wired to the camera's Alarm Input line (eg: PIR sensor)

Fastb

Fastb

Known around here
Reaction score
And your point is?
It's well known here, and frequently discussed, that the NVR (I can only speak to Dahua NVR) absolutely sucks for email.
- snapshot emails are lost ~50% of the times
- I have multiple IVS allerts set up (trip wire, intrusion zone), so when I drive up the driveway, get outta the car, and walk to the front door, I trigger 6 to 8 "events"
- Push notifcations (using gDMSS Plus) work extremely well. Befoe I reach my front door, I hear all the push notifications tones on my phone,
- -- Multiple tones tell me there's really someone on my property, it's not a false alarm due to racoon, squirrel, etc.
- Then the mails show up. I use Gmail filters to only keep the emails with snaps. Email 1 (event start) & email 3 (event end) go to trash.
- About half the time, email 2 with snap is lost.

I've struggled mightily. As have others. I changed to other email services, thinking it was a Google anti-spam defense. No difference. It's the NVR is my conclusion.

The NVR is busy making "Regular" records, and "Alarm" records. So email perf suffers.

Long story short: DO NOT depend on the NVR sending a) timely and b) dependable emails. Use gDMSS plus or iDMSS plus and rely on push notifications. I stopped leaning at windmills.

Be flexible, grasshopper.... :D

Fastb

akoei

n3wb
Reaction score
from google play, here is what i read:
Only special device support "Push Alarm" function.

I am wondering, do you know if 4208 support it?
do you need configure something on you nvr to get it working?

And your point is?
It's well known here, and frequently discussed, that the NVR (I can only speak to Dahua NVR) absolutely sucks for email.
- snapshot emails are lost ~50% of the times
- I have multiple IVS allerts set up (trip wire, intrusion zone), so when I drive up the driveway, get outta the car, and walk to the front door, I trigger 6 to 8 "events"
- Push notifcations (using gDMSS Plus) work extremely well. Befoe I reach my front door, I hear all the push notifications tones on my phone,
- -- Multiple tones tell me there's really someone on my property, it's not a false alarm due to racoon, squirrel, etc.
- Then the mails show up. I use Gmail filters to only keep the emails with snaps. Email 1 (event start) & email 3 (event end) go to trash.
- About half the time, email 2 with snap is lost.

I've struggled mightily. As have others. I changed to other email services, thinking it was a Google anti-spam defense. No difference. It's the NVR is my conclusion.

The NVR is busy making "Regular" records, and "Alarm" records. So email perf suffers.

Long story short: DO NOT depend on the NVR sending a) timely and b) dependable emails. Use gDMSS plus or iDMSS plus and rely on push notifications. I stopped leaning at windmills.

Be flexible, grasshopper.... :D

Fastb

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
4208 should support it, and all you need to do on NVR is setup the events.. subscribe to them in the mobile app and your done.

Reaction score
I have to agree, Dahua NVR's suck big time with their email alert functionality. It would seem easier, to just make available a simple text messaging option with a jpg attachment, in the NVR. I'd say Dahua has their proverbial head up their ass for not having this yet.