Dahua NVR: continuous record + motion detection marking?

Sunfox

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Out of the box, my new NVR5216-16P-4KS2E was configured for continuous recording, which is what I want. But, I was hoping for a way to have the timeline indicate motion events.

What exactly is the best way to go about this? Using all Dahua cameras.

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Out of the box, my new NVR5216-16P-4KS2E was configured for continuous recording, which is what I want. But, I was hoping for a way to have the timeline indicate motion events.

What exactly is the best way to go about this? Using all Dahua cameras.
Set up the times you want motion to be active in the schedule.

Sunfox

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Okay, but since that's a "storage" schedule it implies, to me, that it's going to potentially record events twice, once continuous and again for all motion?

And how about the individual channel settings - do I then need to enable Video Detect and NOT select "Record Channel"? Or leave that enabled?

tigerwillow1

Known around here
Reaction score
The nvr does not record anything twice. When the are no events, it starts a new file (marked in green on the timeline) once per hour. When an event happens, it closes the "green" file, and starts a new one (yellow for motion, orange for IVS, and red for hardwired trigger input). When the recording time for the event is over, that file is closed and a new green file is started. I don't particularly like that method, but it is what it is. For events to record there are a few places they have to be set up in both the camera and nvr. The events need to be enabled, have a record channel set, and the storage schedule set. There were a few times it took me a while to find all the settings that had to be made.

Sunfox

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Ah, I see. They should really change that to just record an index file of “events” for the bigger files. (Yeah I know, get BI, but this is enough for me).

I used to run other, older Dahua cams using the native in-cam software to record motion to a NAS and it was very buggy - it would occasionally have 2 or 3 different files going recording the same frames (but for different durations).

tigerwillow1

Known around here
Reaction score
Until the next-to-last nvr firmware update, there was a major problem with lost frames when an event happened and the file switch occurred. You lost the exact frames you needed the most. Had that not been fixed I would have either pulled out all my hair or switched to BI by now. At this point the nvr is working well for how I use it.